Reference suggestions for a struggling chemist.

It's a great reference to have.In summary, Damon is a new Ph.D. student in chemical physics and is seeking suggestions for references or books to help with working problems using Dirac notation and Hilbert Space mathematics. He is taking graduate level quantum mechanics and is struggling with problem solving, but believes that understanding the math will deepen his understanding of the concepts. One suggestion is Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, which has a good introductory chapter on Dirac notation.
dmr1577
Hello All,
Can anyone suggest some good references or books that can help me get used to working problems with the Dirac notation and the mathematics of Hilbert Space? I'm a new Ph.D. student in chemical physics, and I did my undergrad in Chem, with a math minor. I'm now taking graduate qm from the physics department and it's kicking my butt! I feel that once I get a handle on working with the Dirac notation and the math, the concepts will be more deeply understood. Right now I get the concepts, but problem solving is a struggle. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Damon

Physics news on Phys.org
Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics (I believe it's in the 2nd edition, but the first will probably be more or less the same) has a good introductory chapter that covers the Dirac notation.

Related to Reference suggestions for a struggling chemist.

1. How can I improve my understanding of basic chemistry concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of basic chemistry concepts is to review fundamental principles and theories through textbooks and online resources. You can also seek guidance from a more experienced chemist or enroll in a chemistry course.

2. What are some good reference books for struggling chemists?

Some good reference books for struggling chemists include "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore, "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro, and "General Chemistry" by Darrell D. Ebbing and Steven D. Gammon.

3. How can I improve my laboratory techniques and skills?

Improving laboratory techniques and skills requires practice and attention to detail. You can also learn from more experienced chemists, attend workshops or seminars, and read laboratory manuals and protocols.

4. What online resources can help me with my chemistry studies?

There are many online resources available to help with chemistry studies, such as Khan Academy, Chemguide, and ChemSpider. You can also find useful videos on YouTube, and participate in online forums and discussion groups.

5. How can I stay motivated and avoid getting discouraged while struggling with chemistry?

Staying motivated and avoiding discouragement while struggling with chemistry can be challenging, but it is important to remember that learning takes time and effort. You can seek support from peers and mentors, set achievable goals, and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to find real-world applications of chemistry to stay motivated.