Refraction at grazing incidence

In summary: The important point is that the angle of incidence is grazing, which is why the ray is refracted instead of continuing in a straight line. The pictorial representation may not be accurate, but the concept remains the same.
nilic1

Homework Statement

I have a problem with the question in the attachment below. I have no idea on how to proceed as I thought that the ray of light would continue to travel in a straight line with no refraction whatsoever.

Homework Equations

n1sinθ1=n2sin2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost on this one!

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
nilic1 said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem with the question in the attachment below. I have no idea on how to proceed as I thought that the ray of light would continue to travel in a straight line with no refraction whatsoever.

Homework Equations

n1sinθ1=n2sin2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost on this one!

The angles of incidence and refraction are defined as angles enclosed by the rays and the normal of the interface. Grazing incidence means θ1=90°. What angle does the refracted ray enclose with the normal of the face of cube?

ehild

ehild said:
The angles of incidence and refraction are defined as angles enclosed by the rays and the normal of the interface. Grazing incidence means θ1=90°. What angle does the refracted ray enclose with the normal of the face of cube?

ehild

My new attempt is:

n1 sinθ1 = n2sinθ2
1.55 x sin90 = 1.33 x sin θ2
1.55/1.33 = sin θ2
1.165 = sin θ2
∴ something is wrong!

The light enters from air. What is n1 then?

ehild

n = 1 for air.

so the working changes to

n1 sinθ1 = n2 sinθ2
1 x sin 90 = 1.33 x sinθ2
1/1.33 = sinθ2

θ2 = 48.5 degrees

I am still puzzled ... so when angle i = 90, the medium is air and not glass. If this is so then is the glass cube is irrelevant for the question? If so wouldn't the ray of light go straight and not be bent at the water surface or in the water?

According to the answer in the book the angle in part b ii is 62.9 degrees. Still cannot figure out the path taken by the ray of light. I appreciate your help ehild.

ok finally I got it... but my question still is .. Why doesn't the ray continue to travel in a straight line?

Last edited:
The ray enters from air onto the surface of the glass cube. That grazing incidence means that it makes an angle a bit less than 90° with the normal, so it really strikes the air/glass surface and enters into the glass, instead going straight into the water. The refracted ray travels inside the glass cube and falls onto the bottom face at a certain angle. Here it is refracted again, from glass into water. Draw the path of the ray and calculate the angles.

ehild

Attachments

• glasswater.JPG
    glasswater.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 552
ehild said:
The ray enters from air onto the surface of the glass cube. That grazing incidence means that it makes an angle a bit less than 90° with the normal, so it really strikes the air/glass surface and enters into the glass, instead going straight into the water. The refracted ray travels inside the glass cube and falls onto the bottom face at a certain angle. Here it is refracted again, from glass into water. Draw the path of the ray and calculate the angles.

ehild

So grazing is slightly less than 90 degrees... That explains everything! Thank you so much ehild.

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

ehild said:

ehild
How do you know from which point the light ray is entering inside the glass cube? Is the pictorial representation of the question
wrong? I mean why isn't the light ray entering first at the upper left corner of the cube ?

Rongeet Banerjee said:
How do you know from which point the light ray is entering inside the glass cube? Is the pictorial representation of the question
wrong? I mean why isn't the light ray entering first at the upper left corner of the cube ?
The position where the light enters the glass cube is arbitrarily chosen.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee

Related to Refraction at grazing incidence

What is refraction at grazing incidence?

Refraction at grazing incidence is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray travels through a medium and reaches the interface at a very shallow angle. The light ray is bent or refracted as it passes through the interface, resulting in a change in direction.

What is the difference between refraction at grazing incidence and normal incidence?

The main difference is the angle at which the light ray hits the interface. In normal incidence, the light ray hits the interface at a 90 degree angle, while in grazing incidence, the light ray hits the interface at a very shallow angle. This difference in angle results in different levels of refraction and reflection.

What factors affect the amount of refraction at grazing incidence?

The amount of refraction at grazing incidence is affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the wavelength of the light. As the angle of incidence gets closer to 90 degrees, the amount of refraction decreases. Higher refractive indices and shorter wavelengths also result in more refraction.

What is the practical application of refraction at grazing incidence?

One practical application of refraction at grazing incidence is in the design of optical devices such as prisms, lenses, and mirrors. By utilizing the phenomenon of refraction at grazing incidence, these devices can manipulate the direction and focus of light to produce desired effects.

What are some examples of natural occurrences of refraction at grazing incidence?

One example is the formation of rainbows. When sunlight passes through rain droplets at a shallow angle, the different wavelengths of light are refracted and dispersed, resulting in the colorful spectrum of a rainbow. Another example is the mirage effect, where light rays are refracted at a shallow angle by hot air near the ground, creating an illusion of water in the distance.