Real inner product spaces and self adjoint linear transformations

In summary: P from V to V. We need to show that S^-1PS^-1 is also self-adjoint. Using the same approach as before, we can write:<v, S^-1PS^-1w> = <S^-1v, PS^-1w> (since P is self-adjoint)= <S^-1v, S^-1PSw> (since P is linear)= <v, PSw> (since S^-1 is the inverse of S)= <v, S^-1PSw> (since P is self-adjoint)= <v, S^-1w> (since S is self-adjoint)Therefore, we have
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Let V be a real inner product space of dimension n and let Q be a linear
transformation from V to V .
Suppose that Q is non-singular and self-adjoint. Show that Q−1 is self-adjoint.
Suppose, furthermore, that Q is positive-definite (that is, <Qv,v> > 0 for all non-zero v
in V ). Show that the eigenvalues of Q are positive. Deduce that there exists a positive
self-adjoint linear transformation S from V to V such that S2 = Q.
Now let P be a self-adjoint linear transformation from V to V . Show that S−1PS−1 is self-adjoint. Deduce, or prove otherwise, that there exist scalars f1, . . . , fn and linearly independent vectors e1, . . . , en in V such that, for i, j = 1, 2, . . . , n:

*This is the bit I can't do*
(i) Pei = fiQei;
(ii) <Pei, ej> = dij fi;
(iii) <Qei, ej> = dij .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm coming back to maths after a few weeks break for Christmas. I have managed most of this question, it is just the last section that I'm unsure how to attempt. I assume I use previous parts of the question, but I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a push in the right direction as to how.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to assist you with this problem. From the given information, we know that Q is a non-singular and self-adjoint linear transformation in a real inner product space V of dimension n. This means that Q has an inverse, which we will denote as Q^-1, and that Q is equal to its own adjoint, or Q*=Q.

To show that Q^-1 is also self-adjoint, we can use the definition of the adjoint operator. Let v and w be two vectors in V. Then, we have:

<v, Q^-1w> = <Qv, w> (since Q is self-adjoint)

= <v, Qw> (since Q is linear)

= <v, Q(Q^-1w)> (since Q is self-adjoint)

= <v, w> (since Q^-1 is the inverse of Q)

Therefore, we have shown that <v, Q^-1w> = <Q^-1v, w>, which means that Q^-1 is self-adjoint.

Next, we are given that Q is positive-definite, which means that the inner product of Qv with itself is always positive for any non-zero vector v in V. This can be written as:

<Qv, v> > 0 (for all non-zero v in V)

Since Q is self-adjoint, we can also write this as:

<Qv, Qv> > 0 (for all non-zero v in V)

Now, let λ be an eigenvalue of Q and let v be its corresponding eigenvector. Then, we have:

<Qv, Qv> = <λv, λv> = λ<Qv, v>

Since <Qv, Qv> > 0 and <Qv, v> > 0, we can conclude that λ must be positive. Therefore, all eigenvalues of Q are positive.

Using this information, we can now deduce the existence of a positive self-adjoint linear transformation S from V to V such that S^2 = Q. This is because we can define S as the square root of Q, which would satisfy both conditions of being positive and self-adjoint.

Moving on to the last part of the question, we are given a self-adjoint linear

Related to Real inner product spaces and self adjoint linear transformations

1. What is a real inner product space?

A real inner product space is a vector space where each pair of vectors has a unique inner product, which is a real-valued function that satisfies certain properties such as linearity, symmetry, and positive-definiteness. This allows for notions of length, angle, and orthogonality to be defined in the space.

2. What is a self-adjoint linear transformation?

A self-adjoint linear transformation is a linear transformation on a real inner product space that satisfies the property of self-adjointness, which means that the transformation is its own adjoint. In other words, the transformation and its adjoint have the same matrix representation with respect to an orthonormal basis.

3. How are real inner product spaces and self-adjoint linear transformations related?

Real inner product spaces and self-adjoint linear transformations are closely related because the self-adjointness property is only defined for linear transformations on inner product spaces. This means that a linear transformation can only be self-adjoint if the underlying space has an inner product defined on it.

4. What are some important properties of self-adjoint linear transformations?

Self-adjoint linear transformations have several important properties, including the fact that they have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. They also preserve orthogonality between vectors, and their matrix representations are always symmetric. Additionally, self-adjoint transformations are diagonalizable and have orthogonal eigenvectors if the underlying space is finite-dimensional.

5. How are self-adjoint linear transformations used in science?

Self-adjoint linear transformations have many applications in science, particularly in quantum mechanics and signal processing. In quantum mechanics, self-adjoint operators represent observables and play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of the theory. In signal processing, self-adjoint transformations can be used to analyze and manipulate signals, such as in image and audio processing.