Real quick question on 2nd order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with a constant on the right hand side. The first step is to solve the associated homogeneous equation, which has imaginary roots. Then, a constant solution is added to the equation and the general solution is found. Finally, the conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
rcw110131

Homework Statement

How do I go about solving [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2+ (g/L) \theta= g[/itex]? It's been 2.5 years since I had diff eq.

Homework Equations

^

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know. I've spent the past 2 hours going through old books and searching online and still can't figure it out :frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heres a quick and decent review of homogeneous and nonhomogenous second order diffyq's

http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/MathAppendices/Differential_Eqs.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
also since this looks a lot like a pendulum problem, curious as to the problem that gave rise to it, ie the pendulum would be the homogeneous soln where right side eqn=0.

denverdoc said:
also since this looks a lot like a pendulum problem, curious as to the problem that gave rise to it, ie the pendulum would be the homogeneous soln where right side eqn=0.

It's the problem a few posts below about a father pushing a child on a swing. If you have any other help I'd greatly appreciate it.

i see, i'd just repost your query there. I'd help but got to earn a living today

rcw110131 said:

Homework Statement

How do I go about solving [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2+ (g/L) \theta= g[/itex]? It's been 2.5 years since I had diff eq.

Homework Equations

^

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know. I've spent the past 2 hours going through old books and searching online and still can't figure it out :frown:
This is more math than physics but here is how: first ignore the "g" on the right hand side to get the "associated homogeneous equation" [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2+ (g/L)\theta= 0[/itex]. It's "characteristic equation" is [itex]r^2+ (g/L)= 0[/itex] which has imaginary roots: [itex]r= \pm \sqrt{g/L}[/itex] and so the homogeneous equation has general solution [itex]Ccos(\sqrt{g/L}t)+ Dsin(\sqrt{g/L}t)[/itex].

Now, since the righthand side of the orginal equation was a constant, g, we "look for" a constant solution, y= A, to the entire equations. y'= 0 so the equation becomes 0+ (g/L)A= g and so A= L. The general solution to the entire equation is [itex]y(t)= C cos(\sqrt{g/L}t)+ D sin(\sqrt{g/L}t)+ L[/itex].

Thank you so much, I can't even tell you how much I appreciate your help! I finally got it; using the initial conditions, C ends up as 1-L, and then taking the derivative and using the initial conditions again, D has to equal zero, leaving only the cosine term and the L. Thanks again!

Related to Real quick question on 2nd order differential equation

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with acceleration, such as motion of objects or electrical circuits.

What is the general form of a 2nd order differential equation?

The general form of a 2nd order differential equation is: y''(x) = f(x, y(x), y'(x)), where y'' is the second derivative of y with respect to x and f is a function that may depend on x, y, and y'.

What are some common methods for solving 2nd order differential equations?

Some common methods for solving 2nd order differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The method used will depend on the specific equation and initial conditions.

What are the applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model systems with acceleration, such as motion of objects, vibrations, and electrical circuits.

How is a 2nd order differential equation different from a 1st order differential equation?

A 1st order differential equation involves the first derivative of a function, while a 2nd order differential equation involves the second derivative. This means that the solution to a 2nd order differential equation will have two arbitrary constants, compared to only one for a 1st order differential equation.