Determine the direction of a spin state given the state

In summary: We can write the wave function as follows:$$|\psi>=\frac{e^{-i\frac{\pi}{12}}}{\sqrt{3}}|+>+e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{e^{-i\frac{5\pi}{12}}}{\sqrt{3}}|->$$Then$$\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=e^{-i\frac{\pi}{12}}/\sqrt{3}$$$$\phi = -\frac{\pi}{12}$$In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quantum state in terms of phase factors and the use of the Bloch sphere representation. It is determined that the method used
Foracle
Homework Statement
Given an unnormalized spin state
##\Psi=(1+i)|+>-(1+i\sqrt{3})|->##
which direction does this spin point to?
Relevant Equations
##|n;+> = cos\frac{\theta}{2}|+>+sin\frac{\theta}{2}e^{i\phi}|->##
From the relevant equation above, there is not imaginary part in the |+> state, so I multiplied the state by (1-i). The state is then :
##\Psi=(2)|+>-(1+\sqrt{3})+i(\sqrt{3}-1)|->##
Then I normalize it :
##\Psi=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})|+>-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1+\sqrt{3})+i(\sqrt{3}-1)|->##

From the |n;+> equation above, I concluded from the |+> part that :
##cos\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}##
But when I did the same thing from the |-> part, I got different value from ##cos\frac{\theta}{2}##

My guess is that this method of determining direction of spin state is probably wrong.

Edit: Somehow the Latex is not working, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method is good.
Notice that the coefficient of the - state gives you ##\sin{\frac{\theta}{2}}##, not the cosine, maybe that's the problem.
To use LaTeX you need to use the $ or the # symbols (2before and 2 after the expression)
Take a look at the LaTeX Guide

Likes Foracle
Gaussian97 said:
I think your method is good.
Notice that the coefficient of the - state gives you ##\sin{\frac{\theta}{2}}##, not the cosine, maybe that's the problem.
To use LaTeX you need to use the $ or the # symbols (2before and 2 after the expression)
Take a look at the LaTeX Guide
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks man! Can't believe I missed such that 😅.

About the Latex, I have added the # symbols but it seems like its still not working. Do you know what's wrong with it?
Edit: Never mind, the Latex works now. Thanks again!

Here's an idea: $$\tan \frac \theta 2 = \frac{|1 - i\sqrt 3|}{|1+i|} = \sqrt 2$$

Here is another idea. You have found that
##\Psi=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})|+>-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1+\sqrt{3})+i(\sqrt{3}-1)|->## from which you can identify

##\sin\dfrac{\theta}{2}e^{i\phi}=-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1+\sqrt{3})+i(\sqrt{3}-1).##
Separate real and imaginary parts, $$\sin\frac{\theta}{2}\cos\phi=-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1+\sqrt{3})~;~~\sin\frac{\theta}{2}\sin\phi=\sqrt{3}-1$$ and get ##\tan\phi## from this.

Likes Foracle and PeroK
I have the following suggestions. First, write the wave function in terms of phase factors. We have.
$$
(1+i)|+>= \sqrt{2}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}|+>
$$
$$
-(1+i\sqrt{3})|->=-2e^{i\frac{\pi}{3}}|->=2e^{i\frac{4\pi}{3}}|->
$$
$$
|\psi>=\sqrt{2}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}|+>+2e^{i\frac{4\pi}{3}}|->
$$
Now normalize the w.f. Since
$$
\sqrt{2}^2 + 2^2=6
$$
$$
|\psi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(\sqrt{2}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}|+>+2e^{i\frac{4\pi}{3}}|->)
$$
$$
=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}|+>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\frac{4\pi}{3}}|->
$$
With the Bloch sphere representation we know that the quantum state doesn't change if we multiply the w.f. by any number of unit norm, i.e. ##e^{i\zeta}|\psi>=|\psi>##. For our w.f. multiply by ##\zeta=-i\frac{\pi}{4}## to get
$$
\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|+>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}e^{i\frac{13\pi}{12}}|->
$$
Thus
$$
\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}
$$
$$
\phi=\frac{13\pi}{12}
$$

Likes Foracle, PeroK and kuruman
A neat suggestion.

What is a spin state?

A spin state refers to the quantum mechanical property of a particle, such as an electron, that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. It can have two possible values: spin up or spin down.

How is the direction of a spin state determined?

The direction of a spin state is determined by the orientation of the particle's spin relative to a chosen axis. This can be measured using techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging or electron spin resonance.

What are the possible values for a spin state?

The possible values for a spin state are spin up (+1/2) and spin down (-1/2). These values are based on the spin quantum number, which is a fundamental property of particles.

Can a particle have a spin state other than spin up or spin down?

No, a particle can only have a spin state of spin up or spin down. This is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be changed.

How does the spin state of a particle affect its behavior?

The spin state of a particle can affect its behavior in various ways, such as determining its magnetic properties and how it interacts with other particles. It is also a key factor in many quantum phenomena and technologies.