Reception of distant FM radio broadcasts

• Thread starter Kylah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fm Radio
In summary, the Earth's magnetic field produces a downward component of 8.30 x10-5 T at the location of an aluminum airplane flying west at 350 m/s parallel to the ground. Using the formula V=LvB, the potential difference applied across the plane's wingspan of 22 m is calculated to be 0.64 V. To determine which wing would be negatively charged, the use of the left or right hand rule can be applied. However, the direction of force on a charge moving in a magnetic field can also be found using the right or left hand rule. As for why AM signals improve after nightfall but FM signals do not, it is due to the reflection of AM signals by the ion
Kylah
1. An aluminum airplane is flying west, parallel to the ground, at 350 m/s. The Earth's magnetic field produces a downward component of 8.30 x10-5 T at that point. For the purposes of this question, treat the wing as if it was a conducting rod.
a) What is the magnitude of the potential difference applied across the plane's wingspan of 22 m?

I used V=LvB, and got an answer of 0.64 V.

b) Which wing would be negatively charged, the one on the south side of the plane of the one on the north side of the plane?
This is where I'm lost. How would I find out the answer to this?

2. Why doesn't the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts improve just after night fall the way AM broadcasts do?
I'm assuming AM signals improve because they are reflected by the ionosphere, which would be higher in the dark? That could be WAY off.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) for me ok too
b) how do you find the direction of force to the charge which move in magnetic field?

...Oh, do I use the left hand rule? Haha.

heh...for (b), you could use the right hand rule (or left hand version as well).
For (c)...interesting question...not sure.

the (c) part is a good question and am curious this too, even didn't noticed this :) BTW, you may research the effects of ultraviolet beams of sun on ionospher. I found something from google. You are close.

Related to Reception of distant FM radio broadcasts

1. How do radio waves travel long distances?

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves that can travel through the Earth's atmosphere and space. They do not need a medium to travel, unlike sound waves. The Earth's atmosphere acts as a natural boundary that reflects and refracts radio waves, allowing them to travel long distances.

2. What factors affect the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts?

The reception of distant FM radio broadcasts can be affected by various factors, such as the strength and frequency of the radio waves, the height and location of the transmitting antenna, and the presence of obstacles or interference in the path of the radio waves.

3. Can weather conditions affect the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts?

Yes, weather conditions can have an impact on the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts. For example, heavy rain or snow can absorb or scatter radio waves, causing disruptions in the broadcast. Atmospheric conditions, such as temperature inversions, can also affect the propagation of radio waves.

4. How can I improve the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts?

To improve the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts, you can try adjusting the orientation of your radio antenna, using a higher quality antenna, or moving your radio to a location with less interference. You can also try listening during different times of the day when radio wave propagation may be better.

5. Why do some distant FM radio broadcasts sound distorted or unclear?

Distant FM radio broadcasts can sound distorted or unclear due to various factors, such as weak signals, interference from other radio stations, or signal reflections. These factors can cause the audio to sound distorted, staticky, or garbled. Adjusting your antenna or changing your location can help improve the clarity of the broadcast.