A perpetual machine model that sets me thinking

In summary: And also, do tell me how to rotate an image by 45 degrees in Windows 7 Paint, if you know.In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a perpetual machine and an inventor's argument for its possibility. However, it was agreed that such machines are not possible due to the laws of physics. The conversation also included a request for help with rotating an image in Windows 7 Paint.
cng99
Now I'm not a PMI (perpetual machine inventor). In fact I'm quite convinced that there is no such thing as that. But a while ago, I saw the schematics of a perpetual machine that is hard to debate.

Well this is how the machine worked. The inventor argued that if you have two magnets as arranged in figure A, with a ferromagnetic substance in between, the magnets will be attracted toward the metal. But as you bring the objects upwards, they'll repel each other as the metal gets thinner and the end is reached.

Now based on this argument, he created an arrangement as shown in B and argues that these wheels would rotate forever, as the magnet's attract at the bottom of the metal piece and repel towards the top.

KdrEX.png

Now this looks very convincing. Can anyone resolve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
And also, do tell me how to rotate an image by 45 degrees in Windows 7 Paint, if you know.

E N E R G Y

is always why it won't work. It always is.

Forget the forces that you think you can see operating. To get the wheel from that position to the next, you need to put energy IN. The wheel will reach an angle where the Potential energy is at a minimum and it will stay there (or oscillate about the position, finally coming to a halt).Windows Paint sucks. Get a decent free drawing package like Open Office and that will do all the simple (vector) drawing you need. Much better.

cng99 said:
Now I'm not a PMI (perpetual machine inventor). In fact I'm quite convinced that there is no such thing as that. But a while ago, I saw the schematics of a perpetual machine that is hard to debate.

Well this is how the machine worked. The inventor argued that if you have two magnets as arranged in figure A, with a ferromagnetic substance in between, the magnets will be attracted toward the metal. But as you bring the objects upwards, they'll repel each other as the metal gets thinner and the end is reached.

Now based on this argument, he created an arrangement as shown in B and argues that these wheels would rotate forever, as the magnet's attract at the bottom of the metal piece and repel towards the top.

KdrEX.png

Now this looks very convincing. Can anyone resolve this?

We do not waste people's time discussing PMMs here on the PF. That is why it is on the Banned Topics list at the Rules link at the top of the page. Please read some of the old locked PMM threads to find out why they don't/can't work.

PF Rules said:
Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions

Search PF and you will find many threads that have been closed in a number of forums. As for S&D, any claim of this nature would be reproducible and/or testable by the scientific community; hence there is no need for debate.
EDIT by berkeman -- here are some recent locked PMM threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=522548
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=520290
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=7735
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515402
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=403572

I appreciate the curiosity and critical thinking that this perpetual machine model sets off. However, it is important to approach such claims with a scientific mindset and evaluate them based on established principles and laws of physics.

Firstly, the concept of a perpetual machine goes against the fundamental law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Therefore, it is impossible for a machine to generate infinite energy without any external input.

In the case of the perpetual machine described, the energy required to initially set the magnets in motion and overcome friction would eventually be depleted, resulting in the machine coming to a stop. This is because the magnetic force between the two magnets would eventually weaken as they move further apart, and the energy required to maintain the rotation would exceed the energy produced by the system.

Additionally, the arrangement shown in figure B does not take into account the effects of gravity and other external forces that would also impact the motion of the machine. These factors would further limit the machine's ability to produce perpetual motion.

In conclusion, while the perpetual machine model may seem convincing at first glance, it is important to critically evaluate it and consider the laws of physics before coming to any conclusions. As scientists, it is our responsibility to question and test such claims in order to advance our understanding of the world.

Related to A perpetual machine model that sets me thinking

1. What is a perpetual machine model?

A perpetual machine model is a hypothetical device that is able to operate indefinitely without any external energy input. It is often associated with the concept of perpetual motion, which is the idea of a motion that continues indefinitely without any external force.

2. How does a perpetual machine model work?

A perpetual machine model is designed to have a self-sustaining energy source, meaning it can continuously power itself without any external input. This is often achieved through the use of magnets, gravity, or other forms of renewable energy. However, no such device has been proven to work as it violates the laws of thermodynamics.

3. What are the potential benefits of a perpetual machine model?

If a perpetual machine model were to exist, it would revolutionize the way we generate and use energy. It would eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels and other non-renewable energy sources, leading to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly world.

4. What are the limitations of a perpetual machine model?

The main limitation of a perpetual machine model is that it goes against the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, it is considered impossible to create a perpetual machine that can continuously operate without any external input.

5. Is there any evidence of a working perpetual machine model?

No, there is currently no evidence of a working perpetual machine model. Many people have claimed to have created such a device, but none have been proven to work. The scientific community remains skeptical of the possibility of a perpetual machine model due to the laws of thermodynamics.