Reason justifying it's own reasonings.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of circular reasoning and justifying logic in philosophy. The question posed is how to avoid unnecessary rationalization and whether science can provide a solution. The speaker suggests that a pragmatic approach may be more effective and that logic is often taken for granted or relied upon with blind faith. They also mention that premises in philosophy often come from induction and deduction. However, the thread does not adhere to philosophy guidelines.
Willowz
I think this process happens very often. Somebody starts with some assumptions or premises and his or her reason is justifying these premises. I mean words are circular after all and if you open any book on theology and/or God you might get my point.

Here's the question. How do we avoid unnecessary rationalisation? It's so useless and such a waste of time.

Is science the answer to this epistemic problem? Can you actually think "scientifically"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Unnecessary" implies it is useless or at least extraneous and a pragmatic approach is preferred.

What do you mean? I don't know much philosophy/logic. Are you asking how do we justify logic? I don't think we can. If we try to justify logic by using logic, that'd just be circular. If we try to invent some higher form of logic, we still have the same issue or trying to justify that. Invent an even higher form of logic or use that higher form to justify itself? I think we just take it for granted or just have blind faith in it, logic I mean.

I think most premises come from induction stuff and some from deduction.

This thread does not meet philosophy guidelines.

I believe that the scientific method is the best approach to avoid unnecessary rationalization. The scientific method involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, and conducting experiments to test those hypotheses. This process allows us to gather evidence and make conclusions based on data, rather than relying solely on our own reasoning and assumptions.

One of the key principles of the scientific method is falsifiability, which means that hypotheses and theories must be able to be tested and potentially disproven. This helps to prevent unnecessary rationalization, as it encourages us to challenge our own beliefs and assumptions and seek evidence to support or refute them.

In addition, the peer-review process in science also helps to prevent unnecessary rationalization. Before research findings are published, they are rigorously evaluated by other experts in the field, who look for flaws in the methodology and reasoning. This helps to ensure that only well-supported and valid conclusions are accepted and avoids the potential for circular reasoning.

While it is possible for scientists to fall into the trap of unnecessary rationalization, the scientific method provides a framework to minimize this risk. It encourages critical thinking, evidence-based reasoning, and the continuous evaluation and refinement of ideas. Therefore, I do believe that science is an effective tool for addressing this epistemic problem.

As for whether one can think "scientifically," I believe that anyone can adopt a scientific mindset and approach problems and questions in a logical and evidence-based manner. It is not limited to those with a formal scientific education, but rather it is a way of thinking and approaching the world that can be learned and applied by anyone.

Related to Reason justifying it's own reasonings.

1. What is "Reason justifying its own reasonings?"

"Reason justifying its own reasonings" refers to the concept of using logical and rational thinking to support and validate one's beliefs, arguments, or actions. It involves critically examining and evaluating one's own reasoning process to ensure that it is sound and logical.

2. Why is "Reason justifying its own reasonings" important?

It is important because it allows us to think critically and make rational decisions based on evidence and logical reasoning. It helps us avoid making impulsive or irrational choices and encourages us to question our own beliefs and biases.

3. How does one use "Reason justifying its own reasonings?"

One can use "Reason justifying its own reasonings" by carefully analyzing and evaluating their own thought process. This can involve identifying any biases, logical fallacies, or gaps in reasoning and finding evidence to support one's beliefs or arguments.

4. Can "Reason justifying its own reasonings" be applied to all situations?

While "Reason justifying its own reasonings" can be applied to many situations, it may not be applicable to all situations. For example, in highly emotional or subjective situations, it may be difficult to use reason to justify one's actions or beliefs.

5. What are the benefits of using "Reason justifying its own reasonings?"

The benefits of using "Reason justifying its own reasonings" include making more informed and logical decisions, improving critical thinking skills, and being able to defend one's beliefs or arguments with evidence and sound reasoning.