Help with my large mirror and camera.

In summary, you need a telecentric lens to project an image of the source onto an index card or camera sensor.
iansmith6
This isn't homework, I really have this setup. :-)

I have an 18" mirror with an 80" focal length. The light from a point light source at twice that distance (and offset to the side slightly) bounces it's beams off the mirror and back to form a perfect image of itself next to the light if you hold up some paper.

Moving the paper back the image expands, and keeps expanding of course.

I want a lens that can sit behind that convergance point and make the light parallel so it projects the same size image no matter how far you move back from it.

This is to try and overcome issues with cameras where the diverging light is blocked inside the lens by the iris and only the center of the mirror is lit up instead of the entire thing.

Some of you might recognise this as a very similar setup to a Focolaut test.

So the question is... what kind of lens do I need? I have a number of random biconvex lenses I tried, but none have the right proprties to make the light paralell. Several work well to focus the light into a nice sharp image, but cameras can't seem to focus on that.

18" diamater mirror
Parabolic shape
f4.5
80.6" focal length

If anyone knows what properties a lens would need, does anyone know where I could get one? If it's not something "standard" I can find in a catalog somewhere that is.

Thanks!

-- www.ian.org

Science news on Phys.org
My first thought was that you need a telecentric lens, but reading more closely, you are asking for (essentially) an infinite depth of field (...'it projects the same size image no matter how far you move back from it')- you are asking to porject images of the source. I don't know a simple lens for that.

If, however, you are asking for a condenser lens- a lens to collimate light from both the source directly and the image of the source created by the mirror, that's a little simpler

Can you be a little more specific? If it's the latter, a simple plano-convex lens placed 1 focal length away from the (two) sources will generally suffice.

I'm not really sure what I am asking for, I have been trying so many variatons of cameras and lenses and setups. :-)

Here are some diagrams showing the problem with trying to photograph the reflected light.

SchlierenDiagram.png
CameraCloseup.png

So I need to stop the light from spreading out so fast. Something that would make it slowly converge instead might work.

With a single convex lens I can make a very nice projection onto an index card, or the bare sensor of a CCD. But most digital sensors are TINY and I can't get them close enough to even try and focus it onto, even if I can successfully rip out the lenses in front of it.

So I need to work with the camera glass elements intact.

Related to Help with my large mirror and camera.

1. How do I mount a large mirror for my camera?

There are a few different options for mounting a large mirror for your camera. One option is to use a heavy-duty adhesive, such as construction adhesive, to attach the mirror to the wall. Another option is to use mirror clips or brackets to secure the mirror in place. It is important to make sure that the mount is secure enough to hold the weight of the mirror and camera.

2. What type of mirror should I use for my camera?

The type of mirror you choose will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some options include a standard glass mirror, a safety mirror, or a two-way mirror. It is important to consider factors such as the size and weight of the mirror, as well as the lighting conditions in your filming location.

3. How do I prevent glare or reflections in my camera mirror?

To prevent glare or reflections in your camera mirror, you can apply an anti-reflective coating or film to the surface of the mirror. Another option is to adjust the lighting in your filming location to minimize any glare. Additionally, using a polarizing filter on your camera lens can help reduce reflections.

4. How do I clean and maintain my camera mirror?

To clean your camera mirror, you can use a soft, lint-free cloth and a mild glass cleaner. It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the mirror's surface. Regularly dusting the mirror and keeping it away from any potential sources of damage, such as water or extreme temperatures, can help maintain its quality.

5. How can I ensure my camera mirror is properly aligned?

To ensure that your camera mirror is properly aligned, you can use a level to make sure it is straight. You can also use a laser level to ensure that the mirror is perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Additionally, regularly checking and adjusting the mirror's alignment can help maintain its accuracy.