Real Analysis - Natural Number Induction

In summary: Well, by contradiction, suppose that n+1does not equal n. Then by the definition of a natural number, n+1would not be a natural number. This means that the set {n | n = 1 or n in \mathbb{N} and n + 1 in \mathbb{N} } would not be inductive, which is a contradiction. Therefore, n+1 is a natural number, and so it follows that n-1 is also a natural number.
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

Prove that if n is a natural number greater than 1, then n-1 is also a natural number. (Hint: Prove that the set {n | n = 1 or n in [itex] \mathbb{N} [/itex] and n - 1 in [itex] \mathbb{N} [/itex]} is inductive.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] S(n) = \sum_{j = 2}^{n} j = 2 + 3 + \cdots + n = \dfrac{(n-1)(n+2)}{2} [/itex]

Checking the induction hypothesis, S(2) = 2 = (1)(4)/(2) = 2. True.

Suppose the statement [itex] P(k): 2 + 3 + \cdots + k = \dfrac{(k-1)(k+2)}{2} [/itex] is true. Then let P(k-1) be the statement:

[itex] 2 + 3 + \cdots + (k - 1) [/itex]

We want to show that this equals [itex] \dfrac{(k-2)(k+1)}{2} [/itex].

[itex] 2 + 3 + \cdots + (k - 1) = (2 + 3 + \cdots + k) - 1 = \dfrac{(k-1)(k+2)}{2} - 1
= \dfrac{k^2 + k - 2 - 2}{2} = \dfrac{k^2 +k -4}{2}.
[/itex]I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this, but I'm feeling quite lost at this point. I'm self studying using "Advanced Calculus by Fitzpatrick," and my university does not have upper division math tutoring over the summer. I greatly appreciate any points in the right direction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mliuzzolino said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if n is a natural number greater than 1, then n-1 is also a natural number. (Hint: Prove that the set {n | n = 1 or n in [itex] \mathbb{N} [/itex] and n - 1 in [itex] \mathbb{N} [/itex]} is inductive.)
Forget what you were doing.

After 1, what's the next greatest natural number? Is that number minus 1 a natural number? Establish that it is true for the trivial case before you attempt induction.

Mandelbroth said:
Forget what you were doing.

After 1, what's the next greatest natural number? Is that number minus 1 a natural number? Establish that it is true for the trivial case before you attempt induction.

Would it be...

[itex] S(n) = \sum_{j = 2}^{n} j - 1 = 1 + 2 + \cdots + (n - 1) = \dfrac{n(n - 1)}{2} [/itex]

[itex] S(2) = (2 - 1) = 1 = \dfrac{2(2-1)}{2} = 1 [/itex]

?

mliuzzolino said:
Would it be...

[itex] S(n) = \sum_{j = 2}^{n} j - 1 = 1 + 2 + \cdots + (n - 1) = \dfrac{n(n - 1)}{2} [/itex]

[itex] S(2) = (2 - 1) = 1 = \dfrac{2(2-1)}{2} = 1 [/itex]

?

No. No sums. Forget what you were thinking. I don't know where you're going with it, but it's not correct.

What is the NEXT natural number after 1?

Ok. I see where I'm going wrong with this idiotic summation stuff. I don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited:
mliuzzolino said:
Ok. I see where I'm going wrong with this idiotic summation stuff. I don't know what I was thinking.
It's okay. I do stupid math things all the time. In fact, I literally just tried to say that a Cauchy sequence does not necessarily converge to a constant when considering a discrete metric, which is obviously wrong. I make mistakes all the time.

2 is the next natural number, correct? And, as we know, 2-1=1, which is a natural number. Next, we prove the n+1 case (the inductive step).

Here's the set up:

$$(n+1)-1=n\stackrel{?}{\in}\mathbb{N}.$$

How might we prove this?

Related to Real Analysis - Natural Number Induction

What is natural number induction?

Natural number induction is a mathematical principle that is used to prove statements about natural numbers. It states that if a statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1) and if it is also true for the successor of any natural number, then it is true for all natural numbers.

What is the difference between mathematical induction and strong induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique that uses the principle of natural number induction to prove statements about natural numbers. Strong induction, on the other hand, is a variation of mathematical induction where the statement is proven for all natural numbers less than or equal to a given number, rather than just the successor of a natural number.

How is natural number induction used in real analysis?

Natural number induction is used in real analysis to prove statements about sequences and series of real numbers. It is also used to prove the existence of real numbers and to establish properties of real numbers such as the least upper bound property.

What is the role of the well-ordering principle in natural number induction?

The well-ordering principle is a fundamental property of the natural numbers that states that every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least element. This principle is essential in natural number induction as it allows us to prove statements for all natural numbers by starting with a base case and then using the successor property to extend the proof to all natural numbers.

Can natural number induction be applied to other sets besides the natural numbers?

Yes, induction can be applied to other sets as well, as long as they follow the same principles as the natural numbers. This includes sets such as the integers, rational numbers, and even some infinite sets. However, the base case and the successor property may differ depending on the set being considered.