Reframing the Special Theory of Relativity

In summary, the statement is not clear enough to be either true or false. It may be true, but it may also be false. It is not clear what the author is asking.
pawprint
The question: is the following statement true or false?

"If the Special Theory of Relativity is re-framed so that instead of c being constant, distance or time is the constant, it remains valid."

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of any way that could be true that wouldn't violate the principle of relativity.

Offhand, I'd say it's not clear enough to be either true or false, unless you give more details about what you mean by "reframing".

I'm asking whether the mathematics hold together. I'm not suggesting the hypothesis is true.

What does it even mean for distance or time to be constant in this context?

no it doesn't

length & time are derived from c, which is the constant, which is a speed (length x time).

It is addressed with the terms proper time & proper length. these are your "distance [length] or time is the constant".

So that being said you could rephrase your postulate to "the measure of proper time + proper length is constant", of course you would have to define what "proper time / length" is..again those are defined by c.

Pengwuino said:
What does it even mean for distance or time to be constant in this context?

What does it mean for c to be constant? All I'm asking is whether the SR, Lorentz et.al. equations can be validly reframed under the assumption that t, not c, is constant. I'm not trying to overturn physics, just get a better understanding. A yes or no answer will do.

Last edited:
pawprint said:
I'm asking whether the mathematics hold together. I'm not suggesting the hypothesis is true.

Then you must specify what you mean mathematically.

pawprint said:
What does it mean for c to be constant? All I'm asking is whether the SR, Lorentz et.al. equations can be validly reframed under the assumption that t, not c, is constant. I'm not trying to overturn physics, just get a better understanding. A yes or no answer will do.

It means that given any inertial reference frame, [itex] {{\Delta x}\over{\Delta t}} = constant[/itex], but what does it mean for space or time to be constant? Would you mean [itex]\Delta x = constant[/itex], for example? That would certainly invalidate Special Relativity.

I comprehend SR without understanding the math. I am asking if, were t to be defined as constant and c allowed to vary as t does within the current framework, would the same equations balance. I apologise for my lack of formal mathematical training, but surely this is answerable?

pawprint said:
All I'm asking is whether the SR, Lorentz et.al. equations can be validly reframed under the assumption that t, not c, is constant.
Not that I know of. Particularly not given particle decay and relativistic Doppler experiments.

pawprint said:
I comprehend SR without understanding the math. I am asking if, were t to be defined as constant and c allowed to vary as t does within the current framework, would the same equations balance. I apologise for my lack of formal mathematical training, but surely this is answerable?
We have lots of experimental evidence that if you take two synchronised clocks, move them apart and bring them back together, then they are no longer synchronised. So the only way your idea could work would be if we redefined time to be something other than what clocks measure.

In a sense that's what Lorentz' aether theory did: it asserted a "true" time relative to an aether, and a "false" time measured by moving clocks. The problem was, it gave no method for detecting the aether, so no way of distinguishing true time from false time.

DrGreg said:
We have lots of experimental evidence that if you take two synchronised clocks, move them apart and bring them back together, then they are no longer synchronised. So the only way your idea could work would be if we redefined time to be something other than what clocks measure.

I know that, but it's not what I'm asking. If the answer to my question is 'yes' then we would blame the variable speed of light for the phenomenon. Once again: Can the equations stand mathematically under this assumption, or do they fail to balance?

Last edited:
pawprint said:
Once again: Can the equations stand mathematically under this assumption
Once again, not to my knowledge.

I have answered this question 3 times now, it is getting irritating. Please ask something new.

Thank you. Had you answered 'yes' or 'no' without qualification I'd have accepted it.

pawprint said:
Thank you. Had you answered 'yes' or 'no' without qualification I'd have accepted it.
If I knew everything then I could have answered yes or no without qualification. Since I am not omniscient I responded (3 times) that the answer was no to the best of my knowledge.

If you are looking for omniscient responses I would recommend praying rather than posting to an internet forum.

Unless somebody knowelgeable posts a contradictory answer I consider this closed. Apologies for being imprecise once again. Thank you all.

We can make weird simultaneity conventions in which the one-way speed of light becomes all kinds of crazy things. So there may in principle be some simultaneity convention under which x'=x happens to be true, but I haven't worked it out. In any case, it would be nothing but a curiosity.

pawprint said:

There's nothing wrong with the math of special relativity, but I don't see what that has to do with your question, which still seems rather vague at best.

Your original question seems to be along the lines of "if you call a heart a spade, how many black cards are there in a card deck", at least to me. It sort of depends on what you mean by calling a heart a spade, and it's not clear why you'd want to do such a thing. It seems rather more likely to cause confusion than anything :-(.

Similarly, we have good concepts of what distance and time are, and how they are measured. And special relativity is about the properties of time and distance as they are commonly understood and measured - and they don't have the properties you seem to want,. It seems more productive to live with this than to get into some morass of redefining existing concepts that work well.

Related to Reframing the Special Theory of Relativity

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and how the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the Special Theory of Relativity differ from the General Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in straight lines, while the General Theory of Relativity includes the effects of gravity and accelerated motion. The General Theory of Relativity is a more comprehensive theory that builds upon the Special Theory of Relativity.

3. What is meant by "reframing" the Special Theory of Relativity?

Reframing the Special Theory of Relativity refers to the process of reexamining and potentially revising the theory in light of new evidence or alternative perspectives. It involves looking at the theory from different angles and considering its implications in different scenarios.

4. What are some potential implications of reframing the Special Theory of Relativity?

Potential implications of reframing the Special Theory of Relativity could include a better understanding of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, as well as the possibility of reconciling it with other theories, such as quantum mechanics. It could also lead to new insights and advancements in technology.

5. Why is it important to continue studying and reframing the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate, but it is a complex theory that still has many unanswered questions. By continuing to study and reframe it, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe and potentially make new discoveries that could revolutionize our understanding of physics.