Real analysis, simpl(er) questions

In summary, to find f([0,3]) for the function f(x)=1/3x^3-x+1, we simply plug in the values of x=3 into the function to get 8. To find the values of 'a' for which f is a contraction, we set up the equation |f(x)-f(y)|<=n|x-y| and substitute f(x) and f(y) with e^(-ax) and e^(-ay) respectively. After simplifying, we get a=-ln(n)/(x+y) as the value of 'a' that ensures 0 < n < 1.
rayred

Homework Statement

It is a 4 parter, but i got 3 and 4 done.

a) Find f ([0,3]) for the following function:
f(x)=1/3 x^3 − x + 1

b) Consider the following function :
f(x) = e^(−ax) (e raised to the power of '-a' times 'x') a, x ∈ [0,∞)
Find values of a for which f is a contraction .

The Attempt at a Solution

You would think that a is simple to me, but it is not. How does one go about solving a, because I have in my notes to take the max and min of [0, 3] then evaluate at those points, then do something with f prime? I am all confused because I must have screwed up my notes. Should not be too hard to answer

Now, I think I know what a contraction is, but I seem to be having problem
A contraction is something defined as such:

| f(x) - f(y) | <= n|x - y| for some 0 < n < 1... correct?
am i setting
f(x) = e^(-a_1x)
f(y) = e^(-a_2x)
so are we finding a value a that ensures 0 < n < 1 ? if so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) f([0,3])=1/3 (3^3)-(3)+1 = 8b) To find the values of 'a' for which f is a contraction, we need to set up the equation. We have |f(x)-f(y)|<=n|x-y|. We can substitute f(x) and f(y) with e^(-ax) and e^(-ay), respectively. This gives us |e^(-ax)-e^(-ay)|<=n|x-y|. After rearranging, this becomes e^(-ax)-e^(-ay)<=n|x-y|. Taking the natural log of both sides, we get -ax-ay<=ln(n)|x-y|. Simplifying, we get -(a)(x+y)<=ln(n)|x-y|. This can be further simplified to a=-ln(n)/(x+y). Thus, the value of 'a' that ensures 0 < n < 1 is ln(n)/(x+y).

Related to Real analysis, simpl(er) questions

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the understanding of limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration of functions defined on the real number line.

2. What are the key concepts in real analysis?

The key concepts in real analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences, and series. These concepts are used to study the behavior of functions and their properties on the real number line.

3. How is real analysis used in other fields?

Real analysis is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for these fields and helps in solving complex problems by using analytical techniques.

4. What are some common applications of real analysis?

Real analysis has many practical applications, including modeling physical phenomena such as motion and heat transfer, optimizing functions in economics and engineering, and analyzing data in statistics and machine learning. It also plays a crucial role in developing mathematical models for scientific research and technology.

5. What are some useful resources for learning real analysis?

There are many resources available for learning real analysis, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some popular books include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free video lectures and practice exercises for beginners. Additionally, many universities have open access course materials for real analysis that can be found through a simple internet search.