Reflection of a plane mirror at a focal point

In summary, using a high quality, aspherical mirror and minimizing the optical path length can help achieve a reasonable signal with minimal atmospheric interference in this setup.
christopher.s
I am trying to interface a detector system to a FT-IR spectrometer. The spectrometer uses off-axis parabolic mirrors to focus light in the center of a sample compartment, where it diverges and again strikes an off axis parabolic mirror, focusing it on a detector. I would like to place a plane mirror at a 45° angle, at the focal point of the first mirror. My question is, what kind of beam divergence can I expect with this setup? The detector element itself will be housed in a dewar behind some windows and filters, approximately 6-8" from the mirror in the sample compartment. There is a compound parabolic concentrator, located about 3inches in front of the detector, with a .500" entrance aperture. Can I expect reasonable signal from this setup? This will be used in the IR, from about 20-700cm-1. Will atmospheric interference be significant? I have attached a quick sketch of the outline of the system.

Thanks!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57447&stc=1&d=1365048951

Attachments

• ray diagram.jpg
    ray diagram.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 500
Science news on Phys.org
The beam divergence you can expect with this setup depends on the size and shape of the mirrors and the distance from the mirror to the detector element. Generally speaking, the beam divergence should be small enough that atmospheric interference is not a significant factor. However, if the optical path between the mirror and the detector is too long or the mirrors are not properly designed, the beam divergence could be too large to produce a strong signal. To minimize the beam divergence, you should use a high quality, aspherical mirror with a short focal length. Additionally, you should make sure the optical path between the mirror and the detector is as short as possible.

Related to Reflection of a plane mirror at a focal point

1. How is the image formed in a plane mirror at a focal point?

The image formed in a plane mirror at a focal point is a virtual image, meaning it is not a physical object but appears to be behind the mirror. The light rays from an object are reflected by the mirror and appear to come from a point behind the mirror, creating the illusion of an image.

2. What is the distance between the object and its image in a plane mirror at a focal point?

The distance between the object and its image in a plane mirror at a focal point is equal to the distance between the object and the mirror. This is known as the focal length of the mirror.

3. How does the orientation of the image compare to the orientation of the object in a plane mirror at a focal point?

The orientation of the image in a plane mirror at a focal point is the same as the orientation of the object. This is because the light rays are reflected at equal angles to the mirror, preserving the orientation of the object.

4. Can the image in a plane mirror at a focal point be magnified or reduced?

No, the image in a plane mirror at a focal point will always have the same size as the object. This is because the distance between the object and the mirror is the same as the distance between the image and the mirror, resulting in the same size image.

5. How does the position of the image change when the object is moved in front of a plane mirror at a focal point?

The position of the image in a plane mirror at a focal point will also change when the object is moved. As the object moves closer to the mirror, the image will appear to move further away from the mirror. As the object moves away from the mirror, the image will appear to move closer to the mirror.