Ratio volume of cylinder inside cone

In summary, the volume of an upright cylinder that can be inscribe in an upright cone is 4/9 times the volume of the cone. Differentiation was used to optimize the volume of the cylinder.
songoku

Homework Statement

Show that the volume of an upright cylinder that can be inscribe in an upright cone is 4/9 times the volume of cone

Homework Equations

volume of cone
volume of cylinder
differentiation ??
similarity of triangle

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the picture of cylinder inside a cone and by using similarity of triangle I got:
(H-h) / h = r / R
where: H = height of cone, h = height of cylinder, r = radius of cylinder, R = radius of cone

But I can't find the answer. The final form I can get is:
Vcylinder / Vcone = 3 (H - h)2/(Hh)

I encountered this problem in differentiation chapter. How to use differentiation to solve this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you are correct using similarity of triangle. After that you have to use the differentiation to optimize cylinder's volume, [tex]dV_c = 0[/tex].

Subsitute for h from the ratio into above eqn, to get the radius of cylinder.

and, finally you can proof it the ratio for cylinder's volume to cone.

lepton5 said:
yes, you are correct using similarity of triangle. After that you have to use the differentiation to optimize cylinder's volume, [tex]dV_c = 0[/tex].

Subsitute for h from the ratio into above eqn, to get the radius of cylinder.

and, finally you can proof it the ratio for cylinder's volume to cone.

From (H-h) / h = r / R ==> r = R (H-h) / h

Vcylinder=πr2h , substitute r from above equation
=πR2(H-h)2 / h

Assume R and H are constant and differentiating with respect to h
dV / dh = 0
-2πR2(H-h)h - πR2(H-h)2=0

After a little work, -h = H ? :cry:

It's more simple if you substitue for h, since h in eqn of cylinder volume is not quadratic form.

so subs [tex]h = H - \frac{H}{R} . r[/tex] to volume of cylinder.

then optimize it, the differential is more simple with this way.

lepton5 said:
It's more simple if you substitue for h, since h in eqn of cylinder volume is not quadratic form.

so subs [tex]h = H - \frac{H}{R} . r[/tex] to volume of cylinder.

then optimize it, the differential is more simple with this way.

I can't find the answer because the my equation obtained from similarity of triangle is different than yours. I don't know how to obtain your equation. Can you explain it a little bit more because from similarity I got (H-h) / h = r / R

Thanks

use this one, [tex] \frac{H - h}{H} = \frac{r}{R}[/tex].

you are wrong when you use h as denominator at left side, since you have equate it with R (radius of cone) you must also use H (height of cone).

can you see : big triangle vs little triangle (from top of cone).

lepton5 said:
use this one, [tex] \frac{H - h}{H} = \frac{r}{R}[/tex].

you are wrong when you use h as denominator at left side, since you have equate it with R (radius of cone) you must also use H (height of cone).

can you see : big triangle vs little triangle (from top of cone).

Ahh, why don't I realize it. Thanks :smile:

Related to Ratio volume of cylinder inside cone

What is the formula for finding the ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone?

The formula for finding the ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone is Vcylinder/Vcone = (πr^2h)/(1/3πr^2h) = 3/1 = 3:1, where r is the radius of the base of the cone and h is the height of the cylinder.

How does the ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone change with different dimensions?

The ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone remains 3:1 regardless of the dimensions of the cylinder and cone, as long as the cylinder fits perfectly inside the cone.

What is the significance of the ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone?

The ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone is significant because it represents the relationship between the two shapes. It shows that the volume of the cylinder is three times that of the cone, which can help in various calculations and comparisons.

How is the ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone used in real life?

The ratio of the volume of a cylinder inside a cone is used in real life in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and geometry. It helps in designing and building structures, calculating the capacity of containers, and understanding the properties of different shapes.

What are some other ratios involving the volume of a cylinder inside a cone?

Some other ratios involving the volume of a cylinder inside a cone include the ratio of the surface area of a cylinder to the surface area of a cone, which is also 3:1, and the ratio of the heights of the cylinder and cone, which is 3:1 if the radius of the cylinder is half the radius of the base of the cone.