Velocity vector displacement problem

In summary: What angle does a vector pointing exactly northwest make with the x-axis?You don't need to use trigonometry to find that angle - you can just use the Pythagorean theorem.
Toon
1.)Hey everyone! I am having some trouble with a problem and hoped someone might be able to steer me in the right direction! The problem states ,
A motorist drives south at 20.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. Whats the total displacement?

2.) I am assuming we will have to use the equation vector v = sqrt( _i ^2 + _j^2) to find its magnitude.

3.)So I first did sqrt(20^2 + 25^2) to try and calculate the vector made by south and west directions. Then used that answer to calculate the vector made by northwest and west direction however that produced the wrong answer. I have a feeling I am approaching the problem using a wrong method and I am currently lost. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toon said:
I have a feeling I am approaching the problem using a wrong method

If you drive South at a velocity of 20 m/sec for 3.00 minutes, how far are you displaced from your starting point at the end of the 3.00 minutes?

Have you studied how to add vectors by adding their components?

Stephen Tashi said:
If you drive South at a velocity of 20 m/sec for 3.00 minutes, how far are you displaced from your starting point at the end of the 3.00 minutes?

Have you studied how to add vectors by adding their components?
3600 meters? Yeah I haved. So I am assuming I should do the sqrt(__south^2 + ___west^2 + _____northwest^2) to find my displacement?

Toon said:
3600 meters? Yeah I haved. So I am assuming I should do the sqrt(__south^2 + ___west^2 + _____northwest^2) to find my displacement?

Toon said:
So I am assuming I should do the sqrt(__south^2 + ___west^2 + _____northwest^2) to find my displacement?

That would be crazy.

You have to find the sum of the vectors before you can compute the magnitude of that sum. First, add the vectors to obtain a vector. It will be a vector that has 2 components.

Toon said:
You are finding the magnitude after vector addition here, yes. Have you learned that formula for a 4-sided triangle, or what?? oo)

Stephen Tashi said:
That would be crazy.

You have to find the sum of the vectors before you can compute the magnitude of that sum. First, add the vectors to obtain a vector. It will be a vector that has 2 components.
So I did sqrt(__sotuh^2 + ___west^2) to obtain the vector. However, I am not quit sure what to do with that vector

Perhaps break all vectors you are summing into their "horizontal" and "vertical" components, then add all the corresponding components.

Only after you have added all vectors this way do you apply Pythagoras, and if required also calculate the angle/direction.

Last edited:
Toon said:
So I did sqrt(__sotuh^2 + ___west^2) to obtain the vector.

The square root of a number isn't a two dimensional vector.

Do what NascentOxygen suggested.

NascentOxygen said:
Perhaps break all vectors you are summing into their "horizontal" and "vertical" components, then add all the corresponding components.

Only after you have added all vectors this way do you apply Pythagoras, and if required also calculate the angle/direction.
Ive been trying this method and kinda understand vectors more now, but one thing I am still confusing about is the vector that is going northwest. I'm not sure what its components are.

Toon said:
Ive been trying this method and kinda understand vectors more now, but one thing I am still confusing about is the vector that is going northwest. I'm not sure what its components are.

What angle does a vector pointing exactly northwest make with the x-axis? Use trigonometry to find it's north and west ( = negative east) components.

Related to Velocity vector displacement problem

1. What is a velocity vector displacement problem?

A velocity vector displacement problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the change in position of an object over time, using both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you solve a velocity vector displacement problem?

To solve a velocity vector displacement problem, you need to use the formula: displacement = velocity x time. First, determine the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector, then multiply it by the time elapsed to find the displacement.

3. What are some common units used in velocity vector displacement problems?

The most commonly used units in velocity vector displacement problems are meters (m) for distance, seconds (s) for time, and meters per second (m/s) for velocity. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used depending on the given information.

4. What is the difference between velocity and speed in a velocity vector displacement problem?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion. In a velocity vector displacement problem, both magnitude and direction are important in determining an object's change in position.

5. Can a velocity vector displacement problem have a negative displacement?

Yes, a velocity vector displacement problem can have a negative displacement. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the vector's direction. For example, a displacement of -10 meters indicates that the object has moved 10 meters in the opposite direction of the vector's direction.