Rational functions: combine and simplify terms

In summary: Don't be shocked or confused. Just move on to the next question.In summary, the expression (4a)/(a+4) + (a+2)/(2a) cannot be simplified any further. The numerator (9a^2+6a+8) does not factor, and there are no common factors to cancel in the numerator and denominator. Knowing when simplification is not possible is an important part of understanding factorisation and simplification.
cptstubing

Homework Statement

(4a/a+4)+(a+2/2a)

Homework Equations

Just combine and then factor out

The Attempt at a Solution

It's actually fairly simple, but I'm having difficulty at the end.
/multiply each term by opposite denominator
4a(2a)/a+4(2a) + a+2(a+4)/2a(a+4)
/combine
4a(2a)+(a+2)(a+4) / a+4(2a)

=9a2+6a+8 / a+4(2a) ---- do I try to factor the numerator?
=a2+6a+72 / a+4(2a) ---- to this and keep going? There are no real roots.

=3a(3a+2)+8 / a+4(2a) ---- or do I factor the 9a2+6a, or possibly the 6a+8 and leave the 9a2?

I'd really appreciate some help with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

(4a/a+4)+(a+2/2a)

Homework Equations

/combine

=3a(3a+2)+8 / a+4(2a) ---- or do I factor the 9a2+6a, or possibly the 6a+8 and leave the 9a2?

What are you trying to do "at the end" exactly?

PeroK said:
The homework question is to "combine and simplify", and state restrictions. X cannot equal such and such a number.
I should be able to cancel some factors in the questions, but I cannot seem to.

cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

(4a/a+4)+(a+2/2a)
You have used parentheses, but not in a way that makes sense.
Using the usual rules of operator precedence, this is what you wrote:
##(\frac {4a}{a} + 4) + (a + \frac 2 2 a)##
The above simplifies to this
(4 + 4) + (a + a) = 8 + 2a

Presumably this isn't what you meant, which means you need to place parentheses around each numerator or denominator that has more than one term or factor, NOT just around the entire rational expression.

I'm guessing that what you really meant was this:
##\frac{4a}{a + 4} + \frac{a + 2}{2a}##
Using LaTeX, no parentheses are needed, but if you write the expression without LaTeX, it should probably be like so:
4a/(a + 4) + (a + 2)/(2a)
or possibly this:
4a/(a + 4) + (a + 2)a/2

Please tell us the expression you're starting with.
cptstubing said:

Homework Equations

/combine

cptstubing said:
The homework question is to "combine and simplify", and state restrictions. X cannot equal such and such a number.
I should be able to cancel some factors in the questions, but I cannot seem to.

You noted that the quadratic in the numerator does not factor, so I'm not sure what sort of simplification you think is possible. You've got to know when to stop!

Likes cptstubing
cptstubing said:

You could start by writing your rational expressions properly. None of the expressions you wrote means what you think it does. When a numerator or denominator has more than one term, you need to surround it with parentheses.

Likes cptstubing
Mark44 said:
You have used parentheses, but not in a way that makes sense.
Using the usual rules of operator precedence, this is what you wrote:
##(\frac {4a}{a} + 4) + (a + \frac 2 2 a)##
The above simplifies to this
(4 + 4) + (a + a) = 8 + 2a

Presumably this isn't what you meant, which means you need to place parentheses around each numerator or denominator that has more than one term or factor, NOT just around the entire rational expression.

I'm guessing that what you really meant was this:
##\frac{4a}{a + 4} + \frac{a + 2}{2a}##
Using LaTeX, no parentheses are needed, but if you write the expression without LaTeX, it should probably be like so:
4a/(a + 4) + (a + 2)/(2a)
or possibly this:
4a/(a + 4) + (a + 2)a/2

Please tell us the expression you're starting with.

Mark, yes.
You guessed correctly at what I meant. (4a)/(a+4) + (a+2)/(2a).
It's much easier to write this on paper than it is to do it on a keyboard. LaTeX is brand new to me and I had no idea what it meant until now.

PeroK said:
PeroK said:
You noted that the quadratic in the numerator does not factor, so I'm not sure what sort of simplification you think is possible. You've got to know when to stop!
If the homework says to combine and simplify, then I am certain they will have something to simplify. In the question so far, all I've done is combine terms to come out with (9a^2+6a+8) as a numerator, and (a+4)(2a) as a denominator.
The entire chapter has seen some simplification done at some point, usually by cancelling factors.
If there is actually no simplification necessary, I'm shocked and actually a bit confused.

cptstubing said:
If the homework says to combine and simplify, then I am certain they will have something to simplify. In the question so far, all I've done is combine terms to come out with (9a^2+6a+8) as a numerator, and (a+4)(2a) as a denominator.
The entire chapter has seen some simplification done at some point, usually by cancelling factors.
If there is actually no simplification necessary, I'm shocked and actually a bit confused.

I can't say why this question was included, but part of completely understanding factorisation and simplification is knowing when it isn't possible. Like knowing when you can't factorise a quadratic.

Likes cptstubing
cptstubing said:
Mark, yes.
You guessed correctly at what I meant. (4a)/(a+4) + (a+2)/(2a).
It's much easier to write this on paper than it is to do it on a keyboard. LaTeX is brand new to me and I had no idea what it meant until now.

You don't need to use LaTeX; writing 4a/(a+4) + (a+2)/(2a) is perfectly OK. It clear and unambiguous, and it means exactly what you wrote.

Note that you can write 4a/(a+4) instead of (4a)/(a+4), but you do need the parentheses around the second denominator; that is, you need to write (a+2)/(2a) rather than (a+2)/2a, because the latter is a little bit ambiguous---it could mean either ##\frac{a+2}{2a}## or ##\frac{a+2}{2} a##.

Likes cptstubing
Thank you all.

Related to Rational functions: combine and simplify terms

What are rational functions?

Rational functions are mathematical expressions that involve both a polynomial in the numerator and a polynomial in the denominator. They can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

How do you simplify a rational function?

To simplify a rational function, you must first factor the numerator and denominator. Then, you can cancel out any common factors in the numerator and denominator. Finally, rewrite the simplified expression in its simplest form.

What is the process for combining rational functions?

To combine rational functions, you must first find a common denominator. This can be done by multiplying the denominators of each fraction together. Then, rewrite each fraction with the common denominator and combine the numerators. Simplify the resulting expression if possible.

What are the restrictions for rational functions?

The restrictions for rational functions are any values of x that would make the denominator equal to 0. These values are called vertical asymptotes and must be excluded from the domain of the function.

What are some real-world applications of rational functions?

Rational functions can be used to model real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and financial investments. They can also be used in engineering and physics to describe the relationship between variables in a system.