Reaction Coefficient: 2IO3-+wH2O2+xH+=>I2+yO2+zH2O - Answers Explained

In summary, the conversation discussed balancing a chemical equation with the reaction coefficients y and z. The first step is to balance the charges on both sides of the equation, followed by balancing the atoms. The half reaction for IO3- was discussed as well as the use of acidic conditions to make the balancing process easier. The correct answer for y and z is 6 and 5, respectively.
ChloeYip
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
Consider the following chemical equation:
  • 2IO3-+wH2O2+xH+=>I2+yO2+zH2O
Which of the following is the correct combination of the reaction coefficient y and z?
  • A) 4&5
  • B) 5&4
  • C) 5&6
  • D) 6&5
How to obtain the answer? Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to balance the reaction equation.

I know. I have tried simutaneous equation already, but i failed to do so.
Can you give me more concrete steps?
Thank you.

Simultaneous equations have problems with every system where hydrogen peroxide is being oxidized.

Hint: H2O2 → 2H+ + 2e- + O2

A very easy example :oldtongue: , should hit in eye that total electric charges left have to equal those right (charges somehow make things more obvious although the principle is not really different from anything without charges).

i still don't understand...
how to solve with 4 variables...
i have tried to solve by charges and atoms, but have no ideas to get the answer
thanks

I don't know what you have done. Simply, what is the total charge on the right, what is it on the left?

I'll modify that. I'll say that the first step, not yet taken, doesn't come easier.

After that I see a difficulty. The answers you have given to choose from all seem wrong to me

Ah on third thoughts I see it. This is really tricky and seems to be a test of chemical knowledge, not just stoichiometric balancing. Leads to something advanced and specialized.

But you haven't taken the first step. Do that and get a reasonable answer without worrying whether it fits the question options, then we can talk..

to deal with the charge,
x should be 2
but the question is asking about y and z, it seems no use to find out x...
how they can be work out?
thanks

Can you write reduction half reaction for IO3-?

ChloeYip said:
to deal with the charge,
x should be 2
but the question is asking about y and z, it seems no use to find out x...
how they can be work out?
thanks
That's half the first step, can you complete it and write a reasonable reaction balance that makes sense? Never mind the question options, see what I said about them.

Come on, both of you, why do ignore the simplest approach - I gave two hints, follow them an you will get the correct answer in almost no time.

i am not sure how to write the half equation...
is it like this?(just an attempt…):
2IO3-=>I2+(1/2)O2

what is the use for writting half equation?
what is the next step?
thanks~

ah..
just forget to balance the charge with electron

correction:
2IO3-=>I2+(1/2)O2+6e-

i really still don't have any idea on how to deal with it...

Last edited:
ChloeYip said:
ah..
just forget to balance the charge with electron

correction:
2IO3-=>I2+(1/2)O2+6e-

Still needs correction - misled by way you have written maybe: there are not 6 e- in 2IO3-. And where have five O gone?

(Where has Chloe Yip gone?)

Related to Reaction Coefficient: 2IO3-+wH2O2+xH+=>I2+yO2+zH2O - Answers Explained

1. What is the purpose of a reaction coefficient?

The reaction coefficient is a number that represents the relative amount of a substance involved in a chemical reaction. It is used to balance the equation and determine the stoichiometry of the reaction.

2. How do you determine the reaction coefficients in a chemical equation?

Reaction coefficients can be determined by using the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. The coefficients are adjusted to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation.

3. What does the reaction coefficient of 2IO3- mean in the given equation?

The reaction coefficient of 2IO3- means that two molecules of IO3- are involved in the reaction and will produce two molecules of I2. This helps to balance the equation and determine the correct ratio of reactants and products.

4. How do the coefficients of H2O2 and H+ affect the reaction?

The coefficients of H2O2 and H+ determine the amount of these substances needed for the reaction to occur. If the coefficients are too low, the reaction may not proceed as desired. If they are too high, there may be excess reactants that will not be used up in the reaction.

5. Can reaction coefficients change during a reaction?

Yes, reaction coefficients can change during a reaction. This can happen if one of the reactants or products is a gas and escapes from the reaction mixture, or if the reaction conditions (such as temperature or pressure) change. However, the coefficients will always be adjusted to maintain the same ratio of atoms on both sides of the equation.