Reflection and Transmission Matrix for a 2x2 Hamiltonian in a Conducting Channel

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 2x2 Hamiltonian and a 2x1 wavefunction to find a reflection or transmission matrix for a conducting channel. The individual asks for guidance on how to approach this problem and the appropriate terminology and methods. They also clarify that they do not want the solution, only the method. The conversation ends with a comment on the difficulty of finding accurate answers in forums due to the large number of epistemologists.
sokrates
Suppose I have a 2x2 Hamiltonian describing a conducting channel, as a black box.

[tex]H_{Rashba}=\sigma_y k_x - \sigma_x k_y[/tex]

and also suppose I have an incident 2x1 wavefunction with up and down spin components, to this black box.

What I am trying to do is to write a 2x2 reflection (or transmission) matrix for the wavefunction that is incident to this region.

How can I do this? How do you go about doing such a problem? What are the methods or appropriate terminology for this kind of problem?

I hope the question is clear... Thanks in advance for any guidance.

(This is not homework) ( and I don't want the solution, just the method)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are so many epistemologists in this forum, nowadays, that nobody can answer even the simplest physics problems.

Good luck figuring which interpretation is better,

I found my answer.

Related to Reflection and Transmission Matrix for a 2x2 Hamiltonian in a Conducting Channel

What is an elementary scattering problem?

An elementary scattering problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves the scattering of a particle or wave by a potential. It is commonly used in physics to study the behavior of particles and waves as they interact with various potentials.

What are the key components of an elementary scattering problem?

The key components of an elementary scattering problem include the incident wave or particle, the potential that causes the scattering, and the scattered wave or particle. The problem also involves various mathematical equations and techniques to solve for the behavior of the scattered particle or wave.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering refers to a type of scattering where the total energy of the scattered particle or wave remains the same as the incident energy. Inelastic scattering, on the other hand, involves a transfer of energy between the incident particle or wave and the potential, resulting in a change in the total energy.

How is an elementary scattering problem solved?

An elementary scattering problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as the Born approximation, the partial wave analysis, or the S-matrix method. These methods involve solving differential equations and using various approximations and assumptions to find the solution.

What are some real-world applications of elementary scattering problems?

Elementary scattering problems have many applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields. They are used to study the behavior of particles in accelerators, the interaction of light with matter, and the structure of atomic nuclei. They also have applications in medical imaging and materials science.