Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Redundant menu items for groups and events?

• Admin

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
In the current Activity menu there are 2 items NEW GROUP MESSAGES and NEW EVENTS.
They do not seem to have any use.
Nor does COMMUNITY / GROUPS in the Forums menu seem to have use.
At least no one I know is a member of the only group The Cool Catz.
Is there any reason to keep them?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think the best thing to do besides just get rid of them is to edit the navbar while viewing the Activity Stream so that it's the same as elsewhere. Ackbach has been working at this for a while now so this is a project he has dibs on. Wh might actually one day have a consistent navbar :)

I'm brought up the topic of revising the navbar a couple of times but it hasn't gotten anywhere, but I'm willing to hear your thoughts on what edits you think would make the whole thing better. What you see now is already a very stripped down version of the standard vB list. We also tried grouping less important topics into the the drop-down menus. The drawback is using drop-down menus to hide things works and many members don't notice certain things about our site because it's not flashy enough.

This is just stuff to consider and I'm also trying to show that I've thought this over a bit and it's harder than it sounds to make a better navbar, especially alone. If you have more thoughts on the navbar stuff I'd love to read them and maybe others will have something to add here or there as well.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This is a user interface (UI) question. UI questions are unquestionably best answered by... users! I will do an exhaustive census of all the links under all the tabs, and find out which links people actually use via a required poll. I'm fairly certain ILS is correct about groups: they simply aren't utilized on MHB. If someone registers some time and decides to run with those, we can always put the link back in.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I now have the links nearly uniform across all tabs. They should be exactly uniform for everyone but admins. For some reason, there are two options admins can see that no other usergroups can see, that show up under all tabs except the Activities tab. I don't know how to fix that, but it's not terribly important.

I went ahead and deleted the Groups links and the two Sudharaka mentioned in the OP. Of the remaining links, I certainly don't think I want to get rid of any of them, as I have used them all from time to time, depending on what I'm trying to do.

So I could do a poll on the arrangement of the links, suggestions for additional links, etc. And we could see what the user base would like.

• Admin

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012