Realistic air velocties regarding a wing while in flight

• Thread starter Bill_Nye_Fan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Flight
In summary, the conversation discusses the values of air velocities over and under an aerofoil, with the expectation that the velocity over the top should be greater than the velocity over the bottom by a reasonable amount. The plane is traveling at a constant altitude and a speed of 250 m/s. The book "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and Von Doenhoff is recommended as a resource for this data, but the individual is currently unable to access a library. They are looking for general values of air velocities, with the expectation that the value over the top of an airfoil will be less than 2 and greater than 1, usually peaking between 1.2-1.5, and the value over the bottom typically
Bill_Nye_Fan
I want to know what values would be realistic for the air velocities both going over the top of an aerofoil and going underneath an aerofoil (that is, the velocity over the top of the wing should be greater than the velocity over the bottom by a reasonable amount). Also, the plane is traveling at a unchanging altitude and is moving at an average velocity of 250 m/s.

Sorry if this doesn't really make sense, I just really need to know. I will clarify any questions you may have about this. Thank you guys for your help.

Science news on Phys.org
Do you have access to a library like at a university? If you check out the book Theory of Wing Sections by Abbott and Von Doenhoff it has that sort of data tabulated at the end in appendices for a number of different airfoil shapes.

I am sadly unable to get access to a library at the moment.

Also, I'm not really interested in the shape of the aerofoil currently. I'm looking more generalised values, but I would still like them to be realistic.

Anyway, thank you for your time nonetheless!

It really depends on the shape though. The value of ##u/U_{\infty}## over the top of an airfoil is going to be less than 2 and greater than 1. Usually it's going to peak in the range of 1.2 to 1.5 or so. On the bottom it is usually somewhere just below 1 for most of the chord length.

Related to Realistic air velocties regarding a wing while in flight

1. What is the typical air velocity around a wing during flight?

The air velocity around a wing during flight can vary depending on factors such as the speed and angle of the aircraft, as well as external conditions like wind speed. However, on average, air velocities around a wing can range from 100 to 300 miles per hour.

2. How does air velocity affect lift on a wing?

Air velocity is a crucial factor in generating lift on a wing. According to Bernoulli's principle, as air velocity increases, the pressure around the wing decreases, creating a pressure differential and resulting in lift.

3. Can air velocity vary at different points on a wing?

Yes, air velocity can vary at different points on a wing. This is because of the shape and design of the wing, which can cause changes in air pressure and velocity at different locations.

4. How do engineers calculate realistic air velocities for wing design?

Engineers use a combination of wind tunnel testing and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations to calculate realistic air velocities for wing design. These methods allow for accurate predictions of air velocities at different points on the wing.

5. Can air velocity impact the stability of an aircraft?

Yes, air velocity can impact the stability of an aircraft. If the air velocity is too high or too low, it can cause problems with lift, control, and overall flight stability. This is why engineers carefully consider air velocities when designing aircraft wings.