Real Analysis - Riemann Integral Proof

In summary, the limit of a Riemann integral can be defined using the continuity of the function at a given point, and the maximum value of the integral can be found.
joypav
View attachment 6476

I have no idea how to incorporate the limit into the basic definitions for a Riemann integral? All we have learned so far is how to define a Riemann integral and the properties of Riemann integrals. What should I be using for this?

Attachments

• RealAnalysisHW1.jpg
    RealAnalysisHW1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, joypav! (Wave)

Without loss of generality, assume $f(0) = 0$. For the result is equivalent to $\lim\limits_{n\to \infty} \int_0^1 g(x^n)\, dx = 0$, where $g(t) = f(t) - f(0)$. Let $\epsilon > 0$. By continuity of $f$ at $0$, there is a positive number $\delta\in (0,1)$ such that for all $t\in [0,1]$, $\lvert t\vert < \delta$ implies $\lvert f(t)\rvert < \epsilon$. Now write

$$\int_0^1 f(x^n)\, dx = \int_0^{\sqrt[n]{\delta}} f(x^n)\, dx + \int_{\sqrt[n]{\delta}}^1 f(x^n)\, dx$$

Since $\lvert f\rvert$ is continuous on $[0,1]$, it has a maximum value, $M$. Show that $\int_{\sqrt[n]{\delta}}^1\, f(x^n)\, dx$ is bounded by $M(1 - \sqrt[n]{\delta})$, and that $\int_0^{\sqrt[n]{\delta}} f(x^n)\, dx$ is bounded by $\epsilon \sqrt[n]{\delta}$. Then

$$\left\lvert \int_0^1 f(x^n)\, dx \right\rvert \le \epsilon \sqrt[n]{\delta} + M(1 - \sqrt[n]{\delta})$$

Letting $\epsilon \to 0^+$, we obtain

$$\left\lvert \int_0^1 f(x^n)\, dx\right\rvert \le M(1 - \sqrt[n]{\delta})$$

Finish the argument using the squeeze theorem.

I see. So it relies mostly on the continuity of f on the interval. We can prove the bounds using that the integral <= M(b-a).

I do have a question though.. why do we not bound the integral by epsilon(1-(delta)^1/n) and epsilon(delta)^1/n. Then when you add up the two integrals you would get that the whole integral from 0 to 1 is <= 2epsilon. And because of continuity, we can make this 0 by letting epsilon approach 0.

I guess my question is, why do we use M at all? Doesn't epsilon bound f(t)?

(Sorry, I'm typing on my phone, so can't use the correct symbols.)

We cannot bound the second integral by $\epsilon (1-\delta^{1/n})$, because it is not true that $\lvert f(t)\rvert < \epsilon $ whenever $\lvert t\rvert \ge \delta $. If we had that, then there would be no need to break up the integral into two parts, as we've done here.

Euge said:
We cannot bound the second integral by $\epsilon (1-\delta^{1/n})$, because it is not true that $\lvert f(t)\rvert < \epsilon $ whenever $\lvert t\rvert \ge \delta $. If we had that, then there would be no need to break up the integral into two parts, as we've done here.

I see. Thank you

Related to Real Analysis - Riemann Integral Proof

1. What is the Riemann integral?

The Riemann integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the total change of a function over a certain interval. It is named after mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is an important tool in real analysis.

2. How is the Riemann integral different from other types of integrals?

The Riemann integral differs from other types of integrals, such as the Lebesgue integral, in that it is based on the concept of partitioning an interval into smaller subintervals and approximating the area under the curve using rectangles. It is also defined for a wider range of functions compared to other integrals.

3. What is the proof of the Riemann integral?

The proof of the Riemann integral is a rigorous mathematical argument that shows the existence and uniqueness of the integral for a given function over a certain interval. It involves breaking the interval into smaller subintervals, calculating the area of each subinterval, and taking the limit as the number of subintervals approaches infinity.

4. What is the importance of the Riemann integral in mathematics?

The Riemann integral is important in mathematics because it provides a way to calculate areas and solve various problems in calculus, such as finding the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity. It is also a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used in many other branches of mathematics.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Riemann integral?

Yes, the Riemann integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force, the volume of a solid with a changing cross-section, or the cost of a product with a changing price. It is also used in computer science for numerical integration methods.