Recommended Books for one hoping to study Physics on his own time?

In summary, a recent mechanical engineering graduate is having doubts about their career path and is interested in reading up on physics. They have already looked into Physics for Scientists by Fishbane/Gasiorowicz/Thornton, but are now seeking recommendations for other books. They are interested in practical and conceptual physics, as well as more in-depth topics like light, E&M, thermo, and QM. Some recommended books include Simon's Mechanics, Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics and Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, and Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. They are also open to "brief introductory" books and are interested in understanding the universe. Other recommended books include Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics, Taylor & Wheeler's
George Kelson
I'll be honest here. I recently graduated with an undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering (top marks, too), but I'm having some doubts about it as a career path and part of me misses the fun of pure Physics. Anyway, I'll be pursuing engineering for now, but on the side I'd like to read up on some Physics. I pulled out my old book, which I thought was okay, but found that Physics for Scientists by Fishbane/Gasiorowicz/Thornton has low ratings. I'd like some recommendations for good books to read. You can help me with what topics I should read about, too. I want a good grasp of practical and conceptual Physics, as well as a window (or more) into the more nitty-gritty. I think I'd first want to review general Physics (w/ calculus, of course). Then the next topics I guess are light, E&M, Thermo, and QM. I've seen a few books recommended and I'll list them here. Please add to my list.

Mechanics - Simon
Introduction to Electrodynamics - Griffiths
Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory - Reitz/Milford/Christy
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths
Introductory Quantum Mechanics - Liboff
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Boas

I'm also open to any "brief introductory" books, as well as they aren't too dumbed down. I really want to understand this universe! I'm sorry if this request is too general, but I want a solid foundation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Symon's Mechanics book, but perhaps you can already handle Landau & Lifschitz.

For E&M, I'd recommend Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics as a more enjoyable read than most textbooks.

Other recommendations:

Taylor & Wheeler, Spacetime Physics. Red paperback first edition.
Feynman, Lectures On Physics
Fermi, Thermodynamics

Related to Recommended Books for one hoping to study Physics on his own time?

1. What are some good books to start with for self-studying physics?

Some popular books for self-studying physics include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any online resources for self-studying physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying physics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer videos, lectures, practice problems, and other helpful materials for learning physics on your own time.

3. How can I track my progress while self-studying physics?

One way to track your progress is to set specific goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of chapters or practice problems per week. You can also use online quizzes or exams to assess your understanding of the material.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to self-study physics?

A strong understanding of math is essential for studying physics, as many concepts in physics require mathematical calculations. However, you can still learn and improve your math skills while studying physics on your own. It is recommended to have at least a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus before starting to study physics.

5. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying physics?

The amount of time you dedicate to self-studying physics will depend on your individual learning pace and goals. It is recommended to set aside a few hours per week for studying and practicing, and to consistently review and reinforce your knowledge to ensure understanding of the material.