Solve Delta Potential Well for Scattering Matrix & Prove Unitarity

In summary: Note that the wave-functions are different for x<b and x>b, so you will need to solve for each separately. In summary, Felicity is trying to solve for the scattering matrix for a potential well. She has found that it has the form (2ika/(2ika-λ) (e-2kib) λ/(2ika-λ) , (e2kib) λ/(2ika-λ) ), and that it is unitary and will yield the condition for bound states when the elements of that matrix become infinite. She has also discovered that there is a discontinuity in du/dx,
Felicity

Homework Statement

consider the scattering matrix for the potential

2m/hbar2 V(x) = λ/a δ(x-b)

show that it has the form

(2ika/(2ika-λ) , (e-2kib) λ/(2ika-λ)
(e2kib) λ/(2ika-λ) , 2ika/(2ika-λ)

(I've used commas just to separate terms in the matrix)

prove that it is unitary and that it will yield the condition for bound states when the elements of that matrix becoe infinite (this will only occur for λ < 0)

Homework Equations

suppose the matrix is expressed as

S11 S12
S21 S22

where S11 = (2ika/(2ika-λ)
S12 = (e-2kib) λ/(2ika-λ)
S21 = (e2kib) λ/(2ika-λ)
S22 = 2ika/(2ika-λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that this is a delta potential well at x=b

ok so I know that S11 = T S21= R S22 = T and S12 = R where T and R are the reflection and transmission coefficients so I figure that if I can find those then I show the s-matrix in the above form so here it goes...

take

u(x) = Arekx +Bre-kx x < b

= Ale-kx +Blekx x > b

the boundary condition is (du/dx at x = b+) - (du/dx at x = b-) = λ/a u(b)

so

k(Arekb -Bre-kb+Ale-kb -Blekb)= λ/a u(b)

then for an incoming particle that can be either reflected or transmitted I make Ar= 1 Al = r Bl=0 and Br=t
where r2 = R (reflection coefficient and t2= t (transmission coefficient)

to get

ekb-te-kb + re-kb= λ/a u(b)

so how do I solve for r and t separately and how do I get rid of the u(b)?

Thank you

Felicity

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you missing a bunch of "i"s in your wave-function exponents?

What is the potential for [itex]x \neq b[/itex]? What are the wave-functions in such a region of space?

PS: These forums support [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]. See this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 or click on my tex to see the code.

Thank you for replying to my question,

About the i's

I realize now that I was assuming that λ was negative which is the condition for bound states but I realize that this was not a good assumption (turns out this only a well when λ <0) and that the i's should in fact be there.

About the potential

I believe the potential where x does not equal b is 0 however in class my professor indicated that the particle/wave in such a potential does not actually live at b but around it and yet it is still bound (assuming a well)

Even with the i's however, I still end up with one equation featuring r, t and u(b). I'm not sure how to get the scattering amplitudes from this or if I am even on the right track.

Thanks for the heads up about Latex, I will familiarize myself with the system

Thanks again,

Felicity

So combining all of that and starting over... you should have, for an incoming particle from the left:

[tex]u_l(x<b)=e^{ikx}+re^{-ikx}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1)[/tex]

[tex]u_r(x>b)=te^{ikx}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\left[\frac{du_l}{dx}\right]_{x=b-}-~\left[\frac{du_r}{dx}\right]_{x=b+}=\frac{2m\lambda}{\hbar ^2} \int_{b-}^{b+} \delta (x-b)u(x)dx~~~(3)[/tex]

with (3) evaluated in the limit at [itex]b- \rightarrow b[/itex] from the left and [itex]b+ \rightarrow b[/itex] from the right.

Also keep in mind that while there is a discontinuity in [itex]du/dx[/itex], there is none in [itex]u(x)[/itex] itself.

[tex]u_l(x=b)=u_r(x=b)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(4)[/tex]

This is the second boundary condition that you need to solve for the coefficients.

Related to Solve Delta Potential Well for Scattering Matrix & Prove Unitarity

1. What is a delta potential well?

A delta potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a potential energy barrier in which the potential function is represented by a delta function. This means that the potential energy is infinite at the location of the delta function and zero everywhere else.

2. What is a scattering matrix?

A scattering matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the scattering of particles by a potential barrier. It relates the incoming and outgoing wave amplitudes of a system, and can be used to calculate the probability of a particle being scattered in a particular direction.

3. How do you solve a delta potential well for the scattering matrix?

To solve a delta potential well for the scattering matrix, you can use the Lippmann-Schwinger equation. This equation relates the scattering matrix to the potential function and the wave function of the particle. It can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory or numerical methods.

4. What does it mean to prove unitarity in the context of a delta potential well?

Unitarity refers to the conservation of probability in a system. In the context of a delta potential well, proving unitarity means showing that the scattering matrix satisfies certain conditions, such as being unitary, Hermitian, and having a determinant of 1. This ensures that the total probability of a particle being scattered is equal to 1, as expected in quantum mechanics.

5. Why is it important to prove unitarity in the solution of a delta potential well?

Proving unitarity in the solution of a delta potential well is important because it confirms the validity of the mathematical model and the accuracy of the calculated results. It also ensures the conservation of probability, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. Additionally, unitarity allows for the comparison of different solutions and the identification of any errors or inconsistencies in the calculations.