Refuting Perpetual Motion with Magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a perpetual motion machine using magnets and the repelling force between them. The speaker refutes this idea by stating that it goes against the laws of thermodynamics and that friction would eventually cause the machine to come to a stop. However, the other person argues that the repelling force of the magnets would counteract the lost energy. The speaker, being a layman, is unable to explain why this wouldn't work at a fundamental level and is seeking a more satisfying explanation from someone else. The conversation also mentions that the discussion of perpetual motion is not allowed on a certain website.
acesuv
My friend believes that he's able to create a perpetual motion machine using carefully arranged magnets and the repelling force between them in order to spin a turbine.

To refute this, I argued that perpetual motion is against the laws of thermodynamics and that friction would eventually cause the turbine to come to a rest. HOWEVER, he counters that as long as the magnets keep repelling each other, they will counteract the lost energy.

Being a layman, I am unable to really tell him why this wouldn't work at a fundamental level. Intuitively, it really does seem as though the magnets would keep repelling each other.

So I'm really hoping that somebody could give me a more satisfying explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello acesuv
We do not discuss PM on PF. Read our rules.
It avoids our having to deal with all sorts of loonies. You are right to reject the idea on basic grounds because there is always a basic flaw in any of the schemes that people suggest. They may be very inventive and can sometimes make someone rich, at other people's (mug's) expense.

What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the hypothetical concept of a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. It violates the laws of thermodynamics and is considered impossible to achieve.

How do magnets play a role in perpetual motion?

Magnets are often proposed as a solution for achieving perpetual motion. However, they cannot create energy on their own and therefore cannot be used to create a perpetual motion machine.

What is the principle behind using magnets to refute perpetual motion?

The principle behind using magnets to refute perpetual motion is based on the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Since magnets cannot create energy on their own, they cannot be used to create a perpetual motion machine.

Can a machine using magnets operate indefinitely?

No, a machine using magnets cannot operate indefinitely. Eventually, the magnetic fields will weaken and the machine will stop functioning.

Why is it important to refute perpetual motion with magnets?

It is important to refute perpetual motion with magnets because it is a scientifically impossible concept. By understanding and debunking this idea, we can prevent people from wasting time and resources on futile attempts to create perpetual motion machines.