Real Analysis Mean Value Theorem Proof

In summary: Let's assume to the contrary that there IS a point, x, where |f(x)|>M*|x|. Then the MVT tells us that for the interval [0,x], there is a point c where the slope at c is equal to f(x)/x, but that is greater than M in absolute value terms, contradicting the assumption that |df/dx|< M. Similarly, if the point x were negative, I could make the same argument on the interval [x,0].
NullSpace0

Homework Statement

Let f: R->R be a function which satisfied f(0)=0 and |df/dx|≤ M. Prove that |f(x)|≤ M*|x|.

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem says that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is a point c such that f'(c)=[f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the derivative of f be between -M and M, and f(0)=0. For any point, p, I know that [f(p)-f(0)]/(p-0)= f(p)/p ≤ |M|.

But I don't know where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
NullSpace0 said:

Homework Statement

Let f: R->R be a function which satisfied f(0)=0 and |df/dx|≤ M. Prove that |f(x)|≤ M*|x|.

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem says that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is a point c such that f'(c)=[f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the derivative of f be between -M and M, and f(0)=0. For any point, p, I know that [f(p)-f(0)]/(p-0)= f(p)/p ≤ |M|.

Be careful with your absolute values. In fact, for any [itex]p \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], you know the following:
[tex]\left|\frac{f(p) - f(0)}{p - 0}\right| = \left| \frac{f(p)}{p} \right| \leq M[/tex]
However, you need to fill in the details to explain exactly how you are applying the MVT to deduce this inequality. This is the main part of the proof. Then, to finish the proof, all you have to do is recognize that
[tex]\left| \frac{f(p)}{p} \right| = \frac{|f(p)|}{|p|}[/tex]
and you're done.

To apply the MVT, I suggest considering two cases: [itex]p > 0[/itex] and [itex]p < 0[/itex]. (The [itex]p = 0[/itex] case is obviously true without having to use the MVT.)

For the first case, consider the interval [itex][0,p][/itex], and for the second case, consider [itex][p,0][/itex].

Well the MVT says that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is a point c is f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a).

Let's look at the interval [0,p] for a positive p. Since we're assuming f to be differentiable on the open region of this, we know there is some point such that f'(c)=f(p)/p, as said before. This slope, but assumption, can be no larger than M. So |f(p)/p| is less than or equal to M. This means that |f(p)|/|p| is less than or equal to M. Thus, |f(p)| is less than or equal to M*|p|... switch p to x, and I proved what was required.

If we assume p to be negative, then look at [p,0]. Now by the MVT, we know there is some c such that f'(c)=(f(0)-f(p))/(0-p)= -f(p)/p. This must be less than or equal to M. So |f(p)/p|=|f(p)|/|p| is less than or equal to M as above.

How do I get from that particular point c to a property that holds for the entire interval?

Maybe try an indirect argument -- what if there is a point p with |f(p)|>M|p|?

Aha! Let's assume to the contrary that there IS a point, x, where |f(x)|>M*|x|. Then the MVT tells us that for the interval [0,x], there is a point c where the slope at c is equal to f(x)/x, but that is greater than M in absolute value terms, contradicting the assumption that |df/dx|< M. Similarly, if the point x were negative, I could make the same argument on the interval [x,0].

Does that work?

NullSpace0 said:
Aha! Let's assume to the contrary that there IS a point, x, where |f(x)|>M*|x|. Then the MVT tells us that for the interval [0,x], there is a point c where the slope at c is equal to f(x)/x, but that is greater than M in absolute value terms, contradicting the assumption that |df/dx|< M. Similarly, if the point x were negative, I could make the same argument on the interval [x,0].

Does that work?

That's the idea I was thinking. The details are yours...:smile:

NullSpace0 said:
Well the MVT says that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there is a point c is f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a).

Let's look at the interval [0,p] for a positive p. Since we're assuming f to be differentiable on the open region of this, we know there is some point such that f'(c)=f(p)/p, as said before. This slope, but assumption, can be no larger than M. So |f(p)/p| is less than or equal to M. This means that |f(p)|/|p| is less than or equal to M. Thus, |f(p)| is less than or equal to M*|p|... switch p to x, and I proved what was required.

If we assume p to be negative, then look at [p,0]. Now by the MVT, we know there is some c such that f'(c)=(f(0)-f(p))/(0-p)= -f(p)/p. This must be less than or equal to M. So |f(p)/p|=|f(p)|/|p| is less than or equal to M as above.

How do I get from that particular point c to a property that holds for the entire interval?
Exactly as you did above. What makes you think there's anything wrong with your proof? It looks fine to me. You might clean it up a bit by referring directly to x instead of p, such as the following:

If [itex]x > 0[/itex], then we may apply the MVT to the interval [itex][0,x][/itex]. This tells us that there is some point [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]0 < c < x[/itex] and
[tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x - 0} = \frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]\left|\frac{f(x)}{x}\right| = |f'(c)| \leq M[/tex]
so
[tex]|f(x)| \leq M |x|[/tex]
Note that the choice of [itex]c[/itex] depends on [itex]x[/itex], but all that matters is that for any [itex]x[/itex], we can find a [itex]c[/itex] that works.

The proof is similar if [itex]x < 0[/itex]. Finally, if [itex]x = 0[/itex] then clearly [itex]0 = |f(x)| \leq M |x| = 0[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Real Analysis Mean Value Theorem Proof

What is the Mean Value Theorem in Real Analysis?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem in Real Analysis?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of functions on closed intervals. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a function without having to know its exact values at every point within the interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in proofs?

The Mean Value Theorem is often used as a crucial step in proofs involving the existence of solutions to equations, the behavior of functions, and the convergence of sequences and series. It is also used to prove other important theorems, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The Mean Value Theorem requires three conditions to hold: 1) the function must be continuous on a closed interval, 2) the function must be differentiable on the open interval, and 3) the function must have the same values at the endpoints of the interval.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Mean Value Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions in multivariable calculus. The multivariable Mean Value Theorem states that for a differentiable function on a closed and connected set, there exists a point within the set where the gradient of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function in that direction.