Recommendation for able high school physics students

In summary, there are several resources available for high school students interested in physics, math, and computer science. These include online courses from MIT, Coursera, and edX, as well as books and experiment books. There is also the option to join online study groups. Additional courses recommended are offered by Rice and UPenn, and are highly praised for their quality and creativity.
eifphysics
If you are a high school student, a physics buff, and enjoying independent study and exploring, here are some recommendation for you:
1. MIT classical mechanics and electromagnetism
available in MIT OCW and edx. I recommend edx because it is better organized and contains review and exam section as well as discussion forum.
2.cousera: Understanding Einstein: the special theory of relativity
exploring quantum mechanics
introduction to astronomy
3.books: A.Zee's Einstein gravity in a nutshell and Quantum field theory in a netshull
university physics with modern physics by Young and Freedman
4.experiment book
125 physics projects for the evil genius

About math
1.cousera: preparing for AP Calculus AB and BC exam
Preparing for AP statistics exam
also available in edx
2.Pails Online Math Notes

about computer science
1.Harvard's cs50: introduction to computer science
available in edx

Hope these are helpful for you. I am currently working on these areas, and want to work together with students who are also interested as an online study group. Are there anyone interested in this idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
For online courses, I have three more to add: PHYS102x Electricity & Magnetism and PHYS201x Wave & Optics, both offered by Rice on edX. And UPenn's Single Variable Calculus on Coursera.

I took 102x in Spring this year when self-studying the AP Physics C exam; It helped me got my 5. But I have learn much more than just the exam itself (the course is beyond the scope of AP anyway), especially loved its introduction to Maxwell's Equations and EM waves. Its quantity is far beyond my exception, everything is presented so inspiringly and creatively, loved the course and the professor a lot.

201x is the next course in series of 102x, which is taught by the same professor. And it is still ongoing right now, already in its second half though. High quantity and very creative as before, so bad that I am busy on college admission right now and have little time for it.

I took the Single Variable Calculus course this summer, as many said, it is truly a classic of MOOC. Everything is presented with high quantity graphics, in order words, every piece of math concept there is in drawing. The course is interesting enough that even for a person like me who has little interest in math other than using it as a tool in physics is completely fascinated in the professor's colorful calculus world.

Hopefully I can get through this excruciating admission process by next month, so that I can continue my adventure... And I am definitely going to try the famous 8.01 and 8.02, had thought of them last year but never have the time.

Last edited:

Related to Recommendation for able high school physics students

1. What are the key factors that make a high school student "able" in physics?

In order to be considered "able" in physics, a high school student should have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and a curiosity for the subject. They should also have a solid understanding of fundamental physics principles and be able to apply them to real-world situations.

2. How can high school physics students challenge themselves and continue to improve?

High school physics students can challenge themselves by taking advanced courses, participating in science competitions or research projects, and seeking out additional resources such as books, online tutorials, and workshops. They can also engage in hands-on experiments and problem-solving activities to improve their skills.

3. What are some recommended resources for able high school physics students?

Some recommended resources for able high school physics students include textbooks, online resources such as Khan Academy or Physics Classroom, and science magazines such as Scientific American or Physics Today. Additionally, joining a physics club or attending workshops or conferences can also provide valuable learning opportunities.

4. How can high school physics students prepare for college-level physics courses?

To prepare for college-level physics courses, high school students should focus on developing a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in calculus and advanced algebra. They can also seek out advanced physics courses or dual-enrollment programs to gain exposure to college-level material and learn how to approach complex physics problems.

5. What are some career options for high school students who excel in physics?

High school students who excel in physics have a variety of career options available to them. These may include pursuing a degree in physics, engineering, or a related field, working in research and development, or pursuing a career in healthcare, finance, or technology. They can also use their skills to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact in society.