Rayleigh Criterion related to the eye

In summary, the question asks about the effective diameter of the eye's optical system, using Rayleigh's criterion and assuming a wavelength of 550 nm. The resolving power of the eye is calculated to be 1.67×10−2 degrees. The person asking for help is getting an incorrect answer of 0.0023 mm and is wondering if they need to multiply their result by the diameter of the eye. They are advised to check their units.
wmiddlebrook
I am doing a Mastering Physics problem that I am stumped on. The question is:

"If this resolving power is diffraction-limited, to what effective diameter of your eye's optical system does this correspond? Use Rayleigh's criterion and assume that the wavelength of the light is 550 nm ."

The resolving power of the eye is 1.67×10−2 degrees.

I know that sin(angle)=1.22*(wavelength/diameter) and I keep getting .0023 mm as the answer and getting it wrong.

WITHOUT giving the answer, how do you approach this problem/ what am I doing wrong?

I am thinking that I need to multiply my number by the diameter of the eye to get the length in the eye, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units.

ehild

Related to Rayleigh Criterion related to the eye

1. What is the Rayleigh Criterion and how does it relate to the eye?

The Rayleigh Criterion is a measure of the minimum distance between two objects that can be resolved by the human eye. It is based on the ability of the eye to distinguish two points as separate entities rather than a single blur. The smaller the value of the Rayleigh Criterion, the better the resolution of the eye.

2. How is the Rayleigh Criterion calculated?

The Rayleigh Criterion is calculated by dividing the wavelength of light by the diameter of the pupil. This calculation gives the minimum angle at which two points can be distinguished by the eye. The smaller the angle, the better the resolution of the eye.

3. How does age affect the Rayleigh Criterion and the resolution of the eye?

As we age, the lens of the eye becomes less flexible and can no longer change shape as easily. This results in a decrease in the ability to focus on close objects, which can affect the Rayleigh Criterion. Additionally, the lens may develop cloudiness, known as cataracts, which can further decrease the resolution of the eye.

4. What is the significance of the Rayleigh Criterion in vision correction procedures?

The Rayleigh Criterion is used as a measure of visual acuity in determining the success of vision correction procedures, such as LASIK. By improving the resolution of the eye, these procedures aim to reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses.

5. Can the Rayleigh Criterion be improved?

While the Rayleigh Criterion is determined by the physical characteristics of the eye, it can be improved with the use of corrective lenses or vision correction procedures. Additionally, proper nutrition and eye exercises may also improve the resolution of the eye.