Is the Photon Truly Massless? Examining Einstein's Law of Relative Mass

• Thread starter Albert Thomas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Photon
In summary, photons are massless particles that travel at the speed of light. According to Einstein's law of relative mass, when a particle travels at the speed of light, its mass becomes infinite. However, this concept is outdated and not used by most physicists. The correct equation for particles traveling at light speed is E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (cp)^2, which shows that a particle with finite energy and traveling at light speed must have zero mass. This is why photons, being energy particles that travel at light speed, have no mass.
Albert Thomas
We know that the photons are massless particles. The traveling speed of the photon is equal to the speed of the light(C). The Einstein's law of relative mass is says when a particle travels at the speed of light, then it's mass becomes infinity (i.e. highly increases). The photons are also energy particles which travels at the speed of light. Then why the photons have no mass?

Science news on Phys.org
Albert Thomas said:
The Einstein's law of relative mass is says when a particle travels at the speed of light, then it's mass becomes infinity (i.e. highly increases).
Relativistic mass is an antiquated concept not used by most physicists.

The mass physicists will generally talk about is the invariant mass (since we do not use relativistic mass, we normally just call it "mass").

Do the photons have Higg's field?

Albert Thomas said:
Do the photons have Higg's field?
This is a nonsense statement. Particles do not "have" Higgs field. They may in general have interactions with the Higgs field that results in a mass when electroweak symmetry is broken, but the electromagnetic field does not.

Likes bhobba
Albert Thomas said:
We know that the photons are massless particles. The traveling speed of the photon is equal to the speed of the light(C). The Einstein's law of relative mass is says when a particle travels at the speed of light, then it's mass becomes infinity (i.e. highly increases). The photons are also energy particles which travels at the speed of light. Then why the photons have no mass?

If a particle with non-zero rest mass is accelerated from rest its mass increases as its speed increases.

A photon does not need to be accelerated to go at light speed. Its rest mass is zero. Any particle with rest mass zero will go at light speed without being pushed.

bobkolker said:
If a particle with non-zero rest mass is accelerated from rest its mass increases as its speed increases.
No it does not. Again, relativistic mass is a deprecated concept. The only mass physicists talk about is invariant mass. We just call it "mass".

Likes bhobba
Some empathy for the newbs here, every textbook I have ever seen that introduces relativity defines relativistic mass as a brute fact of nature.

houlahound said:
Some empathy for the newbs here, every textbook I have ever seen that introduces relativity defines relativistic mass as a brute fact of nature.
This hasn't been my experience. I just checked all of the textbooks I have, and none mentions relativistic mass. Some are from when I was in college 30+ years ago, and some are from classes I've taught during the past few years. Griffith's book on particle physics, I recall, mentioned the idea only to ridicule it.

Pop-sci books, in contrast, seem to go out of their way to emphasize the idea to make relativity sound really cool and mind-blowing. If you were to say the energy of the particle increases without bound as its speed approaches that of light, it doesn't sound too exciting. But if you say its mass increases, readers find it intriguing, and the authors know this. (At least this was true of the books I read in the past; I don't know if they still do it. Given how often the question comes up here, I'm guessing they still do.)

Likes bhobba, hsdrop, PeroK and 2 others
vela said:
Pop-sci books, in contrast, seem to go out of their way to emphasize the idea to make relativity sound really cool and mind-blowing.
Basically this. Regardless, it should not need to be repeated in a thread with 7 posts.

Q: Why does a photon have no mass?

A: Because it's light.

Likes hsdrop, DennisN and Nugatory
Jehannum said:
Q: Why does a photon have no mass?

Hmmmm... Should I "like" this post, or should I give @Jehannum a warning for it? There's nothing in the forum rules about bad puns...

Likes hsdrop, vela and jbriggs444
Jehannum said:

Photons don't need to be light and light may have mass.

Nugatory said:
Hmmmm... Should I "like" this post, or should I give @Jehannum a warning for it? There's nothing in the forum rules about bad puns...

Who has not heard that one before? But I don't work here any more and I am only mildly suffering from parking-guard-on-vacation-in-less-organized-country-syndrome.

Nugatory said:
Well, you could always do both. But I think you should give Jehannum a pass for the proper use of the it's as opposed to its.

vela said:
Well, you could always do both. But I think you should give Jehannum a pass for the proper use of the it's as opposed to its.
That's funny, just yesterday I berated my PhD student for getting it wrong the other way around in his thesis draft.

Orodruin said:
That's funny, just yesterday I berated my PhD student for getting it wrong the other way around in his thesis draft.

At least it was only an apostrophe and not a catastrophe.

Likes Drakkith
Albert Thomas said:
Just to add a little bit on what Orodruin and Vela have already wrote to you: in case you are thinking to the equation:
E = m*c^2,
E = body's energy, m = body's mass, this equation doesn't tell you anything in this case, because it's correct *only for not moving bodies*, that is, it is valid only in a frame of reference where the body's momentum is zero; so it couldn't be more incorrect for photons...
The correct equation, that is, the one which is always correct in special relativity, is:
E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (cp)^2 (1)
p = momentum.
We know from classical electrodynamics that light's momentum p is equal to cp. Then, from (1) you see that m must be zero.

In general, every particle which has finite energy and which travels at light speed must have zero mass.

--
lightarrow

A long and off-topic digression has been moved to another thread. The question that started this thread has been answered, so this thread is closed.

1. Why does the photon have no mass?

The photon has no mass because it is a fundamental particle and does not interact with the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. Additionally, the photon is always moving at the speed of light, and according to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light.

2. How does the lack of mass affect the behavior of photons?

The lack of mass allows photons to travel at the speed of light and have a constant velocity. It also means that photons do not experience time or undergo gravitational effects. This makes them unique from particles with mass.

3. Can photons be affected by gravity?

Despite having no mass, photons can still be affected by gravity. This is because they have energy and momentum, which can be influenced by gravitational fields. In fact, the bending of light by massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is evidence of this.

4. If photons have no mass, how do they carry energy?

While photons do not have mass, they do have momentum and energy. This is because they have a wave-like nature and carry energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. The energy of a photon is directly related to its frequency and inversely related to its wavelength.

5. Are there any theories that suggest photons may have mass?

There are some theories, such as the Standard-Model Extension, that predict the possibility of photons having a very small mass. However, this has not been confirmed by experiments, and the current consensus in the scientific community is that photons are massless particles.