How to Apply Snell's Law Without Knowing the Index of Refraction?

In summary, the problem involves an observer trying to use Snell's law to find the refracted and incident angles in a medium with an unknown index of refraction. The observer needs to use geometry to calculate the angles and then use Snell's law to find the index of refraction.
Hello2016

Homework Statement

[/B]
I know that the depth is 30 cm , the apprared depth to the observer is 15 cm. But how am i going to use snells law to get the refracted and incident angle when i have no idea what the index of refraction is for n2 liquid? ?

Homework Equations

N1sin1=n2sin2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use smells law to figure out both angles but I am missing the index of refraction and i don't know how to compute it using the depth and length givenhttps://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/93432

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello2016 said:

Homework Statement

I know that the depth is 30 cm , the apprared depth to the observer is 15 cm. But how am i going to use snells law to get the refracted and incident angle when i have no idea what the index of refraction is for n2 liquid? ?[/B]

Homework Equations

N1sin1=n2sin2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use smells law to figure out both angles but I am missing the index of refraction and i don't know how to compute it using the depth and length givenhttps://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/93432
You need to figure out the angles using geometry, from the figure drawn. Only after that do you use Snell's law to find the index of refraction.

nrqed said:
You need to figure out the angles using geometry, from the figure drawn. Only after that do you use Snell's law to find the index of refraction.
Oh so like tan sin and cos?

Hello2016 said:
Oh so like tan sin and cos?
Yes, draw right angle triangles, use the apparent and real depths to get the sides of some triangles and then use trigonometry to find the angles.

Hey I am not sure how i should use x in the geometry

Related to How to Apply Snell's Law Without Knowing the Index of Refraction?

1. What is refraction and how does it work?

Refraction is the phenomenon of light bending as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is due to the change in speed of light as it travels through these mediums, causing it to change direction.

2. What is the formula for calculating refraction?

The formula for calculating refraction is given by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light enters a medium, affects the amount of refraction that occurs. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, causing the light to bend more.

4. What factors can affect the amount of refraction that occurs?

The amount of refraction that occurs can be affected by the angle of incidence, the difference in the speed of light between the two mediums, and the density of the mediums. For example, a greater difference in density between two mediums will result in a larger angle of refraction.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in the lenses of eyeglasses, cameras, and microscopes. It is also used in the design of optical instruments, such as telescopes and binoculars, to help us see objects that are far away.