What Is the Smallest Angular Separation the Human Eye Can Resolve?

In summary, the smallest angular separation that can be resolved when two violet objects with a wavelength of 400 nm are placed side by side in an eye with a pupil radius of 3.0 mm is approximately 17/3600 radians or 2 x 10-4 radians. This is based on the formula theta_r = 1.22(wavelength/d), and may be affected by the color sensitivity of human eyes.
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

For an eye in which the pupil has a radius of 3.0 mm, what is the smallest angular separation that can be resolved when two violet (λ = 400 nm) objects are placed side by side?

Homework Equations

theta_r = sin(theta_r) = 1.22(wavelength/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

theta_r = 1.22(400*(.000000001)) / (6*.001) = .0000813

This is incorrect. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says it's not correct ? I get what you get using that formula.

When I Google angular resolution and look at the picture , then violet at 6 mm aperture shows something that looks around 15 arcsec, and sure enough 8.13 x 10-5 * 180/##\pi## = 17/3600 .

My eyes sure don't dissolve two spots on a 10 m far wall that are 0.8 mm apart, but perhaps that isn't the idea anyway...

[edit] another contribution: Hyperphysics mentions 2 x 10-4 radians for "Most acute vision, optimum circumstances" -- within a factor 2 of the physical limits imposed by diffraction.

The only thing I can think of that would spoil the fun is that blue and violet are difficult colours for human eyes, but I don't have anything quantitative on that.

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Smallest Angular Separation the Human Eye Can Resolve?

What is smallest angular separation?

Smallest angular separation, also known as angular resolution, refers to the smallest angle that can be resolved by a given instrument or eye. It is a measure of the ability to distinguish two closely spaced objects in a field of view.

How is smallest angular separation calculated?

The smallest angular separation can be calculated using the formula: α = 1.22 * λ / D, where α is the angular resolution, λ is the wavelength of light, and D is the diameter of the aperture or instrument.

What factors affect smallest angular separation?

The smallest angular separation is affected by the wavelength of light, the diameter of the aperture or instrument, and the quality of the optics. Atmospheric conditions and the observer's visual acuity can also impact the smallest angular separation.

Why is smallest angular separation important in astronomy?

In astronomy, smallest angular separation is important because it determines the level of detail that can be seen in celestial objects. A smaller angular separation allows astronomers to see finer details and resolve closely spaced objects.

How can smallest angular separation be improved?

Smallest angular separation can be improved by using a larger aperture or instrument, using shorter wavelengths of light, and improving the quality of the optics. Observing under optimal atmospheric conditions and using adaptive optics can also improve the smallest angular separation.