Recoil speed of an atomic nucleus

In summary, the problem asks for the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus in an inelastic collision as it decays from an excited state to its ground state with the emission of a gamma ray with energy 24.0 keV. Using conservation of momentum and the special formula for the momentum of a photon, the answer is calculated to be 134 m/s.
Qnslaught

Homework Statement

An atomic nucleus is in an excited state. It decays to its ground state with the emission of a gamma ray having energy, Egamma = 24.0 keV. The nucleus has a mass of 9.53e-26 kg. What is the recoil speed of the nucleus? (Note: This may be an inelastic collision)

Homework Equations

1 eV = 1.6e-19 J

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting the final kinetic equal to the rest energy, and I tried setting it equal to the energy of the gamma ray, and I can't get the answer. The answer key lists the correct answer as 134 m/s, and I have no idea how to get to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not use conservation of momentum?
Use the special formula for the momentum of a photon, using its energy to calculate its momentum.

Thank you, I got it now :)

Related to Recoil speed of an atomic nucleus

1. What is the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus?

The recoil speed of an atomic nucleus is the velocity at which the nucleus moves in response to an external force applied to it. It is a measure of the nucleus's momentum and is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus calculated?

The recoil speed of an atomic nucleus can be calculated using the Newtonian equation for momentum, p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the nucleus, and v is the velocity. The initial and final momentum of the nucleus can be determined from the external force applied and the resulting change in velocity.

3. What factors affect the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus?

The recoil speed of an atomic nucleus is affected by the mass of the nucleus, the magnitude of the external force applied, and the angle at which the force is applied. It is also affected by any internal forces within the nucleus, such as nuclear binding forces.

4. How does the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus impact nuclear reactions?

The recoil speed of an atomic nucleus can impact nuclear reactions in several ways. It can affect the rate of nuclear reactions, the energy released in the reaction, and the types of particles produced. It is an important factor to consider in designing and controlling nuclear reactions.

5. Can the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus be measured?

Yes, the recoil speed of an atomic nucleus can be measured using various techniques, such as scattering experiments or detection of particles emitted from the nucleus. These measurements are important for understanding the properties of nuclei and for applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine.