Recent Winter Storm: Pictures of Lake Tahoe Area

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm
In summary, the conversation discusses the recent storm that hit the western area of Lake Tahoe and its effects on the surrounding roads and homes. The participants also reminisce about past winter storms and express concern about potential roof collapses due to the heavy snow.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Here are a few pictures showing what the most recent storm did to the western area of Lake Tahoe:

Below is a picture of the county-maintained road leading to my father's house.
homewood-4.jpg

The next two are of the private road on which he lives.
homewood-3.jpg

homewood-2.jpg

This is a picture of the front of his house.
homewood-1.jpg
I grew-up one street down from his road. Haven't had a winter like this since the mid-to-late 80's.

Physics news on Phys.org
I grew up in that area (Quincy). I remember *huge* storms dumping 1 to 2 feet of snow, but nothing like that - that's an astounding amount of snow! I hope there haven't been any roof collapses.

lisab said:
[...] I hope there haven't been any roof collapses.

That's precisely his concern with the garage in the back. The load has already buckled part of the structure on the right side, and his efforts to remove the snow from the roof have either been too difficult or too dangerous.

Good grief! That's worse than what I used to get from the lake effect snow in upstate NY. I don't think our snowbanks were ever higher than 6-7 feet. That's scary.

I guess it is better to visit this area in Summer...

Related to Recent Winter Storm: Pictures of Lake Tahoe Area

1. What caused the recent winter storm in the Lake Tahoe area?

The recent winter storm in the Lake Tahoe area was caused by a combination of low pressure systems and cold air from the north. These conditions led to heavy snowfall and strong winds in the region.

2. How much snowfall did the Lake Tahoe area receive during the recent winter storm?

The amount of snowfall in the Lake Tahoe area during the recent winter storm varied, with some areas receiving up to 3 feet of snow. The average snowfall for the region was around 1-2 feet.

3. Were there any major impacts or damages from the recent winter storm in the Lake Tahoe area?

While there were some road closures and power outages due to the storm, overall there were no major impacts or damages reported in the Lake Tahoe area. The region is well-prepared for winter weather and was able to handle the storm effectively.

4. How often does the Lake Tahoe area experience winter storms like this?

The Lake Tahoe area typically experiences several winter storms each year, with varying levels of intensity. However, the recent storm was considered to be on the more severe side, with heavy snowfall and strong winds causing some disruptions in the region.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken during a winter storm in the Lake Tahoe area?

It is always important to follow any warnings or advisories issued by local authorities during a winter storm in the Lake Tahoe area. This may include staying off the roads, stocking up on necessary supplies, and avoiding any outdoor activities until the storm passes. It is also important to dress appropriately and stay warm to avoid any potential cold-related health issues.