Rational Expressions: Solving Homework with Difficulty

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values for which a rational expression is not defined. The person is struggling with staying focused in math and has to teach themselves using the book. They have the answer but are unsure of how to approach the problem. The other person suggests factoring the expression and finding the value of x that makes it equal to 0. The conversation concludes with the person understanding and thanking the other person for their help.
Annie_D

Homework Statement

x (squared) + x - 30

Find all numbers for which the rational expression is not defined.

i know this is really easy stuff, but i have a hard time staying focused in math, and i have to always teach myself with the book, but sometimes the book isn't very informative.

I have the answer, but don't know how to go about doing these problems. I know you like people to attempt them, but i don't even know where to begin after factoring the 30 .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When is a rational expression (a fraction) not defined? For what value is division impossible?

0, i got in now though. thanks anyway.

So for what x will x2 - 3x + 2 = 0? You need to factor this trinomial to answer that question.

Related to Rational Expressions: Solving Homework with Difficulty

1. What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. It can also be written as a ratio of two polynomial expressions.

2. How do you solve rational expressions?

To solve a rational expression, you need to follow the order of operations and simplify the expression by factoring and canceling common factors. Then, set the expression equal to 0 and solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

3. What are some common difficulties when solving rational expressions?

Some common difficulties when solving rational expressions include forgetting to factor or cancel common factors, making mistakes in algebraic manipulations, and not checking for extraneous solutions.

4. How do you check for extraneous solutions when solving rational expressions?

To check for extraneous solutions, you need to plug the solution back into the original expression and see if it makes the expression undefined or changes the value of the expression. If it does, then the solution is extraneous.

5. What are some tips for solving rational expressions homework with difficulty?

Some tips for solving rational expressions homework with difficulty include practicing consistently, double-checking your work, asking for help when needed, and reviewing past material to strengthen your understanding.