Reasoning for photon having no mass

In summary, according to the author, there are experiments that have shown that if a photon has mass then it is incredibly small, and smaller than we have been able to measure.
JulianM
Other than relativity is there any theory, proof, experiment, etc. that tells us a photon has no mass?
i.e. Is the concept of zero mass solely derived from relativity

Science news on Phys.org
JulianM said:
Other than relativity is there any theory, proof, experiment, etc. that tells us a photon has no mass?
What it will change about the reality ?

JulianM said:
Certainly. There are many experiments which have measured 0 photon mass to within the experimental precision. See section 3.4 below

http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

Likes davenn
JulianM said:
Is the concept of zero mass solely derived from relativity

How should it be derived instead?

DD Ryutov, Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 49 (2007) B429–B438, "Using plasma physics to weigh the photon"

Likes davenn
Arman777 said:
What it will change about the reality ?

You are answering a question with a question?

DrStupid said:
How should it be derived instead?

I have no idea, which is why I asked

Vanadium 50 said:
DD Ryutov, Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 49 (2007) B429–B438, "Using plasma physics to weigh the photon"

I can't find any info in this ref, can you please point to some more specific part of the ref?

@JulianM ,

you marked this as a B level thread but most answers are too difficult to understand at B level. I recommend that you just accept what @Dale said that there are lots of experiments. To understand those experiments, you'll need more study first.

JulianM said:
I don't see a section 3.4
Then look more carefully. It is there and it contains the experiments you asked for.

JulianM said:
I can't find any info in this ref,

It's the whole paper!

JulianM said:
There are some good responses, but I feel like there is another angle here, due to several questionable premises in the OP that can be addressed themsevles:

1. Relativity doesn't tell us the photon has no mass, it tells us things traveling at "the speed of light" must not have mass. This, when applied to other theories, tells us the photon should have no mass. The theory [family] describing the photon is Quantum Mechanics, not Relativity. More generally:

2. Realtivity isn't about specifically about light at all. It is essentially an historical coincidence that "C" is called "the speed of light" in Relativity, due to the fact that light was used as a tool for investigating it. Perhaps if things had gone differently at the time, "C" would be called "the speed of gravity". Or better yet, "the maximum speed of interactions/information transfer".

Vanadium 50 said:
It's the whole paper!

OK, let me clarify - there is nothing more than an abstract that I can find online and in order to get the whole paper it needs to be purchased. This was a high school level question so my guess is that the responses would be something better than "buy a paper on Using Plasma physics, etc."

When I read the abstract it essentially says that if the photon has mass it is very small and then recommends more work.

Some of the other responses have re-posted links they have used before without real explanation, and those (that are actually available, rather than needing a subscription or purchase, essentially seem to say the same thing.

So my interpretation of what I am being given is something like this

1. Zero mass is implied by Relativity
2. There are no other theories that would imply this (as determined from this thread)
3. Some experiments (which are too difficult for the ordinary person to understand, so just accept them) have shown that if the photon has mass then it is incredibly small, and smaller than we have been able to measure.

Did I get this right?

JulianM said:
This was a high school level question so my guess is that the responses would be something better than "buy a paper on Using Plasma physics, etc."
Clicking a link and finding section 3.4 is entirely within the capability of a high-school level student! I cannot tell you how frustrating your response was. If a high school student cannot find it by looking at the hyperlinked table of contents, or by scrolling through the document itself, then for sure they should be able to find it by doing a text search for "3.4". I am sorry, but this is simply laziness.

JulianM said:
3. Some experiments (which are too difficult for the ordinary person to understand, so just accept them) have shown that if the photon has mass then it is incredibly small, and smaller than we have been able to measure.
This is correct, where "ordinary person" is an "ordinary high school student". It is silly to expect that a high school student should be able to understand the experiments, however they can understand the fact that the experiments measured the mass and found it to be zero to within the experimental precision, and they can understand that the experimental precision has improved over time, and they can see what the current best precision is. At the high school level that is sufficient and is similar to the status of high-school level presentations of most modern scientific fields.

Likes russ_watters and Arman777
I see. So you didn't mean "I couldn't find it", you meant "I didn't look". This is very frustrating.

You asked if a measurement had been made. I pointed one out to you - what I believe is the best measurement out there at the moment. Then you said you couldn't find it - and we find out now that the reason you couldn't find it is that you didn't look. I'm not sure what else I can do here.

Dale's also right - there are several measurements on that page, and finding them requires nothing more than clicking and/or scrolling.

Equally frustrating is that your post #13 asks if zero photon mass is implied by relativity. This was already answered in Dale's post #12.

Likes Dale
Vanadium 50 said:
I see. So you didn't mean "I couldn't find it", you meant "I didn't look". This is very frustrating.

You asked if a measurement had been made. I pointed one out to you - what I believe is the best measurement out there at the moment. Then you said you couldn't find it - and we find out now that the reason you couldn't find it is that you didn't look. I'm not sure what else I can do here.

Dale's also right - there are several measurements on that page, and finding them requires nothing more than clicking and/or scrolling.

Equally frustrating is that your post #13 asks if zero photon mass is implied by relativity. This was already answered in Dale's post #12.
OK, I give up - if you think it is frustrating to read my questions and what I conclude from your your postings then try reading it from my perspective.

I am gone, this forum is about as helpful as a poke in the eye.

JulianM said:
OK, I give up
I believe this is the source of the problem. What precisely did you do to find section 3.4 before you gave up?

Vanadium 50 said:
and we find out now that the reason you couldn't find it is that you didn't look
I googled 'DD Ryutov, Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 49 (2007) B429–B438, "Using plasma physics to weigh the photon" ' and the first three links were full .pdf's, not just the abstract and no paywall.

Likes russ_watters
You can only lead a horse to water...

Zz.

Dale said:
I googled 'DD Ryutov, Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 49 (2007) B429–B438, "Using plasma physics to weigh the photon" ' and the first three links were full .pdf's, not just the abstract and no paywall.

Well I didn't, I only found a pay link, but if being the best web link poster on the forum floats your boat then have fun.

I am just going to assume that you are at least as lazy because instead of a simple response at the level asked you inflated your ego by a bunch of links.

If you can't respond appropriately then don't just humiliate andf demean.

I think we're done here. Julian, if you want to take a day to catch your breath and try to absorb what you've been given, please feel free to try again with specific questions referencing what has been provided to you.

Likes davenn

Related to Reasoning for photon having no mass

1. Why do photons have no mass?

Photons have no mass because they are considered to be massless particles. They are the carriers of electromagnetic radiation and are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How can something exist without mass?

Photons are considered to be "particles" in the sense that they have energy and momentum, but they do not have rest mass. Their existence is not dependent on mass, but rather on their properties as defined by quantum mechanics.

3. What evidence supports the idea that photons have no mass?

Experiments, such as the famous double-slit experiment, have shown that photons behave like waves, which is consistent with their massless nature. Additionally, the speed of light, which photons travel at, is constant and does not change with the presence of mass.

4. How do photons interact with matter if they have no mass?

Although photons themselves have no mass, they do carry energy and momentum, which allows them to interact with matter. This is how we are able to see light and how solar panels can convert light into electricity.

5. Is it possible for a photon to gain mass?

No, it is not possible for a photon to gain mass. As mentioned before, their existence is defined by their massless nature and changing this fundamental property is not possible.