Finding resistance in an LC Circuit (FM Radio)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a simple FM antenna circuit with a variable capacitor that can be tuned to receive a specific station. The figure provided shows that the circuit has an inductance of 8.22 µH and the radio signal from a particular FM station has an amplitude of 12.2 µV and a frequency of 88.3 MHz. Part (a) of the conversation asks for the value of the capacitor that should be tuned in order to receive this station, which is calculated to be 3.95E-13. In part (b), another radio station with the same amplitude but a frequency of 88.1 MHz is introduced. The question asks for the value of resistance, R0, that would
Renaldo

Homework Statement

The figure shows a simple FM antenna circuit in which L = 8.22 µH and C is variable (the capacitor can be tuned to receive a specific station). The radio signal from your favorite FM station produces a sinusoidal time-varying emf with an amplitude of 12.2 µV and a frequency of 88.3 MHz in the antenna.

(a) To what value, C0 ,should you tune the capacitor in order to best receive this station?

(b) Another radio station's signal produces a sinusoidal time-varying emf with the same amplitude, 12.2 µV, but with a frequency of 88.1 MHz in the antenna. With the circuit tuned to optimize reception at 88.3 MHz, what should the value, R0, of the resistance be in order to reduce by a factor of 2 (compared to the current if the circuit were optimized for 88.1 MHz) the current produced by the signal from this station? (When entering units, use ohm for Ω.)

Homework Equations

Im = Vm[itex]/[/itex][(R)2+(ωL-1/ωC)2](1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) was no problem for me. The answer is 3.95E-13.

Part (b) has me stumped. I don't know what "circuit tuned to optimize reception at 88.3 MHz" means. I assumed that, in an optimized circuit, (ωL-1/ωC) would = 0.

It has to be twice the current in the non-optimized circuit.

IO = 2Im

IO = Vm/R (Because I assumed that ωL-1/ωC = 0, the equation simplifies to Ohm's Law).

If I set this equal to 2Vm[itex]/[/itex][(R)2+(ωL-1/ωC)2](1/2) (or, 2Im) things cancel and I lose my Resistance variable. This leads me to believe that my initial assumption as to the meaning of optimized circuit is wrong. I don't know where to proceed from here.

Attachments

• LC Circuit.png
    LC Circuit.png
    3 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
Renaldo said:

Homework Statement

Part (b) has me stumped. I don't know what "circuit tuned to optimize reception at 88.3 MHz" means. I assumed that, in an optimized circuit, (ωL-1/ωC) would = 0.

It has to be twice the current in the non-optimized circuit.

IO = 2Im

IO = Vm/R (Because I assumed that ωL-1/ωC = 0, the equation simplifies to Ohm's Law).

If I set this equal to 2Vm[itex]/[/itex][(R)2+(ωL-1/ωC)2](1/2) (or, 2Im) things cancel and I lose my Resistance variable. This leads me to believe that my initial assumption as to the meaning of optimized circuit is wrong. I don't know where to proceed from here.

That equation applies to 88.3 MHz but not to 88.1 MHz.

"Optimized at 88.3" means wL = 1/wC at 88.3. It's not optimized at 88.1.

Recalculate the impedance of the RLC circuit at 88.1 MHz, then adjust R until you get 1/2 the current you got at 88.3.

"Recalculate the impedance of the RLC circuit at 88.1 MHz, then adjust R until you get 1/2 the current you got at 88.3."

I guess I could do that pretty easily if I could determine the current in the optimized circuit. I can determine an equation for it, but it comes with two variables, I and R.

The equation is I = V/R, Ohm's Law.

This is the current in the optimized circuit. I rename it IO

IO = 2I1, because 1/2 of IO = I1.

I1 is the current in the non optimized circuit. It equals the equation I used earlier. It's a pain to type up.

The V's on both sides cancel.

I re-arrange the equations and solve for R.

My final equation is:

[ωL - (1/ωC)]/[3^(1/2)]= R

This produces a wrong answer.

ω = 83100000(2∏)
C = 3.97E-13

Renaldo said:
"Recalculate the impedance of the RLC circuit at 88.1 MHz, then adjust R until you get 1/2 the current you got at 88.3."

I guess I could do that pretty easily if I could determine the current in the optimized circuit. I can determine an equation for it, but it comes with two variables, I and R.

The equation is I = V/R, Ohm's Law.

This is the current in the optimized circuit. I rename it IO

IO = 2I1, because 1/2 of IO = I1.

I1 is the current in the non optimized circuit. It equals the equation I used earlier. It's a pain to type up.

The V's on both sides cancel.

I re-arrange the equations and solve for R.

My final equation is:

[ωL - (1/ωC)]/[3^(1/2)]= R

This produces a wrong answer.

ω = 83100000(2∏)
C = 3.97E-13

EDIT: I just realized they didn't give you a value for R at 88.3 MHz (part a). That means the answer to part b will be a function of R and can't be a number.

Looks like you tried to come up with a new value of C. That is not the idea. In part b, L and C are the same as in part a but R has to change to make the current half of what it was in part a.

More tomorrow, got to hit the sack.

Last edited:
Renaldo said:
bump

OK, you found i = V/R when f = 88.3 MHz. You did that by setting wL = 1/wC.

Now write the equation for impedance at 88.1 MHZ LEAVING L AND C ALONE, but introducing a different R = R'. Then what is the impedance Z(jw) for the new network with the new R' at w = 2 pi 88.1 MHz? That will get you the ratio Z(88.1)/Z(88.3). Z(88.3) = R as we already know. What is Z(88.1)?

Finally, what must Z(88.1)/Z(88.3) be in order for the current at 88.1 to be half that at 88.3? And from that, what is R'? There will be R in the answer.

1. How do I calculate the resistance in an LC circuit for an FM radio?

To calculate the resistance in an LC circuit for an FM radio, you will need to use the equation R = ωL/Q, where R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and Q is the quality factor. You can measure the inductance and quality factor using a multimeter or other measuring device.

2. What is the importance of resistance in an LC circuit for an FM radio?

The resistance in an LC circuit is important because it affects the quality of the FM radio signal. A higher resistance can lead to a weaker or distorted signal, while a lower resistance can improve the signal quality.

3. How can I adjust the resistance in an LC circuit for an FM radio?

The resistance in an LC circuit can be adjusted by changing the value of the inductance or the quality factor. This can be done by using different components or by adjusting the physical properties of the circuit.

4. What is the typical resistance range for an LC circuit in an FM radio?

The resistance range for an LC circuit in an FM radio can vary, but it is typically in the range of a few ohms to a few hundred ohms. This range may also depend on the specific components used in the circuit.

5. How does the resistance in an LC circuit affect the tuning of an FM radio?

The resistance in an LC circuit can affect the tuning of an FM radio by changing the resonant frequency of the circuit. A higher resistance can shift the resonant frequency to a higher value, while a lower resistance can shift it to a lower value. This can impact the ability of the FM radio to tune in to specific frequencies.