Ray Tracing with Diverging and Converging Lenses: A Quick Guide

In summary, you can use lens equation to find the image of the object if it is in front of a converging lens and is not the lens closest to the object.
sltungle
If I have an object and in front of it there's a diverging lens, and in front of that (furthest from the object) there's a converging lens can I just ignore the diverging lens when ray tracing for the image formed by the converging lens?

I figure if I were able to draw an infinite number of rays from the image of the object through the first lens (diverging lens) that at least three of the rays would pass through the three main points for the converging lens (through the centre of the lens, parallel to the optical axis, and through the near focal point). Is this correct? Does this allow me to ignore the first lens?

Physics news on Phys.org
? How easier would it be to understand you with an attached picture...

If I understand correctly, yes, find the image with the lens closest to the object (ignoring the other lens) and then use the image as an object for the second lens, ignoring the first one.

ehild

Yeah, sorry about that. I was trying to explain it without making it overly-complicated. Seems I failed there.

Thanks for the info, though!

Optics (ray-tracing in general) certainly isn't my favourite part of physics. I'm a lot better at relativity and quantum mechanics, but... it's part of the course nevertheless. Not to say optics isn't interesting: it is. I just find it... annoying sometimes.

So you will be able to solve problems with more than one lens?

ehild

Most definitely. Thanks a bunch!

One last question, I believe.

Say I have an object, and in front of it a two lens system (both converging lenses), and the first lens would cause the image of the object to form at infinity: can I just ignore that lens all together and only consider the second lens?

Again, I'm trying to use the reasoning that, if you assume the object reflects an infinite number of light rays (or simply a very high number of them), that, eventually, at least 3 of those light rays will pass through the prime points of lens 2.

Well, you can think that if the first lens produces parallel rays from those arriving from the object, these parallel rays will be collected by the second lens in its focus. But you can also solve this problem formally. Assume an object distance do(1)=x and find the image distance di(1), take the object distance for the second lens as do(2)=D-di(1) (D is the distance between the lenses) and derive the distance of the second image di(2) in terms of x, and then replace x by f1, the focal length of the first lens. Note that in case the object is very near to the focal point of the fist lens, the image is very far, so the object distance for the second lens is negative: it is a virtual object. But this does not matter, apply the lens equation.

If the object is a light source, a candle flame as old books used to show, all its points will radiate in every direction. You always can connect two points (the point of the flame with a special point of the lens) with a straight line.
The situation is similar when the object itself does not radiate light, but randomly reflects (scatters) radiation falling onto it. Or the illumination is random, arriving from every direction, so reflected in every direction too.
The problem is what happens when the object has a smooth and shiny surface which reflects light rays regularly like a mirror, and the illumination is oriented (as an example, illuminating a piece of diamond with a laser beam :wink:) . In this case the object itself belongs to the optical system and you should trace the rays according to the laws of reflection and refraction. Then you can get the image of the light source. Sometimes you get a blurred image either of the object or the source if the object is not a "good imaging system".
I often use a torch to show imaging with a lens to my pupils. When seeing at the lighting torch, it is a round shiny circle, you can not see, what is inside. When I put it in front of lens, I will get a sharp image of the filament or a weak and somewhat blurred one of the reflector behind the filament or an even weaker one of the front glass plate.

ehild

Related to Ray Tracing with Diverging and Converging Lenses: A Quick Guide

1. What is ray tracing?

Ray tracing is a computer graphics technique that simulates the behavior of light as it interacts with objects in a virtual 3D environment. It traces the path of light rays from a virtual camera, through the scene, and calculates how they are reflected, refracted, and absorbed by objects to create realistic images.

2. How does ray tracing differ from other rendering techniques?

Ray tracing differs from other rendering techniques, such as rasterization, by simulating the physical properties of light more accurately. It takes into account factors like reflection, refraction, and shadows, which results in more realistic and visually appealing images.

3. What are the benefits of using ray tracing?

There are several benefits of using ray tracing, including more realistic lighting and shadows, accurate reflections and refractions, and the ability to create highly detailed and lifelike images. It also allows for greater creative control over the final image, as well as faster and more efficient rendering.

4. What are the limitations of ray tracing?

One of the main limitations of ray tracing is that it is a computationally intensive process, requiring a lot of processing power and time to create high-quality images. It also struggles with rendering certain effects, such as motion blur and hair, and can be challenging to implement in real-time applications.

5. How is ray tracing used in different industries?

Ray tracing is used in various industries, including film and animation, video games, architecture, and product design. It is especially popular in industries where highly realistic and detailed images are necessary, such as in special effects for movies or creating virtual prototypes for design projects.