Real Analysis: Interior, Closure and Boundary

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the equivalence of three statements: (i) W is relatively closed in S, (ii) W = \bar{W}\cap S, and (iii) (\partial W)\cap S \subset W. The conversation also mentions using definitions of open and closed sets, as well as the complement of an open set being closed. The conversation asks for help in proving the implications (i) implies (iii) and (iii) implies (ii), and suggests trying the direction (i) => (ii) => (iii) => (i) instead. The conversation also mentions using the relation \overline{W} = W^\circ \cup \partial W.
michael.wes
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let [tex] W\subset S \subset \mathbb{R}^n.[/tex] Show that the following are equivalent: (i) [tex]W[/tex] is relatively closed in [tex]S[/tex], (ii) [tex]W = \bar{W}\cap S[/tex] and (iii) [tex](\partial W)\cap S \subset W[/tex].

Homework Equations

The only thing we have to work with is the definitions of open and closed sets, relatively open and relatively closed sets, the result that the complement of an open set is closed, the definition of boundary, interior and closure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved that (ii) implies (i). I need help with (i) implies (iii) and (iii) implies (ii).

For (i) implies (iii), there exists a closed set [tex]C[/tex] such that [tex]W=C\cap S[/tex]. Now try to derive that [tex]\partial W \cap S \subset W[/tex]. Write [tex]\partial(C\cap S)\cap S[/tex], but after this all I am able to do is draw a diagram and get stuck.

For (iii) implies (ii), we have that [tex]\partial W \cap S \subset W[/tex] and we need to derive [tex]W = (W\cup\partial W) \cap S[/tex], but I can't get started.

Please help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the direction (i) => (ii) => (iii) => (i) instead. You will need the relation [tex]\overline{W} = W^\circ \cup \partial W[/tex].

Related to Real Analysis: Interior, Closure and Boundary

1. What is the definition of the interior of a set in real analysis?

The interior of a set A in real analysis is denoted as int(A) and is defined as the set of all points that are contained within A without being on the boundary of A. In other words, it is the largest open set contained in A.

2. How is the interior of a set different from the closure of a set?

The interior of a set is concerned with the points contained within the set, while the closure of a set is concerned with the points on the boundary of the set. The closure of a set is denoted as cl(A) and is defined as the union of A and its boundary.

3. Can a set have an empty interior?

Yes, a set can have an empty interior. This means that there are no points contained within the set that are not on its boundary. A common example is a closed interval on the real number line, where the interior is always empty.

4. How is the boundary of a set defined in real analysis?

The boundary of a set A is denoted as ∂A and is defined as the set of all points that are neither in the interior nor in the exterior of A. In other words, it is the set of points that are on the edge or boundary of A.

5. Can the interior, closure, and boundary of a set be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the interior, closure, and boundary of a set to be equal. This can happen when the set is both open and closed, meaning that it contains all of its limit points. A common example is the set of all real numbers, which has an empty interior, a boundary that is equal to the set itself, and a closure that is the same as the set.