Reaction to COVID-19 Vaccine (or what to be prepared for)

In summary, after receiving the second dose of the Moderna vaccine, the person had minor symptoms such as soreness in the arm, feeling sleepy, and a slight fever. They also experienced fatigue, brain fog, and a low appetite. These symptoms lasted for about a day and gradually improved over the course of a month. The person's wife and neighbor also received the vaccine, with milder reactions. The person stated that their immune system responded strongly to the vaccine, showing that it recognizes the spike protein of SARS-COV-2. They also emphasized that despite the side effects, they would still prefer the vaccine over getting the actual virus. After receiving a booster shot, the person experienced even milder symptoms compared to the second dose.
Rough as hell. Off work. Banging head aching all over. Just the Covid jab. I can read and type though.
Water paracetamol bed.

Biology news on Phys.org
3x Pfizer. No side effects aside from mild soreness on injection side (what do you expect from having a needle inserted into a muscle?) which subsided around 30 hours later. Went about my day just as if nothing had happened.

Mayhem said:
(what do you expect from having a needle inserted into a muscle?)
It is my understanding that the muscle soreness is in fact a primary part of the immune response. (I mention this as more of a question than a statement of fact )... ?

hutchphd said:
It is my understanding that the muscle soreness is in fact a primary part of the immune response. (I mention this as more of a question than a statement of fact )... ?
That's my understanding, it is more than just damaged muscle and nerve endings, it is an actual immune response. That is where the antigen is.
Being vaccinated and having Covid feel very similar (for me) Pretty sure @atyy explained this last year.
Banging head, aching limbs, fever are immune response rather than the disease.
Quick onset.
What happens after that depends on your immune system and whether it was prepared or not. If not, the virus will do damage before the immune system gets going.
In that case any significant viral stimulation of the immune system will produce similar results?

Likes DrJohn and hutchphd
pinball1970 said:
Rough as hell. Off work. Banging head aching all over. Just the Covid jab. I can read and type though.
Water paracetamol bed.
Bivalent vaccine? Pfizer or Moderna?

Astronuc said:
Bivalent vaccine? Pfizer or Moderna?
Spikevax Bivalent Original / Omicron.

pinball1970 said:
I found this "Spikevax (previously COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna)"
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/spikevax
elasomeran/imelasomeran and elasomeran

Spikevax contains elasomeran, a molecule called messenger RNA (mRNA) with instructions for producing a protein from the original strain of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Spikevax is also available as an adapted vaccine called Spikevax bivalent Original/Omicron BA.1 which contains elasomeran and an additional mRNA molecule, imelasomeran, with instructions for producing a protein from the Omicron BA.1 subvariant of SARS-CoV-2.

So Spikevax(R) is Modern's bivalent vaccine.
https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/spikevax
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepa...sease-2019-covid-19/moderna-covid-19-vaccines

This is a multidose vial that contains 10 doses of 0.5 mL each or a maximum of 20 doses of 0.25mL each.

One dose (0.5 mL) contains 100 micrograms of elasomeran, a COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine (embedded in SM-102 lipid nanoparticles).

One dose (0.25 mL) contains 50 micrograms of of elasomeran, a COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine (embedded in SM-102 lipid nanoparticles).

Elasomeran is a single-stranded, 5’-capped messenger RNA (mRNA) produced using a cell-free in vitro transcription from the corresponding DNA templates, encoding the viral spike (S) protein of SARS-CoV-2.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...are-professionals-on-covid-19-vaccine-moderna

No wonder the strong reaction.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
I got mine an hour ago.

PeroK said:
I got mine an hour ago.
Same one? Have paracetamol and water at hand. I had jab at 1 pm went to bed early and symptoms probably peaked @3am.
Urine is still dark even though I have been drinking water all day. Must have dehydrated a lot in the night.

pinball1970 said:
Same one?
Yes.

Likes pinball1970
I have mine scheduled for later today. Pfizer. Don't expect much of a reaction. Never had one with previous doses, and my wife has already gotten hers with little reaction. Going by experience, she always has a stronger reaction to vaccines than I do ( When she got her 2nd shingles shot, it laid her out the next day. When I got mine, my worst reaction was a reddening of skin in a patch around the injection shot.)

Likes pinball1970
Janus said:
I have mine scheduled for later today.
I've learned something today. Even a Roman god needs a COVID vaccination!

• Haha
Likes bhobba and pinball1970
bhobba said:
Here in Aus, because we are entering the summer months, it has been decided to initially limit it to people who have not got the 4th booster yet. While not decided yet, it is thought that everyone will get it about March/April next year when we are due for our flu shot. The combined Covid/Flu vaccine may be available then.

For the full picture of what is happening in Australia:
https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/case-numbers-and-statistics

Interestingly, Australia's seven-day average death rate is now just four and declining. Combine this with the fact that only 4% of those that die have had the 4th dose, and it is easily seen that your risk of death, while now low, is very low if you have had the 4th dose. Again - please, please get the 4th dose. As only 30% of people in Aus (about 40% of those eligible ie over 30) have had the 4th dose, the protection would be about 86% less likely to die. Remember, this is Australia - I have read in other countries, it can be a bit different - eg in Isreal, it is 78%. I believe everyone should get the fourth dose, just a personal opinion. The consensus in Aus is if you are under 30, your chance of dying is very small anyway. I believe it has been established, at least on the Gold Coast near where I live, that 90% of people with Covid do not even know it and carry on with life as usual. Anything we can do to reduce the length of time you are infectious will help. It is not just the death rate that is a concern - so is long Covid.

Thanks
Bill
It seems strange to be offering the 4th Booster now when the current Covid 19 wave is ending, March / April seems far more sensible. The maximum level of protection still appears to be quite short lived, certainly antibody levels start to fall, around 15 weeks following the injection, surprisingly they appear to fall more slowly in the elderly.
Its worth remembering that we are only starting to see publication of research on the effectiveness of the 3rd dose and there is still debate on the balance of risks with a 4th dose in young healthy individuals. We still lack any real data on the effectiveness of the bivalent vaccines, support is largely theory based. For some reason most of the research still focusses on antibody responses despite knowing that the Omicron variants are antibody avoidant. While a lot of the information these studies give us is pretty useless, it is easy to collect and it gets published. :). The current recommendation in the UK is for Older and at risk populations to be offered a 4th dose and there appears to be rather less effort put into convincing people to have it. Its being offered now as we are just starting to see some increases in infections which may indicate the start of a new wave. Of course I fall into the Older at risk group, which is tragic in a different way, so will be getting the booster. :)
These links are interesting and you can sign up for a free account, if you need to.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)01971-7/fulltext
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00141-4/fulltext

Likes pinball1970 and bhobba
Laroxe said:
It seems strange to be offering the 4th Booster now when the current Covid 19 wave is ending, March / April seems far more sensible.

They have the doses so I guess the thinking is just to leave the current rules in place until March/April. And yes I have read the fourth dose benefits may be short-lived.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Laroxe
Laroxe said:
It seems strange to be offering the 4th Booster now when the current Covid 19 wave is ending, March / April seems far more sensible. The maximum level of protection still appears to be quite short lived, certainly antibody levels start to fall, around 15 weeks following the injection, surprisingly they appear to fall more slowly in the elderly.
Its worth remembering that we are only starting to see publication of research on the effectiveness of the 3rd dose and there is still debate on the balance of risks with a 4th dose in young healthy individuals.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)01971-7/fulltext
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00141-4/fulltext
Are we (UK) not now officially in Flu season or was that more for Oz/Bill?

I checked on line for vaccine availability and some of the questions were wishy washy completing the application.
"Do you think you could be high risk?" For instance. Technically no, I am not really overweight, 55 but with asthma requiring steroids, so I put yes.
The other options were, I am high risk, I am not high risk.

My motivation was that I got Covid around this time last year. Whatever happened with the weather / people's habits at that time last year will be here this time. Probably worse as people have Covid fatigue/covid amnesia or just think it is done.

I will get my flu jab next week hopefully. I will read your links. Thanks

Likes atyy and PeroK
PeroK said:
I got mine an hour ago.
Any symptoms?

pinball1970 said:
Any symptoms?
Not really. Sore arm and a bit tired, perhaps.

PeroK said:
Not really. Sore arm and a bit tired, perhaps.
That's good. I still feel groggy but I will go for a walk later. This amount of time in bed can put one out of sorts.

PeroK said:
I've learned something today. Even a Roman god needs a COVID vaccination!
Well, because some of us can't seem to keep from commingling with mortals, one does have to take precautions.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, bhobba, Tom.G and 2 others
That comingling stuff seldom ends well as I recall, vaccine or not.

Oh man, this thread reminds me of when my friend got a bloodclot in his leg after getting the vaccine. He has auto-immune issues so it was assumed to be a product of that and the vaccine. I had just received my second shot. I don't have auto immune disorders but having it happen to someone close to me made me worry about it for a couple days, despite knowing logically that it was with vanishing probability it would happen to me.

Pythagorean said:
I don't have auto immune disorders but having it happen to someone close to me made me worry about it for a couple days, despite knowing logically that it was with vanishing probability it would happen to me.

This pandemic has generally reinforced my view that people have difficulty dealing objectively with risk. Here in Aus, people were going wild about the 1 in a million chance of dying from blood clots from the AZ vaccine. Yet, just getting out of bed once in the morning to get on with your life carries a 2.5 in a million risk of dying. It has now been reported, if I remember correctly, there is an 80% increase in heart issues with mRNA vaccines and the young. This has, understandably, concerned many. But again, when balancing risk vs reward, things are somewhat different:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...covid-far-outweigh-the-risks-of-myocarditis1/

I think it is simply part of human nature, and I am not sure what to do about it. Just off the top of my head, critical and statistical thinking as part of the school curriculum? Just an idea for discussion.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
It has now been reported, if I remember correctly, there is an 80% increase in heart issues with mRNA vaccines and the young. This has, understandably, concerned many. But again, when balancing risk vs reward, things are somewhat different:
WHAT Heart Issues? Too muddy the terminology so not know what that means.

Anyone who's become sick with influenza after one or two seasons not being vaccinated will learn that being vaccinated and reducing the risk of illness is far better than being infected with the disease. For my point of view, treat COVID19 the same way: Take vaccination and avoid a possibly worse illness than influenza.

Likes Astronuc and bhobba
symbolipoint said:
WHAT Heart Issues? Too muddy the terminology so not know what that means.

To be specific, myocarditis or pericarditis predominantly in the young:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00842-X/fulltext

As you correctly point out, the risk vs reward is firmly in favour of getting vaccinated. That's the whole issue - yes, there is danger - but it must be balanced with reward.

Regarding the flu vaccine, the most famous incident was in 1976:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/long-shadow-1976-swine-flu-vaccine-fiasco-180961994/

While quite unpleasant and can hang around for several years, Guillain-Barre syndrome nearly always resolves itself. In the USA only 450 got it, and of those, nearly all would have recovered. Even in that famous vaccine case, the odds were well in favour of vaccination - in the USA, 12,000 – 52,000 die of the flu each year. Flu vaccination, if you do get it (it reduces your chance of being infected) reduces your chance of dying by 50%.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
BTW. As expected, I had no reaction. Soreness at the site for the rest of the day, but I think that was more due to inexperience on the the part of the person giving me the shot. I definitely felt it going in, and I usually barely notice.
He also told me that I had to wait 15 min after the shot(which they hadn't had my wife do.) While I was waiting, I heard him tell someone else that, and a supervisor stepped into correct him that this was only for people getting their first shot, not boosters. This led me to the conclusion that he was new to this.

That being said, I will give him props for recognizing the SISU on my cap for what it was.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and bhobba
Slightly sore arm at injection point, and the world's tiniest headache from the first jab - I told the nurse not to list the headache and mentioned the nocebo effect. She smiled at that (knowledgable lady) and didn't enter it as a reported side effect. Headache lasted less than an hour (I had to keep checking to detect it, it was that weak), slightly sore arm lasted about two days. Tomorrow I get my fourth jab. I normally get a slightly sore arm from flu injections too. Tommorrow, I might report anything different about how I feel.Now I personally object to huge lists of side effects that include those one person in 100,000 or even 1,000,000 will get. (You see these listed on every medication in the UK. Because if you tell someone about a side effect, no matter how trivial, they will watch for that effect - that's how I noticed my tiniest of tiny headaches, that lasted for less than an hour at the most. If you tell someone a side effect is a sore elbow on the arm not injected and someone bumps that elbow on the bedroom door and wakes up the next day with a sore elbow, they will report it as a side effect.

I remember the scares about how x people have died within seven days of having the jab (this was reported by government and in facebook posts, and we all know how reliable facebook is)! So I looked up the death rates as reported over several previous years, to get the weekly numbers you'd expect to die in any week at that various times of year. Guess what - less people died among the reported number jabbed in these weeks than normally died among that sample size in an average week / year. I checked multiple weeks, same result. I checked for outlier years, but even taking the worst year, it was still true! So Covid-19 vaccines obviously must be preventing normal death. Lengthening your life, even if Covid didn't exist! Now that was personal research into 35,000,000 "participants", a large sample in anyone's view. So I must be correct. Think I should publish this?

There have been many investigations into the nocebo effect, where people are given a drink or jab that is actually pure water, then told the side effects to watch for. Many report the side effects they have just been told about, even if it is just invented for the experiment. The BBC did a program about three years ago, I think, where they told a group of about 30 - 35 people they would be drinking water with a higher dose of Vitamin C than in normal drinks, and side effect symptoms to watch out for from vitamin C. Totally made up symptoms, or we'd all get them from eating apples and oranges. About half reported some symptoms. But some reported having several of the worst symptoms (four or five people, if I remember correctly) and had to withrawn from the experiment by about day three as they were feeling so very ill! From drinking water.
(A bit like a woman in a shop last week who, when chatting to the till operator said she couldn't drink water without feeling sick, but she could drink beer and lemonade and milk - even though I gave her strong hints about how much water was in milk, beer, etc, she was adamant water that made her sick.)

It's the same with suger or e-numbers making children hyperactive. One investigation took groups of parents and their child. The parents watched through a one-way mirror and accessed if their child, after drinking what turned out to be just water, became hyperactive. Those who were told it was laced with lots of sugar or e-numbers often reported hyperactivity. While those told their child was drinking water reported no hyperactivity in their child, but said "just look at the other lot's kids, bouncing off the walls"!

Likes bhobba
Influenza and Covid vaccine today.
First time, I did not think to ask this time as I am not great with injections but I was given no literature.
2022 was bivalent Covid and Quadrivalent Influenza A.

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
Must add that nurses are great. While I was explaining that am not good with needles she just shushed me up, ordered me to sit and relax. Said she would not hurt me and she would count to three, she lied, she got to two.
She also shouted at me for tensing! DROP your shoulder!! Perhaps it's just Manc nurses?
She smiled the whole time.
Ultimate respect, they see the absolute worst that can happen to a person, modest salary, then go home and ask their partners how their day has been.

I'd had a standard under-the-weather bug from the temperature bouncing up and down so much, lately. My standard response is to bundle up in socks/sweats/scarf for a couple of days while consuming vast quantities of NeoCitran and chicken soup, and binging whatever on the tube.

I thought I was over it and took a flu shot in one arm and the latest Covid in the other.

Knocked me right out for the weekend.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
hmmm27 said:
Knocked me right out for the weekend.
They vaxxed you even though you were under the weather? Or did you check the wrong box on the survey form while in line for the vax? :wink:

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Going in for the flu shot today, but will need to postpone the booster, as I finally got Covid about 3 weeks ago.

• Sad
Likes Klystron
Beware the long Covid. Friends who are still affected. I have avoided infection (so far).

Likes Klystron, symbolipoint and Astronuc
I had posted about getting vaccines for Covid (SARS-Cov-2), RSV and Influenza.

Only a bit of soreness at the injection site of one (don't remember which one, but it might have been RSV adjacent to Covid in my left deltoid). I lifted weights before and after. I didn't feel any effects, e.g., fatigue or other noteworthy reaction.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...9-version-ba-2-ba-4-ba-5.1012505/post-6938939

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...9-version-ba-2-ba-4-ba-5.1012505/post-6939180

Lots of folks around us have developed Covid following group gatherings, some for a second time. It's still going around, and some folks, usually older are being hospitalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
I'm really on the fence. I had a Gillain-Barre variant six years ago (perhaps flu-vaccine related) so I am a little bit vaccine averse. Also I do believe that the degree to which the mRNA vaccinations were ineffective in control of transmission itself was willfully underemphasized in the original publicity from CDC and pharma. That being said, the mRNA vaccine saved many many lives and was a triumph. I think I will likely not reboost......already I have eschewed influenza vaccine since (because of) my bad autoimmune response (life is better with myelin!!).

Likes Laroxe
Astronuc said:
I had posted about getting vaccines for Covid (SARS-Cov-2), RSV and Influenza.

Only a bit of soreness at the injection site of one (don't remember which one, but it might have been RSV adjacent to Covid in my left deltoid). I lifted weights before and after. I didn't feel any effects, e.g., fatigue or other noteworthy reaction.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...9-version-ba-2-ba-4-ba-5.1012505/post-6938939

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...9-version-ba-2-ba-4-ba-5.1012505/post-6939180

Lots of folks around us have developed Covid following group gatherings, some for a second time. It's still going around, and some folks, usually older are being hospitalized.
I'm still in bed from 9pm Wed. I think I was the same last year.