Record of Travel Problem Guidance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a record of travel along a straight path, with different segments of motion and the need to calculate total displacement and average speeds for each segment and the entire trip. The approach involves treating each segment separately and using kinematic equations to find the distance traveled and speed for uniformly accelerated and constant velocity motion. The person seeking help is encouraged to use these equations and figure out how to apply them to the problem.
gasapple
Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could provide guidance on the following problem? I'd like to arrive at the correct answer(s) and know how I obtained it!

A record of travel along a straight path is as follows:
1. From rest, with a constant accel. of 2.77 m/s^2 for 15.0 s
2. Maintain a const. vel for next 2.05 min
3. Apply neg accel. of -9.47 m/s^2 for 4.39 s

What was total displacement?
What were the average speeds for legs 1, 2, 3 of trip as well as the complete trip?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated - mainly the approach and why it is so. I have a feeling it's the multiple steps that are discouraging...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat each segment separately. Keep track of the distance traveled in each segment, and the speeds at the beginning and end of each segment.

You'll need to be able to find the distance traveled and speed for uniformly accelerated and constant velocity motion. You may find these kinematic equations helpful (but it's up to you to figure out how to use them):
[tex]x_f = x_i + v_i t + 0.5 a t^2[/tex]
[tex]v_f = v_i + a t[/tex]

Thanks for the direction. I'll see what I can come up with!
Cheers

Related to Record of Travel Problem Guidance

What is "Record of Travel Problem Guidance"?

"Record of Travel Problem Guidance" is a set of guidelines and procedures for recording and addressing any problems encountered during travel, such as lost luggage, flight delays, or health issues.

Why is it important to keep a record of travel problems?

Keeping a record of travel problems is important for several reasons. It helps to document any issues that may arise during travel, which can be useful for insurance claims or reimbursement. It also serves as a reference for future trips and can help to identify patterns or recurring problems.

How do I record travel problems?

Travel problems can be recorded in various ways, such as a physical notebook, a digital document, or a specific travel app. It is important to include details such as the date, time, location, and description of the problem, as well as any relevant receipts or documentation.

What should I do if I encounter a travel problem?

If you encounter a travel problem, the first step is to remain calm and assess the situation. Depending on the severity of the problem, you may need to contact the appropriate authorities, such as the airline or hotel, to report the issue. It is also important to keep all relevant documentation and follow up on any necessary steps, such as filing a claim or seeking medical attention.

How can I prevent travel problems?

While some travel problems are unavoidable, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk. These include researching your destination and any potential risks, purchasing travel insurance, and double-checking all travel arrangements before departure. It is also helpful to have a contingency plan in case of any issues that may arise.