Ratio test (convergent or divergent?)

In summary, the conversation discusses applying the Ratio Test to a series and the confusion about canceling out terms when multiplying by the reciprocal. The expert provides an explanation using the rules of exponents to clarify the confusion.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

Ʃ n / 2^n
n=1

Homework Equations

ratio test
lim |a(n+1) / a(n)|
n->∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer and the steps its just there's one part I am confused on,
first I just apply n+1 to all my n terms, which gives me,

Ʃ [(n+1)/2^(n+1)] / [n/2^n]
n=1

and if I multiply the a(n+1) part by the reciprocal of an, I don't understand how the terms 2^(n+1) and 2^n cancel each other out and leaves me with just a 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
consider rules of exponents (which boils down to multiplication). consider $$x*x=x^2$$ this is the same as $$x^1*x^1=x^{1+1}=x^2$$ thus it seems plausible that $$x^{n+1}=x^n*x^1$$ does this answer your question?

freshcoast said:

Homework Statement

Ʃ n / 2^n
n=1

Homework Equations

ratio test
lim |a(n+1) / a(n)|
n->∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer and the steps its just there's one part I am confused on,
first I just apply n+1 to all my n terms, which gives me,

Ʃ [(n+1)/2^(n+1)] / [n/2^n]
n=1
No it doesn't. In the Ratio Test you look at the ratio an+1/an, NOT the sum of that ratio.
freshcoast said:
and if I multiply the a(n+1) part by the reciprocal of an, I don't understand how the terms 2^(n+1) and 2^n cancel each other out and leaves me with just a 2?

Related to Ratio test (convergent or divergent?)

1. What is the ratio test?

The ratio test is a method used to determine whether an infinite series is convergent or divergent. It involves comparing the ratio of successive terms in the series to a limit, and if the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent.

2. How do you use the ratio test?

To use the ratio test, you must first find the limit of the ratio of successive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

3. What is the purpose of the ratio test?

The ratio test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. This information is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, as it helps us understand the behavior and properties of the series.

4. Can the ratio test be used for all series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series whose terms approach 0 as n approaches infinity. If the limit of the ratio of successive terms does not exist, the test cannot be used. In this case, another method, such as the comparison test, must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any limitations to the ratio test?

Yes, there are some limitations to the ratio test. It cannot be used to determine the convergence or divergence of alternating series, as the terms do not always approach 0. It also cannot be used to determine the sum of a series, only the convergence or divergence. In addition, the test may sometimes give inconclusive results, in which case another method must be used.