Real Analysis - Prove the Riemann Integral Converges

In summary, the conversation discusses various problems and approaches to solving them, including the use of inequalities and arguments for proving Riemann integrability. The importance of being specific and providing justification is also highlighted.
joypav
Just a couple questions.

Problem 2: Just would like to know if this is the correct approach for this problem.

Problem 3: I am just wondering if I can use Problem 2 to prove the first part of Problem 3? Because to me, they seem very similar.

Problem 4: Would I use the MVT for integrals here?

It's not necessary for me to get a full answer, just wanted to make sure I was starting them correctly.

View attachment 6482

Attachments

• RealAnalysisHW2.jpg
    RealAnalysisHW2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 87
Physics news on Phys.org
joypav said:
Problem 2: Just would like to know if this is the correct approach for this problem.
How do you know that the positive and negative parts of $f$ are improper Riemann integrable? There needs to be more justification.

A way to avoid the issue is to consider the inequality

$$\left\lvert \int_a^c f(x)\, dx - \int_a^d f(x)\, dx\right\rvert \le \int_d^\infty \lvert f(x)\rvert\, dx$$

for $c > d$.

joypav said:
Problem 3: I am just wondering if I can use Problem 2 to prove the first part of Problem 3? Because to me, they seem very similar.
Yes, you can.
joypav said:
Problem 4: Would I use the MVT for integrals here?
No. You'll need to prove that $f(c+)$ and $f(c-)$ exist (unless you're allowed to assume that) -- that's where monotonicity of $f$ is used. An $\epsilon-\delta$ argument will do for this problem.

Euge said:
No. You'll need to prove that $f(c+)$ and $f(c-)$ exist (unless you're allowed to assume that) -- that's where monotonicity of $f$ is used. An $\epsilon-\delta$ argument will do for this problem.

I see. $f$ is monotone increasing on the closed interval $[a,b]$, so it is bounded above. Then show that $f(c+)$ is equal to $inf(f(x))$ where $c<x$. Similarly for $f(c-)$.

I can also assume, by the definition given for $F(x)$, that $f\in R[a,b]$ and $F'(c)=f(c)$ for all $c\in[a,b]$? Then I can use these assumptions to rewrite $F_+^{'}(c)$ and show it is equal to $f(c+)$?

Euge said:
How do you know that the positive and negative parts of $f$ are improper Riemann integrable? There needs to be more justification.

A way to avoid the issue is to consider the inequality

$$\left\lvert \int_a^c f(x)\, dx - \int_a^d f(x)\, dx\right\rvert \le \int_d^\infty \lvert f(x)\rvert\, dx$$

for $c > d$.

View attachment 6487

Can we not use the above argument to show that they are Riemann integrable? Using the fact that f is absolutely integrable.

Attachments

• proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 65
joypav said:
I can also assume, by the definition given for $F(x)$, that $f\in R[a,b]$ and $F'(c)=f(c)$ for all $c\in[a,b]$? Then I can use these assumptions to rewrite $F_+^{'}(c)$ and show it is equal to $f(c+)$?
No, but one argues that a monotone function on a closed interval $[a,b]$ belongs to $R[a,b]$. So then $F$ would make sense. Use an $\epsilon-\delta$ argument to show $F_+^{'}(c) = f(c+)$ and similarly for $F_{-}^{'}(c)$.
joypav said:
Can we not use the above argument to show that they are Riemann integrable? Using the fact that f is absolutely integrable.
No. For the indicator function on the rationals (also known as Dirichlet's function) is bounded by Riemann integrable functions, but it is not itself Riemann integrable. Typically, to prove Riemann integrability, partitions or tagged partitions are used.

Euge said:
No. For the indicator function on the rationals (also known as Dirichlet's function) is bounded by Riemann integrable functions, but it is not itself Riemann integrable. Typically, to prove Riemann integrability, partitions or tagged partitions are used.

I see. Being bounded does not prove that it is Riemann integrable. Thank you for the help. My professor is a stickler for detail, and rightfully so.

Euge said:
No, but one argues that a monotone function on a closed interval $[a,b]$ belongs to $R[a,b]$. So then $F$ would make sense. Use an $\epsilon-\delta$ argument to show $F_+^{'}(c) = f(c+)$ and similarly for $F_{-}^{'}(c)$.

I'm sorry, but I just can't figure out this problem. I finished the other one, but I'm still stuck on this question. Do you have any other advice?

Yes. Let $h > 0$ such that $c + h\in (a,b)$. Then

$$F(c + h) - F(c) - f(c+)h = \int_c^{c+h} [f(t) - f(c+)]\, dt $$

Let $\epsilon > 0$. There exists a $\delta > 0$ such that for all $t$, $c < t < c + h$ implies $\lvert f(t) - f(c+)\rvert < \epsilon$. Now prove $\lvert F(c + h) - F(c) - f(c+)h\rvert < \epsilon h$ whenever $0 < h < \delta$. Then $F_+'(c) = f(c+)$. Argue similarly to show $F_{-}'(c) = f(c-)$.

Related to Real Analysis - Prove the Riemann Integral Converges

1. What is the Riemann Integral and why is it important?

The Riemann Integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the Riemann Integral calculated?

The Riemann Integral is calculated by dividing the given interval into smaller subintervals, approximating the area under the curve in each subinterval using rectangles, and then taking the limit of the sum of these approximations as the number of subintervals approaches infinity.

3. What does it mean for the Riemann Integral to converge?

When the Riemann Integral converges, it means that the limit of the approximations we calculated in the previous question exists and is a finite value. This indicates that the area under the curve can be accurately calculated and has a definite, finite value.

4. Why is it important to prove that the Riemann Integral converges?

Proving that the Riemann Integral converges is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of our calculations. It also allows us to confidently use the Riemann Integral to solve real-world problems and make accurate predictions.

5. What are some common techniques used to prove the convergence of the Riemann Integral?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove the convergence of the Riemann Integral, including the squeeze theorem, the comparison test, and the Cauchy criterion. These techniques involve analyzing the properties of the function, the interval, and the approximations used in the calculation.