When the expression is a square of a rational number.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding when the square root of the expression 25+8a^2 is rational, where a is also a rational number. The conversation also explores the possibility of finding an expression for a in terms of another number m that satisfies the original requirement. Various examples and hints are provided for solving the problem, including adapting a proof for rational points on a circle to work for this case.
chingel

Homework Statement

I am trying to find when the square root of the expression [itex]25+8a^2[/itex] is rational, where the number a also needs to be rational. [itex]\sqrt{25+8a^2}=b[/itex], where a and b are both rational numbers. I am trying to get an expression for a in terms of some other number m, which would always make the number a satisfy the original requirement.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really done a problem like this before, but it looks a lot like Pythagorean triples [itex]5^2+(2\sqrt{2}a)^2=c^2[/itex], so I tried working something with the formula [itex](m^2-n^2)^2+(2mn)^2=(m^2+n^2)[/itex]. I didn't have any other ideas than simply substituting something in there, for example [itex]2\sqrt{2}a=2mn[/itex]; then [itex]m=\sqrt{2}a/n[/itex]; then [itex]2a^2/n^2-n^2=5[/itex], but this just gets me back to the beginning, if I multiply by n^2 and try to solve using the quadratic formula.

Any hints are appreciated. Some examples of a's that work are 0, 10/7 and 15/17.

Physics news on Phys.org
chingel said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find when the square root of the expression [itex]25+8a^2[/itex] is rational, where the number a also needs to be rational. [itex]\sqrt{25+8a^2}=b[/itex], where a and b are both rational numbers. I am trying to get an expression for a in terms of some other number m, which would always make the number a satisfy the original requirement.

Well , I don't quite understand what you are trying to prove. Are you trying to prove that if [itex]\sqrt{25+8a^2}[/itex] is rational , then a is also rational ?

If so then say ,

[itex]\sqrt{25+8a^2}[/itex] = p/q

where p and q are coprimes and q is not 0.

Work it out.

So basically, you need find the rational points on the hyperbola

[tex]x^2-8y^2 = 25[/tex]

See this link: http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC4/Handouts/elliptic/node4.html to find the rational points on the circle. Can you adapt the proof such that it works in this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean something like this?

[tex]a=\frac{5m}{2m^2-1}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{25+8a^2}=\sqrt{25+8\frac{25m^2}{(2m^2-1)^2}}=\sqrt{\frac{25(2m^2-1)^2+200m^2}{(2m^2-1)^2}}=[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{100m^4-100m^2+25+200m^2}{(2m^2-1)^2}}=\sqrt{\frac{100m^4+100m^2+25}{(2m^2-1)^2}}=\sqrt{\frac{(10m^2+5)^2}{(2m^2-1)^2}}=[/tex][tex]\frac{10m^2+5}{2m^2-1}[/tex]

Related to When the expression is a square of a rational number.

What does it mean for an expression to be a square of a rational number?

When an expression is a square of a rational number, it means that the expression can be written as the product of two identical rational numbers. In other words, the expression can be simplified to a rational number multiplied by itself.

How can you determine if an expression is a square of a rational number?

To determine if an expression is a square of a rational number, you can factor the expression and see if it can be written as the product of two identical rational numbers. Alternatively, you can take the square root of the expression and see if the result is a rational number.

Can an expression be a square of a rational number if the rational number is negative?

Yes, the rational number can be negative and the expression can still be a square of a rational number. For example, (-2/3)^2 is equal to 4/9, which is a rational number and therefore the expression is a square of a rational number.

What is the difference between an expression being a square of a rational number and just a rational number?

An expression that is a square of a rational number can be written as the product of two identical rational numbers, while a rational number can stand on its own without being multiplied by another number. Additionally, an expression can also be a square of a rational number if the rational number is negative.

Can an irrational number be the square of a rational number?

No, an irrational number cannot be the square of a rational number. This is because irrational numbers cannot be written as the ratio of two integers, which is the definition of a rational number. Therefore, an expression that is the square of a rational number will always result in a rational number.