Record-Breaking: Most Users Online (75) on 09-18-2003 at 04:51 PM

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Most users ever online was 382 on 11-17-2003 at 09:16 PM.In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in traffic on the Physics Forums website, with record numbers of users online and an influx of new members. Some speculate that this may be due to a newsletter or the indexing of the site by Google. There is also a discussion about the change in the community dynamic with the increase in traffic.
micromass said:

edit: 8661
Active Users: 8661 (149 members and 8512 guests)

Physics news on Phys.org

Evo said:
My browser started hanging up and the pages wouldn't load.

That is almost 400 more than yesterday's record of 8305.

206PiruBlood said:
That is almost 400 more than yesterday's record of 8305.

That makes the question of when we hit 10,000 very interesting! I suspect most of this surge is because of the new fall quarter, and it won't be sustained too long. Maybe it will ebb a bit after the first midterms...?

lisab said:
That makes the question of when we hit 10,000 very interesting! I suspect most of this surge is because of the new fall quarter, and it won't be sustained too long. Maybe it will ebb a bit after the first midterms...?

That's kind of what I was thinking. The University of Washington and many of the community colleges in the area don't start until Wednesday so we'll perhaps see new records all week!

206PiruBlood said:
That's kind of what I was thinking. The University of Washington and many of the community colleges in the area don't start until Wednesday so we'll perhaps see new records all week!
I found numerous guests from universities across the US, and many across Canada. We also get a morning surge from Asia, particularly Pakistan and India.

Last week we were getting a peak around 6:30-7:00 pm PDT/9:30-10:00 EDT, but now we get a second peak between 7:00-7:45 PDT/10:00-10:45 EDT. The peak period may be broadening.

This is fun to watch and while our quality is spreading in a natural "academic" way, may I suggest the following:

An e-mail with a brief history and current ranking of the benefits of our wonderful site addressed to the President and Academic Dean of the following institutions:

All US Ivy League Institutions:

The top 10 colleges by rank in China, India, Pakistan, Austrialia, New Zealand, Great Britain, etc... you get the idea.

As a test case, just start with US Ivy League colleges.

Good idea ? Am I crazy ? Too idealistic ? No benefit to be gained by addressing the President, Academic Dean ?

Rhody... o:)

Interestingly, we seem to be approaching 8K early in the evening, and it would be interseting to see if we break the current record, or even exceed 9K, this evening.

rhody said:
Good idea ? Am I crazy ? Too idealistic ? No benefit to be gained by addressing the President, Academic Dean ?

Rhody... o:)

Unfortunately that is called spamming :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Unfortunately that is called spamming :)

Wait, your website has been recognized year after year, and its value is not in dispute. There is genuine benefit to be had here, calling it spamming to me is a stretch. If we had some as yet to be invented great feature and wanted to get the word out, why is this spamming ?

Rhody... :smile:

rhody said:
Wait, your website has been recognized year after year, and its value is not in dispute. There is genuine benefit to be had here, calling it spamming to me is a stretch. If we had some as yet to be invented great feature and wanted to get the word out, why is this spamming ?

I would be afraid that some would be put-off even with the good intentions. I don't think Greg want's to take a chance on that. But I'm with you on wanting to help make this the best science forum on the web. Being a part of helping people is very rewarding.

rhody said:
Wait, your website has been recognized year after year, and its value is not in dispute. There is genuine benefit to be had here,

calling it spamming to me is a stretch. If we had some as yet to be invented great feature and wanted to get the word out, why is this spamming ?

Everyone, everywhere who has anything, can claim it's of great value, and that everyone else should be aware of it.

The act of spamming is the act of contacting people in bulk, undifferentiated about whether the recipient has solicited input for that particular kind of value.

DaveC426913 said:
Everyone, everywhere who has anything, can claim it's of great value, and that everyone else should be aware of it.

The act of spamming is the act of contacting people in bulk, undifferentiated about whether the recipient has solicited input for that particular kind of value.
Dave,

Yeah, my idea was the President and Academic Dean of these colleges, a very targeted audience, so spamming it is not, correct ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Dave,

Yeah, my idea was the President and Academic Dean of these colleges, a very targeted audience, so spamming it is not, correct ?

Rhody...

Rhody, these people receive probably 100's of mails every day. A mail from PF would be deleted almost immediately.
Furthermore, the president and the dean are not the people we should target. We should target the students and the professors. But again, spamming is not a solution. The PF proliferation project is ideal in attracting students.

I have mentioned PF to my students as a good way to gain information. It is such a personal communications that can be succesful. Spamming can rarely be succesful, in my opinion.

wouldn't it be easier to put these record on a "most active user vs. date" line graph? :)

Wow!

My second cousin called today, and she asked if I was still involved with "that physics site". I had enlisted her daughter's husband to post a PF flier at his technical college. It's nice to see that she remembered at least, because some people don't catch a clue.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Record: 8,740 @ T
I think a Congratulations is in order. Outstanding Greg.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Record: 9,033 @ Y

Can we hit 10,000!?
That might go some way to explaining the 20+ subscribed threads I woke up to this morning.

Wooo!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Record: 9,033 @ Y
It's over nine thousand!

Couldn't resist. :biggrin:

All righty!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Crazy!

Amazing!

lisab said:
Amazing!

Magnifique!

Congrats PF! :smile:

Gad said:
Magnifique!

Some Pig!
Wait...wrong type of web...

Outstanding!
There we go...

Drakkith said:
Some Pig!
Wait...wrong type of web...

Outstanding!
There we go...
:rofl:

I can remember when 200 online was a lot!