Re-evaluating Dark Matter and Kepler's Law in Spiral Galaxies

In summary: The second paper (Radial Acceleration Relation in Rotationally Supported Galaxies) does have a more detailed discussion about how the rotation might get weaker with distance from the center. It may be that the rotation is not flat but instead has a curvature like the surface of the Earth. This curvature would slow the rotation down as you go away from the center.
Trenton
I keep reading articles that assert that spiral galaxies would fly apart if it were not for the presence of a dark matter halo. The observation that rotational speeds vary little with distance from the center is usually cited as the 'proof' of dark matter since this behavior would otherwise flout Kepler's Law.

But would it? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Kepler's Law assume all the mass is at the center of the system? True enough in the case of a star, nowhere near true in a spiral galaxy. Matter near the center would not have to rotate particularly fast to be in a stable orbit around the center because in addition to its own centrifugal force, it is pulled upon by matter further out. The articles are also rather unclear as to the exact whereabouts of the dark matter. If the dark matter resides mostly in the center then one would expect greater adherence to Kepler. If it were mostly at the edge then the rotational speeds would have to slow with distance in excess of Kepler. And if the distribution was roughly akin to the visible matter it would not make any difference to the speed/distance curve surely?

Can anyone explain this or point out articles that give a more complete analysis of mass distribution and rotation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Whoa! Both very nice documents with a lot to digest, particularly the most recent one. I notice it talks about MOND - a concept I am deeply skeptical of although of course, on galactic scales the expansion of space would begin to creep in as a factor.

Plus the above papers will have to be read in conjunction with other papers on related subjects. In all these dark matter theories, there seems to be profound confidence that we can 'see' all the interstellar gas by looking at the atomic hydrogen lines. I am not sure this confidence is well founded. It would be extremely difficult if not impossible to replicate a reasonable sample of such gas in a laboratory to see if it is as luminous at 21cm as it is presumed. Whilst reasonable calculations can be made about how far photons can penetrate through gas samples we can prepare before being adsorbed and re-emitted, I am not sure how much we know about this might be affected by the proximity of other atoms. Interstellar gas could by much more transparent.

The first paper (eaa-darkmatter-obs.pdf) mentioned 21cm sources beyond where the stars end and said the rotation was flat as far out as the data extended. However it did not say (unless I missed it) - if it got weaker the further out in line with lower levels of light from stars. That there is an end to the region of stars long before there is an end to the region of hydrogen is another mystery in its own right of course.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light or any other form of electromagnetic radiation. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is responsible for the gravitational effects that hold galaxies together.

2. How do we know dark matter exists?

Scientists have observed that the rotation curves of galaxies do not match the predicted velocities based on the amount of visible matter. This suggests that there is additional mass present, which we cannot see, and is known as dark matter. Other evidence, such as gravitational lensing, also supports the existence of dark matter.

3. What is Kepler's Law?

Kepler's Law, also known as Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion, are three scientific principles that describe the motion of planets around the sun. The first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one of the foci. The second law, known as the law of equal areas, states that a planet will sweep out equal areas in equal times as it orbits the sun. The third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis.

4. How does dark matter affect Kepler's Law?

Dark matter does not significantly affect Kepler's Law as it only affects the gravitational pull between objects that have mass. Kepler's Law is still applicable for objects orbiting around a central mass, whether that mass is visible matter or dark matter.

5. Can dark matter be detected?

At this time, dark matter has not been directly detected. However, scientists are working on various methods to try and detect it, such as using large particle accelerators and underground detectors. Other indirect methods, such as studying the effects of dark matter on the cosmic microwave background radiation, are also being used. While there is no conclusive evidence yet, these efforts continue to shed light on the mysterious nature of dark matter.