Real & Complex Analysis: Beginner's Guide

In summary: Re: analysis suggetionI suggest that you take a course on real analysis. A good place to start would be with a textbook such as Introduction to Real Analysis by Thomas H. Malthus.
mathworker
what is the best best way to start with real and complex analysis i don't have any prior knowledge about them(i think).any suggestions 'bout books or websites.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: analysis suggetion

mathworker said:
what is the best best way to start with real and complex analysis i don't have any prior knowledge about them(i think).any suggestions 'bout books or websites.

Just make sure you have a decent knowledge of algebra, functions, calculus and complex numbers. You'll learn about the content for Real and Complex Analysis in class...

A pretty standard introduction to analysis textbook is the principle of mathematical analysis by Rudin. However I would say that this is pretty dense if you have not done any analysis before.

I remember I tried to do some advanced reading for my first course in analysis by Rudin and found it pretty tough (I couldn't really do it). It is a great book have later on though to use along side an analysis course.

In complex analysis I suggest Fundamentals of complex analysis ... . It is one of the best books in complex analysis I have every read , even though I read around four but it is really really valuable . You just need to read the first 6 chapters until the end of applications of Residue theory . The book is easy to follow and it contains lots of good exercises .

I suggest a recent book on analysis: Mathematical Analysis: A Concise Introduction. The author has taken great care in providing many aids in the first four chapters and only then began to remove the scaffolding.

While Rudin is a classic, let us not forget the mention in its preface that "it is meant for first year graduate or last year undergraduate students." Furthermore, most people who worked through this book did so with the help of a teacher, making it all more reasonable. Tackling Rudin by yourself is a pretty difficult, to say the least, enterprise.

Back to Schröder, it is a comprehensive book. You'll get exposure to all of analysis of one variable, including numerical methods (giving you a taste of numerical analysis), and then moving on to more general settings. The author has explicitly stated that the emphasis is on the methods of real analysis, particularly those that generalize to other contexts. Therefore, most of what you learn is applicable directly mutatis mutandis. I

f you are lacking in motivation, part three of the book is named Applied Analysis, furnishing many examples in diverse areas. It starts off with physics, going through harmonic oscillators, Maxwell's equations, heat equation and diffusion PDEs to name a few, passes by ordinary differential equations in Banach spaces and ends with the Finite Elements Method. He advises the interested readers to go straight to those chapters to have an idea of what can be done.

Amidst part one you have small bits of the theory of Lebesgue integration intervened with the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, showing you what are each strengths and providing insight of why certain definitions and theorems will appear in part two. Part two is where the generalization begins and you get to reap benefits from your efforts in analysis in one variable: he discusses vector spaces, metric spaces, normed spaces and inner product spaces. He gives a thorough explanation of metric spaces topology, which makes for a long but useful chapter. He then proceeds to construct measure spaces and integration in more abstract settings, but since you had such good guidance in one variable and given his focus on methods, many proofs are labelled "see theorem X.Y", and more often than not you will see it is almost copy and paste. In this part you will get a taste of Measure Theory, a slight Introduction to Differential Geometry and Hilbert Spaces, thus demonstrating how analysis isn't an island but a coherent continent connected with many areas of mathematics. (Happy)

ZaidAlyafey said:
In complex analysis I suggest Fundamentals of complex analysis ... . It is one of the best books in complex analysis I have every read , even though I read around four but it is really really valuable . You just need to read the first 6 chapters until the end of applications of Residue theory . The book is easy to follow and it contains lots of good exercises .

I still have this textbook from when I took complex analysis a few years ago, and it has definitely served me well. (Smile)

Prove It said:
Just make sure you have a decent knowledge of algebra, functions, calculus and complex numbers. You'll learn about the content for Real and Complex Analysis in class...

i am actually shifting on to mechanical engineering in my university education so i am not sure i will be taught real analysis in class

Related to Real & Complex Analysis: Beginner's Guide

1. What is the difference between real and complex analysis?

Real analysis is the study of real-valued functions and their properties, while complex analysis focuses on complex-valued functions and their properties. In real analysis, the domain and range of functions are both real numbers, while in complex analysis, the domain and range of functions are both complex numbers.

2. What are some common examples of real and complex functions?

Examples of real functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. Examples of complex functions include complex polynomials, complex logarithms, and complex trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

3. How does real and complex analysis relate to other branches of mathematics?

Real and complex analysis are important tools in many other branches of mathematics, such as differential equations, topology, and number theory. They provide a foundation for understanding more advanced concepts and techniques in these fields.

4. What are some applications of real and complex analysis in the real world?

Real and complex analysis have many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and financial markets.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in real and complex analysis?

To improve in real and complex analysis, it is important to have a solid understanding of calculus and basic mathematical concepts, as well as practice solving problems and applying theorems. It is also helpful to study from textbooks, attend lectures or seminars, and seek guidance from a mentor or professor.