Recursion: find explicit formula

In summary: A(m,n) unless you already know the answers to all of the following: A(y, x) for all y < m A(y, x) for all y < m and x < n.Example: You can evaluate (say) A(5, 0), but first you need to know the values of A(4, x) for all x (none of which are known), A(3, x) for all x (none of which are known), A(2, x) for all x (none of which are known), A(1, x) for all x (none of which are known), A(0, x)
DorumonSg
A(0, x) = x + 1 For : x >=0
A(y, 0) = A(y-1, 1) For : y > 0
A(y, x) = A(y-1, A(y, x-1)) For : y > 0, x > 0

Find A(2,x) for x >= 0

I worked this out... but I am wondering if I am right.

Let x be 1 and y be 2.

From statement 3 :

A(y, x) = A(y-1, A(y, x-1)) = A(1, A(2, 0))

From statement 2 & 3 :

A(2,0) = A(1, 1)

Therefore :

A(2,x) = A(1, A(1,1))

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you're right as far as you've gone, but you can go further and reduce the answer to a single number.

How?

Find A(2,x) for x >= 0

I worked this out... but I am wondering if I am right.

Let x be 1 and y be 2.

From statement 3 :

From statement 2 & 3 :

A(2,0) = A(1, 1)

Therefore :

A(2,x) = A(1, A(1,1))

Lets see...

If I continue...

Let x be 0 for statement 1.

A(0, x) = x + 1
a(0, 0) = 1

So back to before...

I sub in 1 as A(0, x).

A(2,x) = A(1, A(A(0,0), A(0,0))

Erm... nope no idea... help?

Last edited:

If A(0,x) = x+1, then isn't A(0,1) = 2?

phyzguy said:
If A(0,x) = x+1, then isn't A(0,1) = 2?

Oops my bad... but still no idea how to continue.

Where do I put the 2 den?

DorumonSg said:
Therefore :

A(2,x) = A(1, A(1,1))

Am I right?
No, for two reasons. First, your goal is to come up with a general expression for A(2,x), not A(2,1). Second, you have not reduced the A(2,1) to a number.

You already have a general expression for A(0,x). It is rule #1 for this function.
Hint: Before jumping directly to the problem of A(2,x) find a general expression for A(1,x).

My bad. D H is right - you're original chain is incorrect.

To all who are helping with this thread: Keep in mind that this is a homework problem. If you know the name of this function, please do not mention it. Many resources on the net explicitly develop the answer to this problem, and these are easy to find if you know the name of the function.

Find A(2,x) for x >= 0

Let x be 1 and y be 2.

From statement 3 :

From statement 2 & 3 :

A(2,0) = A(1, 1)

Therefore :

A(2,x) = A(1, A(1,1))

Let x be 0 for statement 1.

A(0, x) = x + 1
a(0, 0) = 1

So back to before...

I sub in 1 as A(0, x).

A(2,x) = A(1, A(A(0,0), A(0,0))

k...

From statement 3 :

So A(1,x) = A(1-1, A(1, x-1)) = A(0, A(1, x - 1))

Let x be 1 and y be 1

A(1,1) = A(0, A(1,0))

From statement 2 :

A(1, 0) = A(0, 1)

Therefore A(y, 0) = A(0, y)

Thefore A(2, x) = A(x, 2)

Try again. A(4,2), for example is a huge, huge number. A(2,4) is a nice small number.

Have you tried the hint in post #6?

D H said:
Try again. A(4,2), for example is a huge, huge number. A(2,4) is a nice small number.

Have you tried the hint in post #6?

What do u mean?

First off, please stop using textspeak. It is not appreciated here at all.

What I mean is that A(2,x) is not equal to A(x,2). For example, consider A(2,4) versus A(4,2). A(2,4) is a small number. A(4,2) is a huge number; so huge that your calculator would probably print it as infinity.

It looks like you are really lost on this problem. So, step-by-step, here is how to evaluate A(1,1).
  1. The first step in evaluating any A(m,n) is to determine the reduction rule that needs to be applied. In the case of A(1,1), neither of the first two rules apply, so we must use rule #3, A(y, x) = A(y-1, A(y, x-1)). With this rule, A(1,1) = A(0,A(1,0)). So right off the bat we will need to evaluate the function at least two more times,
    • Once to evaluate A(1,0), and
    • Another time to evaluate A(0,A(1,0)), but plugging the solution for step 1a into that expression.
  2. The next step is to evaluate A(1,0). The second rule tells how to reduce this: A(1,0)=A(0,1).
  3. Now we need to evaluate A(0,1). The first rule tells how to evaluate this one: A(0,1)=1+1=2.
  4. Now we have the answer to step number 3: A(1,0)=A(0,1)=2, and this in turn is the answer to step 1a. Time to move on to step 1b. We need to evaluate A(0,A(1,0)), but now we know A(1,0)=2. Plugging that in, we need to evaluate A(0,2). That one is once again easy. The first rule applies; A(0,2)=2+1=3.
  5. This result is the final answer: A(1,1)=3.

Last edited:

DorumonSg said:
So A(1,x) = A(1-1, A(1, x-1)) = A(0, A(1, x - 1))

Let x be 1 and y be 1

A(1,1) = A(0, A(1,0))

From statement 2 :

A(1, 0) = A(0, 1)

Therefore A(y, 0) = A(0, y)

Thefore A(2, x) = A(x, 2)

It is very important that you understand that one generally cannot extrapolate a property about a single instance to the general case. For example, you noticed that A(1,0) = A(0,1) and concluded that this implies A(y,0) = A(0,y). However we only know (up to this point) that A(y,0) = A(0,y) is true ONLY FOR y=1, not for ANY y.

Work out a few examples with various values of x and y. Do it for more than just one pair of x,y. First try examples (at least two) where x<y. Then try it for examples where x=y, and finally for x>y. Once you have seen a few examples, you will have a much better picture.

DH has helped already you tremendously on how to look at the case when x=1 and y=1.

rs1n said:
It is very important that you understand that one generally cannot extrapolate a property about a single instance to the general case. For example, you noticed that A(1,0) = A(0,1) and concluded that this implies A(y,0) = A(0,y). However we only know (up to this point) that A(y,0) = A(0,y) is true ONLY FOR y=1, not for ANY y.
Exactly.

Work out a few examples with various values of x and y. Do it for more than just one pair of x,y. First try examples (at least two) where x<y. Then try it for examples where x=y, and finally for x>y. Once you have seen a few examples, you will have a much better picture.
That's good advice in general, but not with this nasty function. Stick to small (very small!) values of y.

Lets look at A(2,1). You will quickly see that you need to evaluate A(1,1). Later on, you will run into A(1,1) again. It would be kind of silly to grind through the calculations given in post #13 twice. A(1,1) is not going to change. If you keep track of prior results, calculating A(2,1) will require evaluating this function 11 times. If you don't keep track, you will have need to make four more evaluations.

Now let's look at A(3,1) and then at A(4,1). Even if you do keep track of prior results, calculating A(3,1) will require evaluating A(y,x) for 38 distinct y,x pairs. If you don't keep track of prior results, you will evaluate A(y,x) 106 times. Things start getting interesting with y=4. Calculating A(4,1) requires evaluating A(y,x) for 196625 distinct y,x pairs. If you don't keep track of prior results, calculating A(4,1) will require 2862984010 evaluations of A(y,x). Calculating A(4,1) is not something you can do by hand -- unless of course you develop a nice simple rule for A(3,x) or A(4,x), that is.

I worked it out,

A(2,1) = 5

So A(2,x) = n + 4

I tried it on 2 other numbers n = 0 and n = 3 and it works.

Am I right?

Is there any other way to prove that the solution is correct?

Last edited:

A(2,1) is 5, but you have the wrong general relationship. Try the hint in post #6. I'll repeat it: Work out a general relationship for A(1,x) first. You will need that to derive the general relationship for A(2,x).

A(1,x) = x + 2
A(2,x) = 2x + 3

Is the one?

Last edited:

Stop with the textspeak.

Don't get what you meant by textspeak?

You obviously got exactly what I meant because you edited your post to get rid of the textspeak. And yes, those are the correct relationships. Can you prove them, or did you just guess?

Too long to type out. But yeah, I proved them.

Since you obtained the correct answer, the function A(m,n) discussed in this thread is the Ackermann function. Things get much nastier after m=2. For example, A(3,n) exhibits exponential growth:

[tex]\aligned
A(3,0) &= 5 = 8-3 = 2^3-3\\
A(3,1) &= 13 = 16-3 = 2^4-3 \\
A(3,2) &= 29 = 32-3 = 2^5-3 \\
A(3,n)&=2^{n+3}-3\endaligned[/tex]A(4,n) is much, much worse. It exhibits hyperexponential growth.

[tex]\aligned
A(4,0) &= A(3,1) = 13 = 2^{2^2} - 3 \\
A(4,1) &= A(3,A(4,0)) = 2^{2^{2^2}} - 3 \\
A(4,2) &= A(3,A(4,1)) = 2^{2^{2^{2^2}}} - 3 \\
A(4,n) &=\underbrace{2^{2^{\cdots^2}}}_{n+3} - 3
\endaligned[/tex]

Related to Recursion: find explicit formula

What is recursion?

Recursion is a programming technique where a function calls itself repeatedly until a specific condition is met. It is commonly used in solving problems that can be broken down into smaller subproblems.

What is an explicit formula?

An explicit formula is a mathematical expression that directly gives the value of a sequence or series as a function of its index. It does not require the use of any previous terms in the sequence or series.

How do you find the explicit formula using recursion?

To find the explicit formula using recursion, you need to first identify the recursive relationship between the terms in the sequence or series. Then, you can use this relationship to create a recursive function that will generate the terms. Finally, you can use algebraic manipulation to derive the explicit formula from the recursive function.

What are the advantages of using recursion to find the explicit formula?

Recursion allows for a more elegant and concise solution to problems that involve repetitive calculations. It also allows for the use of mathematical induction to prove the correctness of the explicit formula.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using recursion to find the explicit formula?

One common mistake is not having a base case, which can lead to an infinite loop. Another mistake is not properly identifying the recursive relationship, which can result in an incorrect explicit formula. It is also important to consider the efficiency of the recursive function, as too many recursive calls can lead to slow performance.