Ray Tracing and Combination of Lenses

In summary: Here's a summary of the conversation:In summary, the problem does not specify the location of the focal point of the divergent lens. The answer is b, but if the focal point is very close to the lens, the rays will diverge and prevent focusing. The position of the image depends on the focal distances and the distance between the lenses. The conversation also discusses the possibility of the image moving farther away. The expression for the position of the image can be derived if given f1, f2, and D.
alingy1
I was looking at this problem.
Does the problem assume that the focal point of the divergent lens is right next to it?
The answer is c, saying that the focus point will be further away: but that assumes that the focal point is not RIGHT NEXT to the divergent lens. If it were RIGHT NEXT (VERY CLOSE), the rays would diverge in the end rather than converge further down the road and this would prevent focusing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 10.03.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 10.03.04 PM.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I was looking at this problem.
Does the problem assume that the focal point of the divergent lens is right next to it?
The answer is c, saying that the focus point will be further away: but that assumes that the focal point is not RIGHT NEXT to the divergent lens. If it were RIGHT NEXT (VERY CLOSE), the rays would diverge in the end rather than converge further down the road and this would prevent focusing.

No, nothing is said about the location of the focal point of the divergent lens. You are right; the question is ambiguous.
ehild

Last edited:
My mistake. The answer is b!
ehild, what I want to make sure is the following: what happens if the second lens, along with its focal point is much further away from the first lens. That is what I was saying with "the focal point of the divergent lens being right next to the divergent lens". What would seem to happen is that rays going through would diverge above and below by larger angles and prevent focusing. Am I not right?

Otherwise I pretty much get the problem.

The violet line represents what would happen to the rays shown in the problem if the focal point is too close to the diverging lens.
The red lines represent the focal points of the second lens.
The green lines represents two special rays to locate the image.

Attachments

• Paint image.jpg
    Paint image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
alingy1 said:
My mistake. The answer is b!
ehild, what I want to make sure is the following: what happens if the second lens, along with its focal point is much further away from the first lens. That is what I was saying with "the focal point of the divergent lens being right next to the divergent lens". What would seem to happen is that rays going through would diverge above and below by larger angles and prevent focusing. Am I not right?It can happen, yes. And the other thing can also happen, that the image moves farther. It depends on the focal distances and the distance between the lenses.

Can you derive the expression for the position of the image if you are given f1 and f2 and D the distance between the lenses ?

ehild

Related to Ray Tracing and Combination of Lenses

1. What is ray tracing?

Ray tracing is a technique used in optics to model the behavior of light as it travels through a medium. It involves tracing the paths of individual light rays as they interact with surfaces and objects, allowing for the prediction of how the light will be reflected, refracted, or absorbed.

2. How are lenses used in ray tracing?

Lenses are used in ray tracing to manipulate the behavior of light rays. They can focus or diverge light, change the direction of light rays, and even correct for optical aberrations. By combining multiple lenses, complex optical systems can be created to achieve specific purposes.

3. What is the role of combination of lenses in ray tracing?

The combination of lenses plays a crucial role in ray tracing as it allows for the creation of more complex optical systems. By combining lenses with different properties, such as different focal lengths or shapes, it is possible to achieve specific optical effects that would not be possible with a single lens. This is especially important in fields such as photography, microscopy, and telescope design.

4. What are some common applications of ray tracing and combination of lenses?

Ray tracing and combination of lenses are used in a wide range of applications, including photography, film and animation, virtual and augmented reality, astronomy, microscopy, and medical imaging. They are also used in the design of optical instruments, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes, as well as in the development of optical systems for scientific research and industrial processes.

5. What are the advantages of using ray tracing and combination of lenses?

The use of ray tracing and combination of lenses allows for more precise control and manipulation of light, resulting in better image quality and optical performance. They also offer a more flexible and customizable approach to designing optical systems, making it possible to achieve a wide range of optical effects and applications. Additionally, the use of ray tracing and combination of lenses can help reduce the size, weight, and cost of optical systems compared to traditional methods.