Reflective property of ellipse.

In summary, Dorothy is trying to solve an equation for the ellipse, but gets stuck. She finds a solution using basic geometry and the principle of least time.
Dorothy Weglend

Homework Statement

Prove the reflective property of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1 (equation of ellipse)
tan theta = m2-m1/(1+m1m2)
m = (y1-y0)/(x1-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologize if this is to simple for this forum, not sure where else to put it.

My idea was to draw the tangent to the ellipse, and lines from the Focii F' and F to the tangent. Then prove that the angles formed by the intersection of F' and the tangent, F and the tangent, are equal. It isn't working out as I had hoped.

Using a tangent to the first quadrant of the ellipse, F' is focus at (-c,0) and F is on the right, (c, 0):

[tex]m_T = -\frac{b^2x_0}{a^2y_0}[/tex]
[tex]m_{F} = \frac{y_0}{x_0-c}[/tex]
[tex]m_{F'} = \frac{y_0}{x_0+c}[/tex]

I got the slope of the tangent by differentiating the equation of the ellipse.

[tex]\tan\theta = \frac{\frac{-b^2x_o}{a^2y_0}-\frac{y_0}{x_0-c}}{1-\frac{b^2x_0y_0}{a^2y_o(x_o-c)}}[/tex]

Which, if my algebra is correct, simplifies to

[tex]\tan\theta = \frac{-(b^2x_0(x_0-c) + a^2y_0)}{a^2y_0(x_0-c) - b^2x_0y_0}[/tex]

A similar process leads to the angle between the tangent and the line from the left focus, F', with result:

[tex]\tan\phi = \frac{-(b^2x_0(x_0+c)+a^2y_0)}{a^2y_0(x_0+c)-b^2x_0y_0}[/tex]

Which don't seem to be equal

Can someone point out where I have gone wrong?

Thank you,
Dorothy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dorothy Weglend said:
I got the slope of the tangent by differentiating the equation of the ellipse.

[tex]\tan\theta = \frac{\frac{-b^2x_o}{a^2y_0}-\frac{y_0}{x_0-c}}{1-\frac{b^2x_0y_0}{a^2y_o(x_o-c)}}[/tex]

How did you get this equation? (It looks like a tangent of a sum of angles).
It may be a good idea to check for sign errors (the slope is downwards, but the angles (and thus the tangents) are measured positively).

An easier way to do the problem is to just use the principle of least time.

Galileo said:
How did you get this equation? (It looks like a tangent of a sum of angles).
It may be a good idea to check for sign errors (the slope is downwards, but the angles (and thus the tangents) are measured positively).

An easier way to do the problem is to just use the principle of least time.

That's the tangent equation I listed in the 'relevant' equations section. Well, even if I knew what the principle of least time was, I think I am supposed to do it somehow, along this fashion.

I will check it over yet again...

Thank you, Galileo.

Dorothy

Dorothy Weglend said:
That's the tangent equation I listed in the 'relevant' equations section. Well, even if I knew what the principle of least time was, I think I am supposed to do it somehow, along this fashion.

I will check it over yet again...

Thank you, Galileo.

Dorothy

The general idea you use to solve this question seems correct. I concur with Galileo about checking the signs and the math. In your formula for tan theta = m2-m1/(1+m1m2), make sure you know which slope is m1 and which is m2 so that the signs match.

Unless you are specifically required to use calculus and slopes to show this, you can easily prove this using geometry and some basic properties of the ellipse.

You don't need to actually find the angles of incidence and reflection and show they are equal.

If you find unit vectors in the direction from the 2 foci to a point on the ellipse, you can find a vector that bisects that angle. Then show it is perpendicular to the tangent.

Using the parametric equation for the ellipse (x = a cos t, y = b sin t) may also help.

Thank you all so much for your help. I found my problem.

Solving the equation of the ellipse for y, and substituting this in the equations for the slope, along with the additional substitution of a^2-b^2=c^2, I was able to get

[tex]\frac{ab}{c\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{-ab}{c\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}[/tex]

This second angle (formed by the line from the left focus) is the supplement of the one of interest, so, so the negative of this is the tangent of that angle.

Thanks again,
Dorothy

http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/conics/focus_ellipse/focus_ellipse.html
Geometric Proof, Might be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Reflective property of ellipse.

1. What is the reflective property of an ellipse?

The reflective property of an ellipse states that any ray of light emanating from one focus of an ellipse will reflect off the ellipse's boundary and pass through the other focus.

2. How is the reflective property of an ellipse different from that of a parabola?

The reflective property of an ellipse is different from that of a parabola because an ellipse has two foci, while a parabola has only one. This means that a parabola will reflect light rays only to a single point, while an ellipse will reflect them to the other focus.

3. How is the reflective property of an ellipse used in real life?

The reflective property of an ellipse is used in many practical applications, such as in satellite dishes and telescopes. These devices use the reflective property to focus incoming light to a single point, allowing for clearer images and signals.

4. What is the geometric significance of the reflective property of an ellipse?

The reflective property of an ellipse is one of the defining characteristics of the shape. It is what differentiates an ellipse from other conic sections, and it is used as a key feature in the mathematical definition of an ellipse.

5. Can the reflective property of an ellipse be proven mathematically?

Yes, the reflective property of an ellipse can be proven mathematically using the properties of conic sections and the focus-directrix definition of an ellipse. This proof involves using the law of reflection and the geometric properties of an ellipse.