Rechargeable Batteries for Control System w/ 150mA Current | Advice?

• Thread starter EEintern
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary: When the battery is being used, it is supplying power to the load. When the battery is being recharged, the current is being drawn from the charger.
EEintern
are there batteries that recharge while they are in use? basically, the context is that i need a battery to be powering a control system all the time, but this battery will obviously drain. i wanted a solar recharger so there is no maintenance, but now I'm not even sure if this type of system exists.

the control system only draws 150mA of current and can have 9 - 12 VDC input.

any advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the solar panel can supply 300 mA for example, then divert 150 mA to the control circuit, and the other 150 mA to recharge the battery

You can not drain and charge a battery at the same time. Thats like using a electrical machine as a motor and a generator at the same time. Like waht suggestion you can manage the power between both of the components but you can't have your load in the same circuit as your charging circuit.

There is no problem in charging and using rechargeable batteries at the same time. As long as the solar charger does not damage the batteries when they are not in use, the batteries can be recharging while the batteries are being used. If the solar cells cannot supply enough current to supply the cuurent drain when the batteries are in use, the actual current drain will be reduced by the current from the solar cells.
I can drive my car with the headlights on and the air conditioner running, while the alternator is recharging my battery.

The typical solution (for DC applications, at least), is to define four voltages:

(1) the minimum voltage your load needs to operate
(2) the battery voltage when at a full state-of-charge
(3) the battery voltage when nearly empty
(4) the voltage supplied by the charger circuit

Make sure that (2) and (3) are greater than or equal to (1). Also, make sure that (4) is greater than (2); in other words, make sure that charger is capable of trickle charging the battery when it's full.

For example: Car electronics need 12V to operate. Car batteries provide 13.4V or so when full. The alternator, which charges the battery, generally produces about 14V.

- Warren

Topher925 said:
You can not drain and charge a battery at the same time. Thats like using a electrical machine as a motor and a generator at the same time. Like waht suggestion you can manage the power between both of the components but you can't have your load in the same circuit as your charging circuit.
I don't think this is true. If the charger and battery are in parallel, the battery will supply energy to the circuit if its voltage is higher than the charger and pull energy from the circuit if its voltage is lower. That's what happens when you jump start a car.

russ_watters said:
I don't think this is true. If the charger and battery are in parallel, the battery will supply energy to the circuit if its voltage is higher than the charger and pull energy from the circuit if its voltage is lower. That's what happens when you jump start a car.

Yes, but you are not charging and discharging the battery at the same time in that situation. The battery is in one state or another, charging or discharging. Current either flows into the battery, or out of the battery, not both.

Topher925 said:
.. Current either flows into the battery, or out of the battery, not both.
Exactly, not both at the same time. Current flow is the key here.

Related to Rechargeable Batteries for Control System w/ 150mA Current | Advice?

What are rechargeable batteries and how do they work?

Rechargeable batteries are batteries that can be recharged and used multiple times, unlike disposable batteries that can only be used once. They work by storing and releasing energy through a reversible chemical reaction.

Why are rechargeable batteries recommended for control systems with 150mA current?

Rechargeable batteries are recommended for control systems with 150mA current because they have a higher capacity and can provide a more stable and consistent power supply compared to disposable batteries. They also have a longer lifespan, making them more cost-effective in the long run.

What are the different types of rechargeable batteries available for control systems?

The most common types of rechargeable batteries for control systems are nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), lithium-ion (Li-ion), and lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your specific needs.

How long do rechargeable batteries typically last in a control system with 150mA current?

The lifespan of rechargeable batteries varies depending on the type, usage, and charging methods. Generally, they can last for 500-1000 cycles before their capacity starts to decrease. However, with proper care and maintenance, they can last for several years.

What should I consider when choosing a rechargeable battery for my control system with 150mA current?

When choosing a rechargeable battery, you should consider the voltage and capacity, as well as the type and size of the battery. It is also important to check the manufacturer's recommendations and specifications to ensure compatibility with your control system. Additionally, consider the charging method and any special features that may be beneficial for your specific application.