Rational functions and link with direct substitution property

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a rational function and clarifies that a rational function is a function that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. Examples of rational functions are provided, including one with a root in the numerator and one with an absolute value. The conversation concludes by mentioning that the definition of a rational expression may vary and it is important to understand and remember the provided definition.
alingy1

Homework Statement

Hello,

I know the direct substitution property in calculus. But, the definition of a rational function still confuses me.

For example, are these rational functions:

y=(x^2+2x+1)/(x+1)

y=((x^2+2)^(1/2))/(x+1)

The denominator of the first one could cancel. So, is there still a ratio? Is it a rational function?

The second one has a root in the numerator. The exponents of are not integers. Is it still a rational function?

Please help me. I do not understand the definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rational expression: ratio of two polynomials; since 1 is a polynomial of order zero, y=x+1 is also a rational expression, as is y=1/x ... as long as you exclude zeros in the denominator.

A rational function is just a function which can be written as a rational expression. Your second example is not a rational expression, so y is not a rational function.

Thank you for the fast reply.
But, what do you mean by rational expression? I do not quite get it. What about if there was an absolute value in the function?

EDIT: I understand why the second one is not a rational expression! Thank you. I still have a doubt about absolute values.

Last edited:
Rational expression: from ratio of expressions - in this case the individual expressions are always polynomials, so a rational expression is simply the ratio of two polynomials.

Your text may extend this to include absolute value of a ratio of polynomials, but that is not what is usually meant. But you always need to look at (and understand, and remember) the definition which is provided.

Related to Rational functions and link with direct substitution property

1. What are rational functions?

Rational functions are functions that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomials. They are written in the form f(x) = P(x)/Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are polynomials and Q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. How do rational functions relate to direct substitution property?

The direct substitution property states that if a function f(x) is continuous at a point c, then the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to f(c). Rational functions follow this property because they are continuous at all points except for where the denominator is equal to 0, which is known as a vertical asymptote.

3. What is the significance of direct substitution property in solving rational functions?

The direct substitution property allows us to easily evaluate the limit of a rational function at a given point by simply plugging in the value for x. This makes it a useful tool in solving rational functions and finding the behavior of the function at specific points.

4. Can direct substitution be used for all types of functions?

No, direct substitution can only be used for continuous functions. It cannot be used for functions with vertical asymptotes or those that have a discontinuity at the point being evaluated.

5. How can rational functions be simplified using direct substitution?

Direct substitution can be used to simplify rational functions by evaluating the limit at a given point. If the limit exists, it can be used to find the value of the function at that point. If the limit does not exist, it indicates that the function has a vertical asymptote at that point.